SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Transacting business with forum members who have not established a reputation here
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Transacting business with forum members who have not established a reputation here Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
It's like the old saying about starting a career- how do you build a reputation and gain experience if you have to have a reputation to get experience?

You have to start somewhere. There has to be a first transaction, so someone has to be trusting, but I would approach even low dollar exchanges with skepticism.

One has to wonder about the motivations of people who have scarce or desirable items for sale at prices too attractive to pass by. This is especially so when any such member has a low post count and/or is a recent registrant.

We've had a scammer with us for a short while and I guess he's done some damage.

This is a reminder to all here that thieves love forums such as this and they know how to push your buttons. Be very careful. Be skeptical. Ask questions and if anything looks fishy, don't go through with the deal.

The internet is heaven for thieves. Caveat emptor

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107222 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Thank you, sir, for weeding out the mofos.

Q

Posts: 26179 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
I notified Para as soon as I researched and realized he was a scammer but it was too late for me. I had already sent the money order. Hopefully it helps other members who have yet to send him anything.

New question. I sent a Postal Money Order signature required to the address and name he gave. What recourse do I have? Any chance I'll see my $915 again?

I think I'll go have an angry beer.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3578 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andyb:
I notified Para as soon as I researched and realized he was a scammer but it was too late for me. I had already sent the money order. Hopefully it helps other members who have yet to send him anything.

New question. I sent a Postal Money Order signature required to the address and name he gave. What recourse do I have? Any chance I'll see my $915 again?

Get to the post office NOW and have it cancelled. Explain to the postal clerk why.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:

Get to the post office NOW and have it cancelled. Explain to the postal clerk why.

Closed until 830 Monday :/ I plan to be there though

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3578 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
I notified Para as soon as I researched and realized he was a scammer

How did you figure out it was a scam?

Posts: 32398 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

They're open on Memorial Day? Eek

Q

Posts: 26179 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can you intercept / redirect the package? The signature confirmation might get it?

https://retail-pi.usps.com/ret...actions/index.action

What Is It?
Redirect a domestic shipment that hasn't been delivered or released for delivery. Available for packages, letters, and flats with a tracking or extra services barcode and all mail classes, except Standard Mail® and Periodicals (other restrictions may apply).

How It Works
Verify your shipment is eligible for Package Intercept.

If eligible, log in to your account and submit your request.

You'll receive an estimated total (estimated Priority Mail® postage plus intercept fees). We will then attempt to intercept and redirect the shipment.

The Postal Service® will make every effort to locate your item; however, there is no guarantee for this service.

If the package is intercepted, your credit card will be charged the Package Intercept fee plus the estimated postage. If the actual postage due is greater than the estimated postage, any additional postage due will be collected at delivery (or pickup).

Additional Information & Restrictions
Learn More

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13385 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
I notified Para as soon as I researched and realized he was a scammer

How did you figure out it was a scam?

He offered another rifle at a good price and I looked up the pics and found them in an auction from 2011. I googled the name he gave me plus gun and there were multiple threads on other forums with the same address of people who have been scammed.

Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
quote:
quote:

They're open on Memorial Day? Eek

Guess I'm boned till Tuesday

posted Hide Post
He sent me emails from one address but two different names- I was suspicious and found the Nightforce pictures on another forum from two years ago so I asked him for recent pictures. He said they were recent so I sent him the link to the original sale and his reply was that it looks the same and that he was the original seller. I was out then but next day he marked as sold so I notified Para.

Posts: 1067 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
andyb try that link immediately. You might be able to stop it now.

quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
Can you intercept / redirect the package? The signature confirmation might get it?

https://retail-pi.usps.com/ret...actions/index.action

What Is It?
Redirect a domestic shipment that hasn't been delivered or released for delivery. Available for packages, letters, and flats with a tracking or extra services barcode and all mail classes, except Standard Mail® and Periodicals (other restrictions may apply).

How It Works
Verify your shipment is eligible for Package Intercept.

If eligible, log in to your account and submit your request.

You'll receive an estimated total (estimated Priority Mail® postage plus intercept fees). We will then attempt to intercept and redirect the shipment.

The Postal Service® will make every effort to locate your item; however, there is no guarantee for this service.

If the package is intercepted, your credit card will be charged the Package Intercept fee plus the estimated postage. If the actual postage due is greater than the estimated postage, any additional postage due will be collected at delivery (or pickup).

Additional Information & Restrictions
Learn More

Posts: 1067 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Knuckledragger
Picture of IndyRob
posted Hide Post
quote:

Monday is Memorial Day, they'll be closed.

Posts: 7358 | Location: Greater Indianapolis Area | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nshumway:

Unfortunately it was delivered/signed for yesterday.

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Way to stay Heads Up and nail this SOB gang! I HATE thieves!

quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:

[url=https://retail-pi.usps.com/retailpi/actions/index.action]https://retail-pi.usps.com/ret...actions/index.actio
Learn More

Great suggestion! Until recently I didn't even know this service existed, but immediately after mailing a payment for a gun I realized the FFL had included both his defunct business address and his home address in his payment instructions and as poorly formatted as they were I used the wrong address. I caught the mistake in time, redirected the payment to the correct address, and it arrived as redirected. The cost of the redirect was more than the original USPS money order fee and Priority Mail which ticked me off...but in the end it was worth it. DON'T WAIT UNTIL THE POST OFFICE OPENS ON TUESDAY...REDIRECT PAYMENT THROUGH THE USPS WEBSITE RTFN! Good luck!

Ooops, wrting this while the fact payment had been delivered was posted.

Andyb, sorry to learn you got ripped off. Let us know the outcome.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by nshumway:

Unfortunately it was delivered/signed for yesterday.

Damn sorry to hear this andyyb

Posts: 1562 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Time Wounds
All Heels.
Picture of Cope
posted Hide Post
If you can confirm the identity and physical address of the individual, you should contact the local law enforcement office in his/her area. If the office is not swamped, they will put a Detective on it. This happened to me ten years or so ago, and the Detective tracked the guy down. He collected the funds from him, and sent me a Postal Money Order refund. This took a month or so, but I could not have been more pleased with the way my situation was handled.

----------------------------
Evolve. Revolve. Dissolve.

Posts: 1878 | Location: WNC | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I’d call your local PD and the LE with jurisdiction at the address where it was delivered.

Posts: 5999 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Contact USPS Inspectors. They're relentless. They may ask if you want to prosecute or get your funds back. My choice would be to prosecute. Restitution can come after adjudication in criminal trial. Get a felony arrest on his record.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of musc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
Contact USPS Inspectors. They're relentless. They may ask if you want to prosecute or get your funds back. My choice would be to prosecute. Restitution can come after adjudication in criminal trial. Get a felony arrest on his record.

^^ This. I had a similar situation about 6-7 years ago where I sent a USPS MO and was scammed. It look a few months but I did get my money back. I wish I had prosecuted but at that time I was to the point where I wanted my $2k back. You can contact the USPS inspectors a few different ways at the link below. Good luck sir.

http://about.usps.com/publicat...pub300a_tech_024.htm

Posts: 93 | Location: SC | Registered: January 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post