SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    We are indeed buying a house in the Villages Florida
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

We are indeed buying a house in the Villages Florida Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Now I would be worried about buying at the top of the market. Plus it is feeling like some bad things could start to happen in succession in the not to distant future. Which would definitely not be a good thing if that was to happen.

Personally I like to zag when everyone else zigs.

Luckily my wife wants nothing to do with anything like the villages. Otherwise I would have to find a new one, which I do not want to do Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19231 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
Golf cart is a must.

Get it right, down there it’s a golf CAR Big Grin

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Frayedends, I wish you the best!

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8393 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
Frayedends, I wish you the best!

Thanks! I appreciate that.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12450 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been there many times. The bad stuff people say about it is not true. Many great people there just having a great time meeting new friends. There is something for everyone too. Example, if you like old cars there's a car club, or you can shoot with others interested in shooting sports. I'm not sure if it's for me, but it is a very fun place with a lot of conservative people who love this country. Lots of Veterans there as well.

Posts: 255 | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Only thing is then we will need to work down there, for much less money most likely. We can do it though, and with the crappy weather and politics here we are looking to get out.

Well, I hear the real estate market is BOOMING in FL right now, so there is money to be made there! You could get your real estate license and soon after you're down there, open up 'Frayedends Real Estate Partners' in the Sunshine State! Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8949 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
Very nice! Congrats!

Posts: 4454 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
aThe details are a little fuzzy. Sometime back the Villages strongly urged that residents use the Health Center which ONLY took Medicare Advantage plans. So most signed up. When a resident got cancer he had to drive 150 miles to get care because cancer care was not available. Of course this was costly bedause it was considered out of network. This sort of underhanded bs is one reason The Villages is on the no go list.

Posts: 17276 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
aThe details are a little fuzzy. Sometime back the Villages strongly urged that residents use the Health Center which ONLY took Medicare Advantage plans. So most signed up. When a resident got cancer he had to drive 150 miles to get care because cancer care was not available. Of course this was costly bedause it was considered out of network. This sort of underhanded bs is one reason The Villages is on the no go list.

Is there a valid a source for this, sounds like a rumor, like the pineapples for sex swapping seniors, and what does that have to do with anything available today.

Maybe 30 years ago when the Villages were starting up the amount of medical care would be less all over the state compared to today.

Consider it's 61 miles from the Villages to Shands Hospital, UF Cancer Center in Gainesville, one of the top hospitals and a Level 1 trauma center at UF, and 58 miles to Downtown Orlando where Arnold Palmer Hospital, ORMC, Orlando Health some of the top hospitals in Florida, which would have been available back then the 150 miles wouldn't apply even it was round trip.

The Florida Cancer Institute has 2 locations in the Villages today, so maybe a 1 mile trip, on a golf cart, if that.

Posts: 23575 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Nope not ancient history. Read this bs:
If you are Medicare Eligible, you have an important choice to make about Medicare and the primary care services you receive in this community. The Villages Health is a health care system specifically designed for your lifestyle, but when it comes to Medicare we only partner with a few Medicare Advantage plans.

What that means is that convenient care is not handy if you do not have an MA plan,and doctors willing to work for less.
Here is the link: https://thevillageshealth.com/...medicare-enrollment/

The original story was in the newletter published by residents and is a few years old. The Villages should not be in the healthcare business. We leave that to Joe Namath.

Found another reference from 2021,Here is the link: https://www.villages-news.com/...ns-are-no-advantage/

A retired physician comments. It is the place to go if you like to see foreign speaking doctors and those physicians willing to accept low rates of pay.

Posts: 17276 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
An interesting story, and one to be aware of, here. Management has almost total control and uses it to their advantage.
Anyone who runs their numbers to see if it can work for them needs to factor this into the equation.

https://theintercept.com/2023/...illages-oren-miller/

Extremely interesting read. Thanks for posting.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16725 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingfoot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks HRK, absolutely right. That's why we fell in love with it so fast. We just landed at home and the weather is again miserable. The truth is we will end up in Florida full time sooner than we thought. We just ran some quick numbers and could sell our home here, pay off the mortgage in Florida (and here). We'd need 120K or so to add a pool. But we may be able to save that in the next year or so.

Only thing is then we will need to work down there, for much less money most likely. We can do it though, and with the crappy weather and politics here we are looking to get out.

