SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What are you cooking for Thanksgiving?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are you cooking for Thanksgiving? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Gathering was at an older relatives home. Since they host, we do a potluck.
I did mashed potatoes...inspired by Joshua Weissman this year.

Confit Garlic Mashed Potatoes

I added more liquid (1/2 cup milk, 1/2 cup heavy cream) since were staying heated & served in a low temp crackpot. Didn't want them to get dry. I did the rosemary, thyme, and sage in the olive oil confit. I used 2lbs of russet & 2lbs of Yukon Gold potatoes, 1 lb turnip. Russet alone seem too dry of a texture. With all of the variety people brought, there was about a pound remaining with 10 attending.

One lesson learned, the turnip was a bit underdone compared to potatoes. Next time, cut the turnip in smaller bits. A bit hard to go through the ricer.

Posts: 1577 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Mashed celery root and potato is also delicious, I’ve never had it with turnips but sounds really good.

Posts: 34518 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great idea of using celery root! I got to try that sometime.

--Tom
The right of self preservation, in turn, was understood as the right to defend oneself against attacks by lawless individuals, or, if absolutely necessary, to resist and throw off a tyrannical government.

Posts: 1577 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Thanksgiving part 1 was a success. I'm a guest at this one so just bring a couple sides and wine. Grandma's peanut butter pie was a hit as always. Not many takers on the cranberry jalapeno relish, but I liked it. I got to drive a Mercedes AMG convertible with the big V8 biturbo motor so that was awesome.

Thanks giving part 2 (I'm the host) was postponed until tomorrow. Bone-in turkey breast is brining, and with any luck it should come off the BGE during the half-time of the tOSU vs UofM game (also Purdue vs IU). Yes, I realize only marginal improvements possible when brining a turkey that was already mechanically injected with brine prior to the chicken processing plant freezing it, but it made me feel better that I was doing something with the day delay.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23645 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
It was just Mrs. Warhorse and I this year, Bob Evans cooked and served our Thanksgiving dinner. We enjoyed it.

Posts: 13715 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRIO:
Gathering was at an older relatives home. Since they host, we do a potluck.
I did mashed potatoes...inspired by Joshua Weissman this year.

Confit Garlic Mashed Potatoes

I added more liquid (1/2 cup milk, 1/2 cup heavy cream) since were staying heated & served in a low temp crackpot. Didn't want them to get dry. I did the rosemary, thyme, and sage in the olive oil confit. I used 2lbs of russet & 2lbs of Yukon Gold potatoes, 1 lb turnip. Russet alone seem too dry of a texture. With all of the variety people brought, there was about a pound remaining with 10 attending.

One lesson learned, the turnip was a bit underdone compared to potatoes. Next time, cut the turnip in smaller bits. A bit hard to go through the ricer.

Not necessarily traditional, but I love garlicky mash potatoes. I used butter to soften the garlic up yesterday, but I think mashed roast garlic instead is heavenly. Plus, a great roast garlic hack is to just put them, skin on, in a skillet and heat them up really well for a bit. I use a non-stick, thin-bottom aluminum skillet. This works fantastic and you don't have to put them in a hot oven for 45 min, a lot easier than confit.

Posts: 3076 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Thanksgiving Part II. Hot smoked a brined bone-in turkey breast at 325 on BGE. Oak lump charcoal with cherry chunks.

Also, I made Cranberry dressing as a side. The mashed potatoes were made by someone else and the gravy was just the bag that came with the turkey.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23645 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
I followed this recipe from Gordon Ramsay for the turkey this year. I deviated for the gravy though, after the bird was done I removed it from the tray and took the onions and lemon out of the bird and put it in the tray juices with the bacon. I cooked it in the tray in the oven for a bit to render it down. I then transferred it to a pot, added about 1/3 cup of flour and a couple bay leaves and some rosemary and simmered it until it was thick and it was the best gravy I've ever had.

I highly recommend trying it.

