SIGforum
Traffic ticket while in Europe

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/5460081154

December 22, 2018, 09:42 AM
Jim1970
Traffic ticket while in Europe
Hello,

In October my wife and I were in Paris and then Turin Italy for two weeks. About a week ago a ticket showed up in the mail for some violation - it’s in Italian, with only a few parts of text in English - so I don’t know exactly what it’s for. Quite frankly, I really don’t care, as driving in Italy was a REAL learning experience and we are happy to have survived! It was from some camera; there was nothing so significant as to involve harm to another or anything like that. My hunch is that it’s a speeding ticket. The question that I’d like to ask here is this: what happens if I disregard it?

Thank you,

Jim

That which doesn't kill you only makes you stronger
December 22, 2018, 09:46 AM
Balzé Halzé
Most likely a speeding ticket.

And absolutely nothing will happen to you if you disregard it. Until perhaps you one day return to Italy.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle
December 22, 2018, 09:47 AM
RHINOWSO
quote:
what happens if I disregard it?

Ever going back to Italy?

If No, then fugetaboutit !

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

December 22, 2018, 09:56 AM
gpbst3
Maybe a warrant for your arrest. That will be fun times if you ever try to cross a border and they run your name.

December 22, 2018, 09:57 AM
Fenris
Unless you're Foxy Knoxy, the Italians have already forgotten about it.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.
December 22, 2018, 10:06 AM
limblessbiff
Just as a last “fuck you” to my unit I got a Speeding ticket in a government vehicle on purpose maybe 3 weeks before I got out and left Germany. They usually take a month or so to get to your chain of command.. well mine came early and got there 3 days before I left.
I got “counseled” then I got yelled at for smirking when I got told to go pay it. Then a few days later I left without paying it.
That was 6, almost 7 years ago. Nothing happened and you have nothing to worry about, those cameras probably got you for going 5mph over the limit anyway. Fuck them
December 22, 2018, 10:17 AM
PD
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/3940015054

My response was pay

I still have an outstanding bill of €100 in Italy. My Italian friends say to pay it or I cannot rent a car again. The polizia gave me a website so I could see the picture of me committing the offense in Pisa. No picture.
December 22, 2018, 10:50 AM
Balzé Halzé
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
Maybe a warrant for your arrest. That will be fun times if you ever try to cross a border and they run your name.

Very small chance of that.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

December 22, 2018, 10:58 AM
Chowser
I got a parking ticket in Toronto three years (four license plates) ago. I'd like to return to Canada sometime in the future but they never mailed me anything and I lost the ticket.

Not minority enough!
December 22, 2018, 10:58 AM
Sig Sauer Kraut
How much is it? It could affect your ability to visit any EU country if you don’t pay it. However, you would probably just have to pay it then.
December 22, 2018, 11:11 AM
Aeteocles
Late fines and penalties add up over time.
December 22, 2018, 11:16 AM
cruiser68
I'm surprised you got a ticket. I was in Italy for about 10 days last year. When driving across Sicily I drove through no less than 5 speed camera setups (clearly identified) following somebody at way higher than the posted speed. I fully expected to get some expensive tickets but never received one. I was driving a rental car.
December 22, 2018, 11:23 AM
Balzé Halzé
quote:
Originally posted by Sig Sauer Kraut:
How much is it? It could affect your ability to visit any EU country if you don’t pay it.

Where do you guys come up with this stuff?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

December 22, 2018, 11:35 AM
tsmccull
If you were driving a rental car, could they get the car rental agency to charge your cc if you don’t pay by the due date?
December 22, 2018, 11:45 AM
aileron
quote:
How much is it? It could affect your ability to visit any EU country if you don’t pay it. However, you would probably just have to pay it then.

^^^ Best advice and accurate statement ^^^
December 22, 2018, 11:49 AM
aileron
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
How much is it? It could affect your ability to visit any EU country if you don’t pay it.

I was prevented from entering ZUR by air until clearing a speeding ticket "acquired" by mail 2 months after picking up our BMW in Munich. I ignored it, but a year later had to not only pay the 80 euro DE fine but a CHF 250 penalty before I was admitted to Switzerland.
December 22, 2018, 12:03 PM
ZSMICHAEL
Better be careful Interpol is on it! Just fly back and contest it in court. Take an Italian friend who speaks the language.
December 22, 2018, 12:08 PM
GWbiker
quote:
Originally posted by Jim1970:
Hello,

In October my wife and I were in Paris and then Turin Italy for two weeks. About a week ago a ticket showed up in the mail for some violation - it’s in Italian, with only a few parts of text in English - so I don’t know exactly what it’s for. Quite frankly, I really don’t care, as driving in Italy was a REAL learning experience and we are happy to have survived! It was from some camera; there was nothing so significant as to involve harm to another or anything like that. My hunch is that it’s a speeding ticket. The question that I’d like to ask here is this: what happens if I disregard it?

Thank you,

Jim

They will send "Skinny Vinny", "Fat Angelo" and "Louie the Lip" to collect money.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".
December 22, 2018, 12:10 PM
gpbst3
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:

Very small chance of that.

While true, is it a chance worth taking? Just like that Virginia State Police speed thread, some times they love to target out of towners. I dont know how other countries operate and people often get confused and think they have the same rights as home.

December 22, 2018, 12:12 PM
Balzé Halzé
quote:
Originally posted by aileron:
quote:
quote:

I was prevented from entering ZUR by air until clearing a speeding ticket "acquired" by mail 2 months after picking up our BMW in Munich. I ignored it, but a year later had to not only pay the 80 euro DE fine but a CHF 250 penalty before I was admitted to Switzerland.

Interesting.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)