SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What are you cooking for Thanksgiving?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are you cooking for Thanksgiving? Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
Unless I missed it, I didn't see a Thanksgiving meal thread, so here's our prep for tomorrow...
Brine for ol' Tom...

DO NOT OPEN UNTIL THANKSGIVING!

Cornbread stuffing prep...

Will be cooking the neck and gizzard today.

Will post pics of the smoked turkey and the table tomorrow.

What are you cooking for Thanksgiving?

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5517 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Got 2 birds in the brine right now. We used Alton Brown's recipe last year & it turned out great. Doing it again this year.
https://www.foodnetwork.com/re...urkey-recipe-1950271
Plan is to cook one tonight, and the other tomorrow, so we don't tie up the ovens all day.

Wife is making cheesy potatoes, garlic parmesan green beans, baked beans.

Have some family bringing other sides & pies.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15970 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
A buddy of mine is smoking a home grown brisket for me.
People keep asking me “what else?”
To which I answer : “um, sweet tea?”

Posts: 6345 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Usually, I cook a turkey. Once in a while I do a ham and a couple-three times in the last few years I've made a PrimeRib.

But this year a couple in the Sunday School class I teach asked us over for Thanksgiving dinner. She's a great cook and there will be some 12 folks there altogether.

I guess it's kind of my year off.

Bob

Posts: 1671 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am cooking a steak and mashed potatoes since it will be just me.

PC

Posts: 1369 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
This year I’m responsible for two things: a side and dessert.

Side dish will be Green Bean Casserole but not the nasty boring old version. Mine uses blanched French cut green beans, heavy cream, sour cream, mushroom soup, cheddar cheese, bacon, and then of course the fried onions.

Dessert will be a Sweet Potato Tart with a ginger snap crust. I’d normally do a sweet potato pie but the crust I use is a real PITA to cut and serve without destroying it in a pie dish so I will use a tart ring instead. That uses fresh whole roasted sweet potatoes puréed with cream, eggs, brown sugar, rum, vanilla and all the associated spices. I’ll serve that with a freshly whipped cream on top.

My mother-in-law makes a delicious stuffing made with apples and sausage, I could just eat a big bowl of that at Thanksgiving and be happy. My wife’s family doesn’t like sweet potatoes as a side dish but it’s a tradition with them to do rutabaga which aren’t bad.

Posts: 34518 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
We used Alton Brown's recipe last year & it turned out great.

I usually just do a salt sugar brine, but decided to try this this year. I twisted it a bit though by adding apple juice and putting the aromatics in the brine (since I just do a breast and they're unstuffable). I'll then smoke it on the Yoder and we'll see how it turns out.

Posts: 20563 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I'm in charge of the turkey on the Big Easy, dressing, red mashed taters, collards and yeast rolls

Kids are bringing mac & cheese, deviled eggs, pumpkin pie and pecan pie. Not sure what everyone else is bringing

Posts: 5531 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Looking in the fridge, I believe it’s turkey. Or a face hugger.

Posts: 11601 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Turducken...Chicken stuffed into duck stuffed into a turkey then cooked as one..... very tasty....... drill sgt.

Posts: 2079 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live alone and don't care for turkey white meat, sooo, I have four(4) racks of pork baby back ribs that will be going into the smoker with hickory wood in the morning. They will have my favorite rub applied prior. A mandatory HOT Bloody Mary will be close by to be sure the smoker does it's thing correctly.. Side will be scalloped spuds made with Mexican 4-cheese and a lot of bacon. Brussels Sprouts with Balsamic vinegar will be there also. Finish things off with lemon pie.....phew!!

Posts: 6709 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Thanksgiving #1 - Grandma's peanut butter pie and cranberry jalapeno relish

Thanksgiving #2 - turkey, dressing, gravy

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23645 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PCWyoming:

PC

Ditto, except I'll have fries with mayo and a salad.
Got a Tomahawk ready to go!

Posts: 387 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Joining a couple thousand friends I have yet to meet at Joe Huber's Family Farm Thanksgiving Buffet. Will just be me, my wife and my sister. Fellow Sig Forum member GF and his family will join us. Barn #2 @ 2pm - your own fault if you leave hungry. Smile

Posts: 4816 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
pork baby back ribs that will be going into the smoker with hickory wood [snip] A mandatory HOT Bloody Mary will be close by to [snip] scalloped spuds made with Mexican 4-cheese and a lot of bacon. Brussels Sprouts with Balsamic vinegar [snip] lemon pie....

I like your plan, sir!! Cool

God bless America.

Posts: 13855 | Location: Frog Level Yacht Club | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IndianaMike
posted Hide Post
sorry no pics.
My wife is making Chicken Dressing.
And Cherry Cheese delight.

Posts: 1622 | Location: NORTHEAST INDIANA | Registered: August 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IndianaMike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john crusher:
quote:
Originally posted by PCWyoming:

PC

Ditto, except I'll have fries with mayo and a salad.
Got a Tomahawk ready to go!

we save this tradition For Christmas

Posts: 1622 | Location: NORTHEAST INDIANA | Registered: August 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I'm working, but I will swing by family by marriage household and grab a plate on the way home. Depending on when they are eating maybe even a hot plate.

Working holidays is just too much money to give up for my 4-5th favorite holiday. I'm going to get $1,400 plus normal holiday pay for working Thursday and Friday. I'm even covering someone's 3p-11p on Friday just for the extra cash.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21105 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^ Skins2881 more power to you for working the holiday.. Hoping that you volunteered so someone else could spend time with their family...But one drawback is the extra taxes that you will pay because our uncle needs to give to other countries.... drill sgt.

Posts: 2079 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Fried turkey, ham with pineapple juice, green bean casserole, potluck potatoes, 2 kinds of stuffing, homemade rolls. Pumpkin and French silk pies.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10752 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post