SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Remote access software
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remote access software Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
We use Citrix and GoToMyPC. Both enterprise solutions, and we are 1,000+ employees across many states. Works for us.

Posts: 514 | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
Avoid "Citrix" we call it Shitrix.

Sounds like your IT department is full of retards.

Regardless, for the uninformed, Citrix is an enterprise-class solution, and one guy that wants to access one desktop is very unlikely to invest thousands of dollars in licensing and build servers to enable him to do so.

Really, Teamviewer is enterprise software, too. You can install it for free, but that's supposed to be for personal use only, nothing commercial. The cheapest Teamviewer license is $850/year and that license is for one connection at a time managed from up to 3 devices.

You don't need your own servers, though.

I'm aware. I wasn't talking about Teamviewer. I was specifically responding to the brilliant comment that I quoted. Wink

Oh, I know. It was more a related comment inspired by your post rather than a direct response.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:
If not a corporate environment, there could be any number of solutions, but he's going to have to set everything up ahead of time and needs to use very secure passwords. Some sort of VPN or tunneling software should be used so that the traffic he generates is encrypted.

Not a corporate environment. Two brothers who have been in business together for more than 50 years. VPN crossed my mind. I'm not sure what's involved with that.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:
If not a corporate environment, there could be any number of solutions, but he's going to have to set everything up ahead of time and needs to use very secure passwords. Some sort of VPN or tunneling software should be used so that the traffic he generates is encrypted.

Not a corporate environment. Two brothers who have been in business together for more than 50 years. VPN crossed my mind. I'm not sure what's involved with that.

There are many consumer-grade products which allow the use of a VPN.

For security's sake, if they are not tech-savvy, I would recommend them employing the services of a reputable local shop, and recommend they look at Meraki equipment. Meraki is owned by Cisco, and provides most of what full-on Cisco hardware provides, except that it is cloud-managed, and the hardware is much less expensive.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
TeamViewer works great! I use it to login to my desktop from my laptop when out of town. I didn't have to do anything other than download it on both computers. I used to pay for Logmein, but this works much better and is free!

Another one I use is Remote Desktop from Chrome. I really only use this so I can log into my desktop from my iPad or iPhone. All you need to do is download the app on your iOS and then set it up using your chrome browser.

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Team viewer either had a breach or they claimed that people were using the same password for multiple accounts and the other accounts were breached. Leaving the team viewer credentials exposed.

https://arstechnica.com/securi...n-mass-account-hack/

What ever you decide to use be sure to have a separate team viewer password.

I still recommend team viewer for use for the casual user.

Just turn it off when not needed.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Regardless, for the uninformed, Citrix is an enterprise-class solution, and one guy that wants to access one desktop is very unlikely to invest thousands of dollars in licensing and build servers to enable him to do so.

good point on Citrix being for an entire firm.

I know nothing of the competencies so it is quite possible of the IT department but I think the bigger problem lies with the 12 different software's that constantly require updating. According to the head IT dude they conf'ed with Citrix who said theyd have a fix in 30 days or so. This happened constantly. Hopefully your results were better but again, I am not in that dept so I couldnt tell ya.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
If he just needs access to files, and not actual remote access to run apps, etc. on the desktop, consider a backup solution like Carbonite.

I use this and in addition to automatic and flawless backups (after configuring to capture all the file types and folders I want), it also serves as an easy means to access any file that is on my desktop and therefore backed up. Can log in from any browser or their handheld/tablet apps.

Works GREAT for me and is an easy setup, doesn't require desktop access or even that it's on...

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I know nothing of the competencies so it is quite possible of the IT department but I think the bigger problem lies with the 12 different software's that constantly require updating. According to the head IT dude they conf'ed with Citrix who said theyd have a fix in 30 days or so. This happened constantly. Hopefully your results were better but again, I am not in that dept so I couldnt tell ya.

Not to be a dick, but perhaps then you should stick to giving recommendations on product you are actually familiar with?

My results are always better. Trust me. Citrix is what I do. Have been doing it the better part of 20 years. In that time, I've seen more botched deployments than I care to count - but every time, the fault lies with the guy who installed it - NOT the software. It is incredibly complex, and VERY feature-rich. Because of the level of complexity, it's very easy to screw it up. Just means whoever did it needs more training, or needs to stop doing it.

Your "head IT dude" is pulling your leg, likely because he is the guy who installed it and can't figure out how to make it work properly.

Sorry about the side-track, OP. And again, to be clear, I don't think Citrix is a good solution in this instance (to access one single PC, once in a while) - barring some VERY specific circumstances (access from outer space, for example).

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
If he just needs access to files, and not actual remote access to run apps, etc. on the desktop, consider a backup solution like Carbonite.

He needs to be able to download assignments from the web and print estimates at the remote location.

Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sorry about the side-track, OP.

I appreciate the input. I've come across a number of IT people in my time. Some were great, others were pretending they knew what they were doing. I am grateful to hear the straight story from everyone here.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
To me it is pretty clear.
If you can clear the prerequisites (see my earlier post) and have the skills (as minimal as it is) then configure MS RDP.
If not then use Team Viewer.
No real need to go any further.
This is not a mission critical Enterprise scenario so why over complicate it.
Yes there are other options for us IT guys (and I like Citrix btw) but that does not apply here.
YMMV

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Not to be a dick, but perhaps then you should stick to giving recommendations on product you are actually familiar with?

My results are always better. Trust me. Citrix is what I do. Have been doing it the better part of 20 years. In that time, I've seen more botched deployments than I care to count - but every time, the fault lies with the guy who installed it - NOT the software. It is incredibly complex, and VERY feature-rich. Because of the level of complexity, it's very easy to screw it up. Just means whoever did it needs more training, or needs to stop doing it.

Your "head IT dude" is pulling your leg, likely because he is the guy who installed it and can't figure out how to make it work properly.

Sorry about the side-track, OP. And again, to be clear, I don't think Citrix is a good solution in this instance (to access one single PC, once in a while) - barring some VERY specific circumstances (access from outer space, for example).

Thats excellent you like citrix and are able to successfully deploy it. Any tool applied properly can work as designed. I have no doubt in your ability in the IT realm. Just sharing my experience from an old employer.

Regardless of my expertise I gave him the same advice you did on citrix... carry on.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post