SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Traffic ticket while in Europe
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Traffic ticket while in Europe Login/Join 
Picture of Sig Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
It likely depends on the country and what info the rental car company passed to the police. If no passport was oven to the rental car company for the OP, then it’s unlikely immigration in another EU country would even connect the two. If the rental company had his passport number and gave it to the police, then it is possible.

Things are more connected now than they used to be with advancements in technology.

The reason I asked OP the amount was because just paying it might be the easiest choice.

Off topic rant, Italy is becoming more and more unfriendly to tourists. The country is going to cut off its nose to spite its face of it isn’t careful. We got fined substantially for not knowing that an unmarked 4x6” box was to validate a regional train ticket. The train attendant basically called us stupid that we didn’t read the tiny small print on the back of the tickets. The country is having financial difficulties and it’s discouraging its biggest industry.

Posts: 691 | Registered: January 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
When I was in Naples in the early 70s the stinking taxi drivers would drive down the sidewalks when traffic was backed up so they could get their fare to their destination and get back to the pier to get some more. Never saw them get ticketed!

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1113 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig Sauer Kraut:
It likely depends on the country and what info the rental car company passed to the police. If no passport was oven to the rental car company for the OP, then it’s unlikely immigration in another EU country would even connect the two. If the rental company had his passport number and gave it to the police, then it is possible.

Passport is the predominant ID in Europe. Never heard of a rental company not asking for a passport. Go to the bank. Show passport. Check into hotel. Show passport. Visit embassy. Show passport. Visit parliament. Show passport. Europeans carry their passport like we carry our DL.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Mail them a picture of the cash!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
Europeans carry their passport like we carry our DL.

That's a bit exaggerated. Most don't simply carry around a passport as a matter of course. In fact, my wife and I recently stayed in a hotel in Paris and never showed a passport.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
Just as a last “fuck you” to my unit I got a Speeding ticket in a government vehicle on purpose maybe 3 weeks before I got out and left Germany. They usually take a month or so to get to your chain of command.. well mine came early and got there 3 days before I left.
I got “counseled” then I got yelled at for smirking when I got told to go pay it. Then a few days later I left without paying it.
That was 6, almost 7 years ago. Nothing happened and you have nothing to worry about, those cameras probably got you for going 5mph over the limit anyway. Fuck them

I got a speeding ticket in 1971 in Berlin. I was in the service and I had to go some Major about something. Radar camera ticket. I was told to be careful and that was the end of it. They also had red light cameras back then in Berlin.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enjoy Computer Living
Picture of LoungeChair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
quote:

Passport is the predominant ID in Europe. Never heard of a rental company not asking for a passport. Go to the bank. Show passport. Check into hotel. Show passport. Visit embassy. Show passport. Visit parliament. Show passport. Europeans carry their passport like we carry our DL.

This is not true. Most Europeans carry a national identity card that is issued by their national government.

-Loungechair

Posts: 676 | Registered: October 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Getting pinched in Austria:
While in Europe on Uncle Sugars dime, I often drove into Austria to stay at a Gasthof in Villach. After such a visit, I was on my way back to Italy and driving in my usual exuberant style when a white VW Bug, equipped with a tiny rotating blue light began to chase me. I should mention that we had been briefed to avoid the local cops at all costs, as they were known to have very little tolerance for GIs. So the appearance of the Pursuit Model Bug was pretty alarming. Present in my vehicle were my wife, a second generation American-German chick who was fluent in German and two of my buddies. Once we stopped, a uniformed cop approached the drivers side of the car and asked for my drivers license in German, Italian, and French. I claimed to not understand and began to hand the cop all kinds of papers and coupons, none of which had anything to do with motor vehicle operation. As this was happening, my two friends bailed out of the car and started taking pictures of the cop and the Pursuit Bug. This visibly irritated the cop and my wife whispered that the cop was telling me to get out of the car. After a couple more minutes of the ignorant American act, the cop opened my door and pulled me from the car. An Austrian ass kicking and jail seemed likely, so I did not resist. My buddies declined to assist. The cop then motioned for me to follow him and we began to walk away from the stop and up the road. I assumed this was an effort to cut down on witnesses to my thumping but I went along peacefully. After about a quarter mile hike, the cop stopped and pointed out a road sign to me. It was a no passing sign. And before the Pursuit Bug chased me, I had just passed a semi.
I could no longer claim ignorance and surrendered my International Drivers License. And fifty marks, too. For years I kept the framed ticket on my wall.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16096 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ergoproxy
posted Hide Post
I wonder if a system exist that they will report it to all EU member countries if you dont pay. If it is not too much, and planning on returning there, if it was me, I'll just pay the piper.

Posts: 1158 | Location: USA | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
I would pay the fine, I'm in Europe at least once a year... and would be a PIA to be denied a rental.

Yeah, driving in Italy is a learning experience... Naples is Super Mario Carts.

Otherwise the superstrada is kinda fun.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you would like it translated please send me a scan of the ticket.

We have an office in Turin, and my boss is from there as well so I can ask him or another colleague to translate.

