SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Snow coming for the South..
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Snow coming for the South.. Login/Join 
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
Groceries in the pantry, gas in the cars, shovel at the ready.

So long as we don't lose power, I'll be content to build a fire in the patio fire pit, stuff a couple of beverages into the snow next to it, and get to shoveling and snowman building. Cool

I like your thinking!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6316 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Snow started earlier than expected here, due to a faster than anticipated temperature drop. Have about an inch already from the initial smaller band, and a second larger band incoming in a few hours. Now calling for 3-5 inches total, up from 1-3.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
This is the second storm where the Northeast seems to be spared but it goes way more south than normal.

Here in PA forecast had been 3 to 6 inches all week but I’m hearing it may be looking more like 1 to 3 inches now.

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
WXSouth

Several items to go over include the front end heavy snow starting tonight around midnight for northeast Georgia counties, and quickly flipping to snow down to northside of Atlanta. Heavy snow fills into the Upstate of SC and lower NC piedmont, to the mountains by dawn. Meanwhile rain will be changing to snow in central and northern Mississippi, and then into middle Tennessee, with very heavy totals coming.
Winds will be a big problem in northern half of Georgia, spreading across the Carolinas through Sunday, as northeast winds increase to gusts of 30 mph. With snow changing to sleet, then freezing rain in central and western Piedmont, there will be power outages in the Carolinas and northeast Georgia.
The upper low will swing across eastern Tennessee, northern Alabama, and northern Georgia later Sunday, with a secondary band of snow developing after going through several precip types. Central Virginia starts as snow, but temps warm to above freezing late afternoon, up to DC, where snow flips to rain thanks to warm winds off the Atlantic --by then, the strong Arctic High has slid out to sea. Heavy snow totals in middle Tennessee and again throughout the Appalachian chain, and adjacent foothills just east of the mountains.
Much more breakdown at the blog for the subscribers. Please stay safe and use what time is left to prepare if you're in one of the areas that could lose power or where roads become impassable.

Posts: 5318 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Here in PA forecast had been 3 to 6 inches all week but I’m hearing it may be looking more like 1 to 3 inches now.

Western PA forecast is 6-12"

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After living in So. Dakota & Nebraska, I love the snow falls here in WV. Very little wind, no blizzard type snows. Great Plains folks know how wind adds to the misery.

I guess it evens out, as there are next to zero straight roads in WV, seems I’m always entering curves in WV. If God would have tamped down our hills, we’d be bigger than Texas.

Here’s hoping Mr Potato Head has another terribly humiliating week.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here’s hoping Mr Potato Head has another terribly humiliating week.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Gotcha. Politcal comments in a nonpolitical thread.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I have a full drum of diesel and the tractor/generator ready.

I have 2 sets of cable chains for my car.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm in south Louisiana . No chance of snow here . It's misty and 48 deg right now .Light freeze tonight .

Posts: 4055 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Gonna ice here.

I expect the power goes.

I’m supposed to go to training in the mountains on Tuesday, waiting to see what happens to that.

Otherwise, my goal is to not have to leave the house. But I’m on-call, sooooo we will see.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Snow started earlier than expected here, due to a faster than anticipated temperature drop. Have about an inch already from the initial smaller band, and a second larger band incoming in a few hours. Now calling for 3-5 inches total, up from 1-3.

Hopefully it clears up next month, I'm going to try and drive to mount magazine state park and stay for a few days. I guess we will see.

Posts: 4106 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I grew up with snow and ice. The storm will not be this bad. Remember these are Canadians supposedly used to this stuff. Below is a link to a short video::
https://www.youtube.com/watch?...b_channel=GlobalNews

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:... I'm going to try and drive to mount magazine state park and stay for a few days. I guess we will see.

Let me know when you head this way. I can throw a rock and almost hit Magazine Mountain from my back porch... Smile

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43877 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Was that you
or the dog?
Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
posted Hide Post
North of Pittsburgh here.
Pulled my snowblower out of the sub basement this afternoon. Has not run since 2019-2020. No frills 4 stroke B&S motor. Always use Seafoam. Added fresh gas and on the second pull she fired right up. My version of prepping Cool
BRING IT BABY!!!

Posts: 1633 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Too bad there are enough dumb shits on the road without the ice.

Damn poles come out of nowhere.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
The house is howling.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Hovering right at freezing here, light coat of ice on trees and the wind is howling

umm Eek

FROM WXSOUTH

What I'm working on next, after a small break. A spectacular Winter pattern across North America, particularly for the Southeast region is coming up. If you haven't had a brush with Winter yet, you have chances coming up. A tall ridge pops off the West Coast , and sends a cascade of Cold High Pressure systems south and east, with several waves that want to dig far to the South. The current storm goes on to Greenland and helps develop a ridge there. And with time book end big ridges block up the flow and eventually try to throw the Polar Vortex into the United States at some point. All the while, an active stream of moisture makers ride across the Southern parts of the country. It wouldn't surprise me to see the Gulf Coast get something in the pattern coming up for the latter part of January. The upper level charts the next 2 weeks have a rare look to them on all models and their ensembles.

Posts: 5318 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Was reading that there are two more systems behind this one, all pushing winter weather through this week.

Gonna be entertaining for sure.

Breezy with a dusting of snow followed by continuous sleet on the SW side of Charlotte. Thankfully it’s not landing as freezing rain on the trees. I’m fine with half an inch of ice on the ground.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
After selling the bucket that came with my tractor in November I ordered a new 6' one, but (like most everything it seems) it's backordered until March or April. If we get much accumulation it's going to take a while to clear this place with the 4' one.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7097 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I'm feeling a little ripped-off over on the side of the hill.

Predictions two days ago brought us 8-11" worth of snow, and the town across the hill was looking at 16". Snow was supposed to start at about 5am.

Well, Mother Nature is a cruel tease. Snow didn't start until about 8am, so far it barely covers the grass, and this morning NOAA weather offers a total of 3-6". Pfft. I can't build a mob of Calvin-style snowmen with this piddly mess! Razz

God bless America.

Posts: 13495 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post