SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Transacting business with forum members who have not established a reputation here
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Transacting business with forum members who have not established a reputation here Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Yes, this is mail fraud. I would request both your funds back and let them know that you want to have the scum prosecuted.

http://about.usps.com/publicat...pub300a_tech_024.htm

"I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it." - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 87 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by musc:
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
Contact USPS Inspectors. They're relentless. They may ask if you want to prosecute or get your funds back. My choice would be to prosecute. Restitution can come after adjudication in criminal trial. Get a felony arrest on his record.

^^ This. I had a similar situation about 6-7 years ago where I sent a USPS MO and was scammed. It look a few months but I did get my money back. I wish I had prosecuted but at that time I was to the point where I wanted my $2k back. You can contact the USPS inspectors a few different ways at the link below. Good luck sir.

http://about.usps.com/publicat...pub300a_tech_024.htm

I would let them know this is a firearms related investigation. That may increase the urgency of their response...

Posts: 2320 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andyb:
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:
I notified Para as soon as I researched and realized he was a scammer but it was too late for me. I had already sent the money order. Hopefully it helps other members who have yet to send him anything.

New question. I sent a Postal Money Order signature required to the address and name he gave. What recourse do I have? Any chance I'll see my $915 again?

I think I'll go have an angry beer.

Get to the post office NOW and have it cancelled. Explain to the postal clerk why.

Closed until 830 Monday :/ I plan to be there though

For $900 I'd call the main office in the city and find out what time they close.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by nshumway:
andyb try that link immediately. You might be able to stop it now.

Unfortunately it was delivered/signed for yesterday.

Damn, that changes things.

Maybe call the local John Q. Law where his address is?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Postal Inspector all the way. They are less likely to brush you off.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:
I notified Para as soon as I researched and realized he was a scammer but it was too late for me. I had already sent the money order. Hopefully it helps other members who have yet to send him anything.

New question. I sent a Postal Money Order signature required to the address and name he gave. What recourse do I have? Any chance I'll see my $915 again?

I think I'll go have an angry beer.

Get to the post office NOW and have it cancelled. Explain to the postal clerk why.

Closed until 830 Monday :/ I plan to be there though

Are you in Oklahoma City? The airport post office is open today until 6pm and is open tomorrow (Sunday) from 9:30 AM until 6PM. They do close for a lunch hour. 6500 Air Cargo Road.

Edit: whoops sorry I posted before reading the whole thread. I see now what you sen was delivered. Maybe it's not been cashed yet? Wouldn't hurt to find out today.

Man that sucks, sorry this happened.

Posts: 11814 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any chance this went to my state? I'm aware of a repeat scammer in my area and can put you in contact with a detective who is handling cases involving him.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
+1 on the postal inspector. I was scammed online on a car engine many years ago. The postal inspector was ruthless and took care of finding the douchebag that scammed me.

Posts: 478 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
One reason I always pay with a USPS money order or check sent via US mail unless the person is known to be of good rep. Sorry you have to deal with this.

That P7M13 for $1700 was low this morning and had my spidey senses tingling.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
Thank you Para! I send dozens of packages out a week for members, whom all have established reputations on SF or referrals of members with built reputations. Thank you for keeping an eye out for us!

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6005 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Man, I'm really sorry this scumbag ripped you off.

+1 for contacting the Postal Inspector. His profile "says" his occupation is Law Enforcement. If that is true......which is a longshot.........and if you have his name and address, then see if you can figure out what agency he works for and call their Internal Affairs/Professional Standards unit and report him there as well.

Posts: 21 | Registered: March 22, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
No contact info in the profile.
How did he have things sent to him and communicate?

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
I'm really sorry this happened to you. I can't imagine how you feel, but hopefully you figured it out soon enough that you get it back.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sorry that happened. I guess it could have easily been me.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it happened close to MN let me know and I can look into it. Email in profile.

Posts: 373 | Registered: September 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, where does this scum live?

Posts: 2032 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Mad

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
If you post the bastage's name and the address that you sent the money order to, it might help prevent a similar loss from another member here.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by davetruong:
Thank you Para! I send dozens of packages out a week for members, whom all have established reputations on SF or referrals of members with built reputations. Thank you for keeping an eye out for us!

I feel the same way. I don't sell a lot, but I always list my item with USPO as the only payment. Once I find out the buyer is a name I recognize, and who has a well-established record of membership and participation, I'll accept a check, and they usually get my stuff before I receive their payment.

Thanks for keeping this place so well managed, Para.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is sad to hear that someone got scammed here. These jerks are doing this all over the place. Too bad we can't string 'em up.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post