SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Was a Witness to a Shooting Last Night
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Was a Witness to a Shooting Last Night Login/Join 
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted
Back story; wife wanted a Bloody Mary yesterday. She found a local dive bar that supposedly has the best Bloody Mary's in all of Winston Salem, and has a dog friendly patio. We head down.

While purchasing said Bloody Mary's through the bank teller style window on the patio, I can see a couple of guys arguing inside. Fight spills out onto the front sidewalk, and gets broken up by the white dude's wife. Black dude heads back inside, comes around the back, and I notice he has a goofy looking fanny pack. I don't know about you, but that's not something I usually see in 2021.

Fight starts again in the front, I tell wife and other girls to get back. Gun comes out, trigger gets pulled, white dude gets shot in face - head, right in front of me. Like 4 feet in front of me. Black dude jumps in car and peels out of lot. I apply pressure with bar towels until EMS and police arrive.

White guy is supremely lucky and the bullet just split his scalp. 1/2" other way and his brains would have been out. My ears rang all night, and I definitely heard the bullet wiz past my head.

Local News Article

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Dayum!!! That's a hair-raisin' episode for sure. Glad all y'all were out of the line of fire, even if just barely.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5483 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Sounds dramatic. I usually leave at the first sign of drama...for obvious reasons.

Posts: 1972 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
seems like people are really on edge these days

pays to be careful -- glad you were unharmed

---------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Damn. I’m glad you are ok and that they got the suspect.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21118 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good situational awareness.

Posts: 105 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 06, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Gesh! 4 feet away! Damned lucky thankfully.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16240 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
It was pretty surreal, I've never been involved in anything like this and hope to never be again.

The Bloody Mary sucked by the way. A ton of vodka and store bought pre-mix.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rebel Without a Clue
Picture of squad13
posted Hide Post
Holy Moly!!!

Posts: 958 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Whoa. That’s too close for comfort. Glad you and the missus weren’t hurt.

Posts: 17176 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Just out of curiosity, were you carrying at the time?

Posts: 20121 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad you physically survived. I hope you don't have any lasting issues.

As for the perp, will it be determined that he's a legal CCW permit holder? Are CCW allowed to frequent bars while carrying?

P229

Posts: 3836 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
just a question. Why were you 4' away from the fight?. Were you trying to break it up? That seems bit close for a couple of adult men throwing heymakers?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19205 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Super glad that you were OK and that the guy made it. I stay out of downtown Winston for that reason. Too much ghetto in close proximity.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7074 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:
It was pretty surreal, I've never been involved in anything like this and hope to never be again.
The Bloody Mary sucked by the way. A ton of vodka and store bought pre-mix.

I guess you won't be going back... Big Grin
Glad you're OK.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24144 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the prep walked a way from the fight (disengagement) and retrieved a weapon - and then returned to reinitiate - is that premeditated and attempted murder?

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't worry, he'll be out on the street with no cash bail, and charged down to misdemeanor battery with a small object.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And he was charged with discharge of a firearm in the city limits and a traffic offense, along with the shooting.
That is covering all aspects of the crime.
Very scary! glad you are all ok.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16103 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
8 pm is pretty early for that kind of thing to occur; our experience has been that some places have one kind of clientele before midnight, and a completely different (and unsavory) clientele after the witching hour.

Very glad you were not injured and able to render assistance.

Posts: 18081 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Sorry you had to witness that Rev.

I hope it doesn’t affect your family.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11294 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post