SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Remote access software
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remote access software Login/Join 
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted
What is the best software to use to access a desktop remotely? My Dad wants to be able to access his desktop at work 2000 miles away when he visits us here in Utah. Once in a while things go wrong there while he is away, and he needs to look up and/or print something remotely.

There seem to be a few options, including using a feature built into Windows 7. My concern is I am not an IT person, and I am not familiar with the security implications/risks of opening ports and using the various software options available.

In the past he has used GoToMyPc.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bent but not broken
Picture of maddy345
posted Hide Post
I use VNC Viewer occasionally. Great for limited use and you don't need a static IP.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

God bless the Motor Life Boat and the men & women that run them!

Posts: 3955 | Location: Just out of reach | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Teamviewer was the most recommended one when I asked about this.

Posts: 17881 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Windows Remote Desktop is the best choice.

Posts: 172 | Registered: August 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Avoid "Citrix" we call it Shitrix.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CS200:
Windows Remote Desktop is the best choice.

Will you please explain why you like Windows Remote Desktop? Is it reasonably secure as compared with the other options?

posted Hide Post
I like windows built-in RDP for within LAN (speed is almost like your sitting at the PC), but teamviewer is just too damn easy to set up & forget for working remotely.
My use case seems similar to what you want to do - remotely diagnosing & fixing family/friends issues w/o going there. I would suggest Teamviewer.
1) Install TV on both computers
2) Remember the IDs/passwords OR add them to your account
3) Done

Windows RDP is arguably more secure since you're not using a 3rd party server, but it's many more steps to setup & if you don't know what you are doing, you are leaving holes in your firewall. If you don't have a static IP / DynDNS and don't have anything else that needs to use it, I wouldn't bother with RDP.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
I use Windows RDP over a VPN for most machines in the office and TeamViewer for all others. TeamViewer is nice and easy - no holes to punch in the firewall.

For your dad's purposes, I'd highly recommend TeamViewer.

Posts: 1800 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
If you use RDP, make very certain you use a strong password on all enabled accounts.

For those who will be using specific device to connect to the RDP host, you can set a firewall NAT to only allow RDP (port 3389 unless you change that on the RDP host) from your device/network and then lock down the host's firewall (router) to drop any other RDP traffic.

I have made a lot of money over the years cleaning up networks that were compromised by folks exploiting RDP and weak passwords.

No matter what you use, use a separate password for the remote access and not anything you use anywhere else at all.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Team viewer is the easiest.
MS RDP is better however there are several things you need to do to make it work.
1. Only Pro versions can host (the computer you are connecting to) ie: can't connect to Home version but a Home version can be a client.
2. You will need to forward port 3389 (default port) in your router.
3. You will need a static IP or have a Dynamic DNS service running/configured to keep track of your public IP.
4. You should set the desktop (host machine) with a static IP or config a reservation on your DHCP server (usually the router).
Deploying a VPN first is most secure but not necessary in most home scenarios.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I use TeamViewer as well as MS Remote Desktop for multiple computers daily. For what your Dad wants, IMO, TeamViewer is the clear choice.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
If the system where he'll be is also Windows, why not use the built-in functionality?

Someone on the home system would need to initiate the session, and send the invite details to your dad.

I've used it a couple times and it seemed solid.

Preface this with a disclaimer - I am not a security guru - but if the capability is generally off, only enabled for the one session and then turned back off, it seemed fairly low-risk to me.

If he has 'GoToMyPC' and likes it, maybe he could bring a copy with him, install it on your machine and do it that way? Not sure cost/licensing issues with that - the built-in Windows functionality is of course free.

Posts: 15025 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:

Sounds like your IT department is full of retards.

Regardless, for the uninformed, Citrix is an enterprise-class solution, and one guy that wants to access one desktop is very unlikely to invest thousands of dollars in licensing and build servers to enable him to do so.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
quote:

Regardless, for the uninformed, Citrix is an enterprise-class solution, and one guy that wants to access one desktop is very unlikely to invest thousands of dollars in licensing and build servers to enable him to do so.

Really, Teamviewer is enterprise software, too. You can install it for free, but that's supposed to be for personal use only, nothing commercial. The cheapest Teamviewer license is $850/year and that license is for one connection at a time managed from up to 3 devices.

You don't need your own servers, though.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:
quote:

Really, Teamviewer is enterprise software, too. You can install it for free, but that's supposed to be for personal use only, nothing commercial. The cheapest Teamviewer license is $850/year and that license is for one connection at a time managed from up to 3 devices.

You don't need your own servers, though.

I'm aware. I wasn't talking about Teamviewer. I was specifically responding to the brilliant comment that I quoted. Wink

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

This really cracked me up.

Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Are there any security issues with GoToMyPC? Maybe he's better off using that.

I don't see them paying for Teamviewer to use remote software 5 or 6 times a year.

Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
TeamViewer for the win! Easy to install and easy to run. Create a free account and you're set.

I run it on my personal computers and also at work. Can support any of you SF friends in just a few clicks and keystrokes. Works like a charm.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12106 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
Are there any security issues with GoToMyPC? Maybe he's better off using that.

I don't see them paying for Teamviewer to use remote software 5 or 6 times a year.

No experience with GoToMyPC - however, I'm pretty sure he can use the free version of TeamViewer to access his machine remotely.

Posts: 1800 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
If this is a corporate environment, I'd be surprised if his IT department doesn't have an approved solution. They would probably not even allow remote access from just anyone either.

If not a corporate environment, there could be any number of solutions, but he's going to have to set everything up ahead of time and needs to use very secure passwords. Some sort of VPN or tunneling software should be used so that the traffic he generates is encrypted.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post