Posts: 6400 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
12-pound turkey, brined (my wife made the brine) for 12 hours, injected with butter and herbs solution, with BBQ rub. Basted with the same butter and herb injected every 45 minutes and finished off with a Bayou Bourbon Glaze in the last 15 minutes. Started smoking at 4 AM with temperatures ranging from 180 to 240. I was aiming to finish cooking at 12:30 and started with 225. Adjusted it down to 180 after the first hour because the Meater probe said I'll hit 165 internal temp in 3 hours. About every 30 minutes, I was monitoring expected time remaining and adjusting to hit 12:30. With only two hours left and at 220 degrees, it started telling me it was going to take another 4 hours to hit 165 so I had to keep adjusting until it was up to 240.

But, I was pleasantly surprised my first smoke turkey turned out to be delicious and moist.

My wife did everything else: dressing, beans, sweet yams, beans, cranberry sauce, and dinner rolls.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20014 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Favorite after Thanksgiving breakfast:

Sausage stuffing pancakes, Thanksgiving spiral ham, and eggs over easy.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12916 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Artie, that looks and sounds good

One of the traditions I started in the late 90s is using the leftover turkey to make enchiladas. It used to be enchiladas suizas, but my tastes have changed over the years so now it's enchiladas verde. Here is a plate of this year's enchiladas:

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Those look good!

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12916 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was at the grocery store this morning and the meat dept. has some turkey parts packaged up with a discounted price. I purchased three(3) trays of raw turkey thighs with the skin on. They will go into my smoker for next weekend, and the remainder will be vacuum sealed and frozen for later. I was thrilled to have found them.

Posts: 6709 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Mrs. V-Tail and I were invited to join ArtieS and Deb.

Turkey, almost ready on the BGE:

It's done!

Needs dressing:

Ham* and gravy:

Mashed potatoes:

Some CornBread:

*Re the ham: A Rabbi and a Priest were having a conversation. The Priest asked the Rabbi, "Tell me, have you ever eaten ham?"

The Rabbi answered, "Once, when I was an impetuous youth. I wanted to find out what all the fuss was about, so I tasted a ham sandwich." He then asked the Priest, "Have you ever had sex with a woman?"

The Priest answered truthfully, "In my younger days, before I felt the calling to The Church, I did."

The Rabbi said, "Beats eating ham, doesn't it?"

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31377 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Artie...that breakfast looks good. Never occurred to me to use stuffing as a pancake. Got to try that sometime. I know with mashed potato pancakes, a bit of flour and eggs are added. Does the stuffing need that too?

SSE...Your tip of garlic prep is good to know. I really didn't mind the confit method. The house was chilly and I have leftover flavored oil. That oil would be great for my pan fried potatoes.
Pevious years, I had done a head of garlic in foil wrap with oil drizzled so no burning. IIRC, about 350-400 for 15 mins.

These are some great tips in this thread for turkey cooking!

posted Hide Post
Deep fried a Turkey at my son's in New Mexico Thursday and another one today for my other son back home. Damn ain't no other way to do Turkey!!

Posts: 632 | Location: Cajun Country, Sportsman Paradise  | Registered: March 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Artie...that breakfast looks good. Never occurred to me to use stuffing as a pancake. Got to try that sometime. I know with mashed potato pancakes, a bit of flour and eggs are added. Does the stuffing need that too?

No. I make my stuffing kind of sticky, so it holds together pretty well. Needs a bit of hot oil in the pan to not stick, though.

Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
For those of you that cut your bird against the grain and not with it. You are true hero's and I applaude you. My in laws can't figure it out. Drives me nuts. But since they all came over to my place. We had:

1x Smoke Turkey - Spatchcocked & brined.
1x Baked Turkey - Brined & Stuffed
Mashed Potatoes
Sweet Pototatoes
Green Beans
Asparagus
Rolls
Mac & Chz
and I'm sure some other stuff... But I feel like I prepped, cooked, and cleaned for x3 days straight. There were about x12 of us total if I remember right.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8924 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
We don't really care for the traditional dishes so I opted for a slow cooked rib roast with tiger dill horseradish sauce and blue cheese wedge salad.
Home made from scratch apple pie for dessert.

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I had my traditional Thanksgiving meal. Hotdogs.

Posts: 21340 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post