SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is anyone else here hopelessly inept with chopsticks?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is anyone else here hopelessly inept with chopsticks? Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRIO:
I'm right handed, but I can use chop sticks better with my left hand.
<snip>

Now that’s an interesting possibility. I’m strongly right handed, but:
* I can button my right shirt sleeve with my left hand more easily than vice versa.
* I can easily snap the fingers of my left hand, but not my right hand.

I’ll have to give my left hand a shot at chopsticks usage. Thanks for that suggestion!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8856 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enjoy using them for sushi, meats, salads, etc. Usually eat rice with a fork though.

Posts: 1359 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I like them, no real issues.

The rubber band ones do help folks, I've seen.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
Wow, I haven't had chopstick food in a while. I'm ok with them, but mostly because when using them I have to actively think about every bite.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 769 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
We took my son out to a seafood/sushi place for his birthday. I ordered what is pictured below and managed to eat it with chopsticks including picking up single pieces of rice, but I’m far from proficient. It’s hard to tell from the picture, but all the pieces were oriented for someone who is right handed. The whole time I’m thinking to myself just F me for being left handed while trying to work the chopsticks.

Posts: 10824 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
My stepmother used to have us picking up marbles with chopsticks as kids to train us how to use them.

That's pretty hardcore. Awesome.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
I ordered what is pictured below and managed to eat it with chopsticks

I'd mention that the only items in the presentation that would require chopsticks is the ginger/wasabi...unless you have sashimi hiding on the other side.

Everything else that I can see is finger food

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I work in Chamblee, GA.

It's a requirement.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Interesting.

As far as I can remember, I have never had a pair of chopsticks in my hands and have never even seen anyone else, except for on TV, use them either. In addition I can not imagine any circumstance what so ever where I will in the future either.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Complete chopstick muppet. I am going to Japan in 9 years or so and maybe if I practice diligently I will be about as skilled with chopsticks as a Japanese toddler by the time I go.

Posts: 3128 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:

I'd mention that the only items in the presentation that would require chopsticks is the ginger/wasabi...unless you have sashimi hiding on the other side.

Screw that. Some sushi can get pretty darn messy. I'll stick to eating it with chopsticks.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Never was completely adept with them but enjoyed the experience. These days they are relegated to a kitchen drawer.

Some spare "cooking" chopsticks and "fancy" eating ones.

And a close up of the inlays

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thank you. I appreciate the tip and will remember it unlike the thread we had about this a few months ago which I couldn't remember at all. I messed up on the soy sauce to by dipping the rice instead of the fish, but I'll get that right next time as well. On the other hand, my wife and son ordered the crab, shrimp and lobster boil for which they bring you a bucket and bibs.

Posts: 10824 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
The only way I've ever been able to get anything into my mouth using chopsticks was to sharpen them and use them as skewers.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:

It is easier to eat pasta with chopsticks...whether you are a picker or a shoveler

I also recently learned that they are also handy when eating salads

THIS!!!!

We just had smoked salmon salad, this evening, and chopsticks were the only choice Smile

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
On the other hand, my wife and son ordered the crab, shrimp and lobster boil for which they bring you a bucket and bibs.

One of my favorites...more finger food

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too, have to admit that a set of chopsticks has never met my hands.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I am not slilled with them, but I can at least get through a meal using them, if it's chunky enough. Years ago I used to use chopsticks when I ate Almond Chicken at the local Friday's. Alas, there is no nearby Friday's to me any more.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
We bought a pair of training chopsticks—-fastened together and with a ring for one finger—-for our granddaughter and she caught on right away.

Posts: 18018 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Most groovy!!!

Big Grin

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post