SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Traffic ticket while in Europe
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Traffic ticket while in Europe Login/Join 
easy money
posted
Hello,

In October my wife and I were in Paris and then Turin Italy for two weeks. About a week ago a ticket showed up in the mail for some violation - it’s in Italian, with only a few parts of text in English - so I don’t know exactly what it’s for. Quite frankly, I really don’t care, as driving in Italy was a REAL learning experience and we are happy to have survived! It was from some camera; there was nothing so significant as to involve harm to another or anything like that. My hunch is that it’s a speeding ticket. The question that I’d like to ask here is this: what happens if I disregard it?

Thank you,

Jim

That which doesn't kill you only makes you stronger

Posts: 576 | Location: United States | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Most likely a speeding ticket.

And absolutely nothing will happen to you if you disregard it. Until perhaps you one day return to Italy.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
what happens if I disregard it?

Ever going back to Italy?

If No, then fugetaboutit !

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe a warrant for your arrest. That will be fun times if you ever try to cross a border and they run your name.

Posts: 5418 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Unless you're Foxy Knoxy, the Italians have already forgotten about it.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just as a last “fuck you” to my unit I got a Speeding ticket in a government vehicle on purpose maybe 3 weeks before I got out and left Germany. They usually take a month or so to get to your chain of command.. well mine came early and got there 3 days before I left.
I got “counseled” then I got yelled at for smirking when I got told to go pay it. Then a few days later I left without paying it.
That was 6, almost 7 years ago. Nothing happened and you have nothing to worry about, those cameras probably got you for going 5mph over the limit anyway. Fuck them

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/3940015054

My response was pay

I still have an outstanding bill of €100 in Italy. My Italian friends say to pay it or I cannot rent a car again. The polizia gave me a website so I could see the picture of me committing the offense in Pisa. No picture.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
Maybe a warrant for your arrest. That will be fun times if you ever try to cross a border and they run your name.

Very small chance of that.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I got a parking ticket in Toronto three years (four license plates) ago. I'd like to return to Canada sometime in the future but they never mailed me anything and I lost the ticket.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8021 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
How much is it? It could affect your ability to visit any EU country if you don’t pay it. However, you would probably just have to pay it then.

Posts: 691 | Registered: January 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Late fines and penalties add up over time.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised you got a ticket. I was in Italy for about 10 days last year. When driving across Sicily I drove through no less than 5 speed camera setups (clearly identified) following somebody at way higher than the posted speed. I fully expected to get some expensive tickets but never received one. I was driving a rental car.

Posts: 1773 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig Sauer Kraut:
How much is it? It could affect your ability to visit any EU country if you don’t pay it.

Where do you guys come up with this stuff?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

posted Hide Post
If you were driving a rental car, could they get the car rental agency to charge your cc if you don’t pay by the due date?

Posts: 1179 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
quote:
How much is it? It could affect your ability to visit any EU country if you don’t pay it. However, you would probably just have to pay it then.

^^^ Best advice and accurate statement ^^^

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
How much is it? It could affect your ability to visit any EU country if you don’t pay it.

I was prevented from entering ZUR by air until clearing a speeding ticket "acquired" by mail 2 months after picking up our BMW in Munich. I ignored it, but a year later had to not only pay the 80 euro DE fine but a CHF 250 penalty before I was admitted to Switzerland.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Better be careful Interpol is on it! Just fly back and contest it in court. Take an Italian friend who speaks the language.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim1970:
Hello,

In October my wife and I were in Paris and then Turin Italy for two weeks. About a week ago a ticket showed up in the mail for some violation - it’s in Italian, with only a few parts of text in English - so I don’t know exactly what it’s for. Quite frankly, I really don’t care, as driving in Italy was a REAL learning experience and we are happy to have survived! It was from some camera; there was nothing so significant as to involve harm to another or anything like that. My hunch is that it’s a speeding ticket. The question that I’d like to ask here is this: what happens if I disregard it?

Thank you,

Jim

They will send "Skinny Vinny", "Fat Angelo" and "Louie the Lip" to collect money.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:

Very small chance of that.

While true, is it a chance worth taking? Just like that Virginia State Police speed thread, some times they love to target out of towners. I dont know how other countries operate and people often get confused and think they have the same rights as home.

Posts: 5418 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aileron:
quote:
quote:

I was prevented from entering ZUR by air until clearing a speeding ticket "acquired" by mail 2 months after picking up our BMW in Munich. I ignored it, but a year later had to not only pay the 80 euro DE fine but a CHF 250 penalty before I was admitted to Switzerland.

Interesting.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)