I've never received a ticket while there so I can't speak specifically to Italy, but I did receive one from a speed camera in France. All that happened was I received a €20 charge to my credit card from Hertz. I called and inquired about it. I was told the charge is for having to provide information to the police which they are required by law to do, but that would be the end of it as they would not pursue it further for a non EU citizen.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
easy money
posted Hide Post
Hello!

Thank you for all the responses.

Ubelongoutside ... I may indeed take you up on your offer to translate.

The account used to fund the trip and rental car has been closed. My morals say to pay it as I would like to see more of Europe in the future. Damn morals!

Thanks again folks!

Jim

That which doesn't kill you only makes you stronger

Posts: 576 | Location: United States | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Well..... Are you ever going to go back?

Let's look at if from a cost/benifit analysis...

If you will EVER go back to Europe, then you could be screwed and sped a few days in jail there. That would suck and I wold pay the fee to avoid it.

If, like me, you have made one appearance in Europe, and will most likely never make another.... Well then good luck my friends... come collect your fines... And serpentine.... and realize I'm in the USofA and you don't scare me... and again... Serpentine....

Just sayin'

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
If you’re planning on visiting the EU in the future, pay it.. According to the Italian Traffic Code, the police have only 360 days after receiving identification of the driver of the vehicle (that is, the date that The car rental agency provided your U.S. address) within which to notify foreign drivers of the fine. This information is provided on the website of European Municipality Outsourcing (EMO), an independent agency linked to Florence-based debt collection agency Nivi Credit, which many Italian police forces have tasked with collecting the fines. FYI: Although you could have run up a bunch of speeding fines, my bet is the infraction will turn out to be a ZTL violation.
The ZTL zones in the historic areas of many cities are one of the reasons why many people urge travelers to use trains rather than rental cars except when they are needed to visit the countryside. That suggestion, and information on traffic laws, appears in most guidebooks to Italy. It's very risky to head off on a driving vacation in a different country without researching its traffic laws in advance. It can turn into a very costly experience.

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by PD:

That's a bit exaggerated. Most don't simply carry around a passport as a matter of course. In fact, my wife and I recently stayed in a hotel in Paris and never showed a passport.

That’s because you’re special. Wink My travel partners and I have not only displayed a passport in every hotel we’ve stayed in but the front desk makes a copy of the passport and adds that to the traveler’s file.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I've gotten plenty of photo radar tix in Germany, never paid any of them, go back every year, rent a car every year, never had a problem, and I regularly stay with a German cop buddy. Problem is that the tickets always arrive well after their due date. So whatever I pay (if I were to do so) would not satisfy the amount due after the late fees, which wouldn't be listed on the original ticket. It'd be difficult to straighten out, but I don't even bother because the foreign wire transfer fee is always more than the fine amount. I'll pay a 40 Euro fine if I know it will be done with at that. Not paying that and $40 for the privilege of sending it to them.

I've heard CH is pretty tough on this though.

Posts: 3540 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
So depending on where you live - a different enforcer from the mob will have enforcement duties.
Guido will arrive sooner or later.
Eek

Posts: 22910 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by PD:

That’s because you’re special. Wink My travel partners and I have not only displayed a passport in every hotel we’ve stayed in but the front desk makes a copy of the passport and adds that to the traveler’s file.

Are your travel partners and you all Americans? Quite a bit different between Americans traveling and Europe and citizens of an EU country traveling in the EU.

Posts: 691 | Registered: January 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aileron:
I was prevented from entering ZUR by air until clearing a speeding ticket "acquired" by mail 2 months after picking up our BMW in Munich. I ignored it, but a year later had to not only pay the 80 euro DE fine but a CHF 250 penalty before I was admitted to Switzerland.

Switzerland and Italy, two very different cultures when it comes to compliance and bureaucracy.
quote:
Off topic rant, Italy is becoming more and more unfriendly to tourists. The country is going to cut off its nose to spite its face of it isn’t careful. We got fined substantially for not knowing that an unmarked 4x6” box was to validate a regional train ticket. The train attendant basically called us stupid that we didn’t read the tiny small print on the back of the tickets. The country is having financial difficulties and it’s discouraging its biggest industry.

If there's one thing Italian authorities will crawl up your ass about, its skipping out on a train fare; there's likely a several paragraph section about it in whatever guidebook you used. Firstly, the validation thing is pretty archaic considering how the N.Europe train systems function, but, it's how they do it and it's cheap. Many Italians make it a point of pride and a small way to 'Stick-it to the Man' when skipping-out on train fares nevertheless, it's an issue. Trains are hugely important to the country and fare scofflaws are the biggest source of lost revenue, govt subsidies is the only way they're able to keep the trains running.
quote:
Originally posted by PD:

What...? Unless you're ONLY hanging-out in tourist areas, every country has a national ID card. Workers know you're a tourist, thus, they'll ask for your passport.

OP: I do know of others who've torn-up the notice and not had any issue upon traveling through Europe. Given the connectivity of the modern world, if you plan on using that same rental car company again, probably best to pay the fine. Never heard of somebody getting stopped at passport control because of an unpaid vehicle ticket. If left unpaid, the debt will be sold to a collections agency, and again, given the connectivity of the modern world, you may want to pay before that happens.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by PD:

That’s because you’re special. Wink

Traveling in France with a native does tend to spoil you; I can certainly attest to that.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post