I hope ya’ll do get to go ahead and move permanently. The Villages is a beautiful place and it is kept super clean, just the type of place we want to live in. We have a realtor down there and he sends us a list of houses every week or so to look at. I’d really like to have a pool the more I think about but I’d like a resale with one. Pool installation costs have gone crazy high.

Posts: 1843 | Location: Peachtree City, GA | Registered: January 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
What that means is that convenient care is not handy if you do not have an MA plan,and doctors willing to work for less.

This makes no sense. There is no reason anyone has to sign up for the Villages Health. There are tons of options outside the Villages. It's not on an island. I guess I just don't get it. Being that I won't have medicare for more than 10 years, I guess I don't care anyhow.

quote:
Originally posted by wingfoot:

I hope ya’ll do get to go ahead and move permanently. The Villages is a beautiful place and it is kept super clean, just the type of place we want to live in. We have a realtor down there and he sends us a list of houses every week or so to look at. I’d really like to have a pool the more I think about but I’d like a resale with one. Pool installation costs have gone crazy high.

Thanks wingfoot. It is pretty awesome. Regarding pools, yeah it's about 120K to install a decent pool. That includes everything, the bird cage, the patio, etc. I'm sure tons of upgrades are available also. I know up here in MA pools don't add value so if you can get a resale it makes sense. In Florida they do increase the value of the house.

Lots of things go into pricing houses in the Villages. Resales are actually more expensive right now than new construction. Factors like how much of the bond is paid, things that have been upgraded, and home site, and location to the town squares.

One of the considerations for our purchase is that currently we aren't too close to the town squares. We are close to Sawgrass Grove, which has food and nightly entertainment, but not nearly what they have in town squares. However, in the next year they will build up Eastport. We will be close to there and it will increase our property value quite a bit.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12450 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

This makes no sense. There is no reason anyone has to sign up for the Villages Health. There are tons of options outside the Villages. It's not on an island. I guess I just don't get it. Being that I won't have medicare for more than 10 years, I guess I don't care anyhow.

It doesn't, the local health group is simply stating they have contracted with specific MA group (Medicare Advantage Plans) and if you want to use a MA plan, here are your options when using their facilities. The convenience complaint is invalid, there are plenty of alternative service providers in the area, you are not confined to one provider.

Kinda surprised that a retired physician is insinuating anyone not American is incapable of performing quality, humanitarian, medical services if is Patel or Ramaswamy, or something foreign wonder if it was said in an Indian accent? Look at any list of physicians, anywhere in the USA and not run across a foreign name is impossible and no indication of the quality of care.

Posts: 23575 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

Look at any list of physicians, anywhere in the USA and not run across a foreign name is impossible and no indication of the quality of care.
My primary care doc in Apopka has a last name that nobody can pronounce (everybody refers to him as "Doctor J.S."). His partner is a female doc with an Hispanic last name. Both of them are as common old American as it's possible to be, in speech, culture, etc.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30724 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingfoot
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by wingfoot:

Thanks wingfoot. It is pretty awesome. Regarding pools, yeah it's about 120K to install a decent pool. That includes everything, the bird cage, the patio, etc. I'm sure tons of upgrades are available also. I know up here in MA pools don't add value so if you can get a resale it makes sense. In Florida they do increase the value of the house.

Lots of things go into pricing houses in the Villages. Resales are actually more expensive right now than new construction. Factors like how much of the bond is paid, things that have been upgraded, and home site, and location to the town squares.

One of the considerations for our purchase is that currently we aren't too close to the town squares. We are close to Sawgrass Grove, which has food and nightly entertainment, but not nearly what they have in town squares. However, in the next year they will build up Eastport. We will be close to there and it will increase our property value quite a bit.

You are right about new construction being cheaper than the re-sales, I was surprised to learn that fact down there.

When we were there we enjoyed Brownwood Square more than Sawgrass Grove but I know a they will get things built up south of the Turnpike, I imagine we will be down near the Sawgrass Grove area. I’m glad to see the Southern Oaks bridge is open now, that is a nice addition.

Posts: 1843 | Location: Peachtree City, GA | Registered: January 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Look at any list of physicians, anywhere in the USA and not run across a foreign name is impossible and no indication of the quality of care.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Speaking flawless English and understanding the culture is important. I beg you to argue the point that it is irrelevant.

paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Speaking flawless English and understanding the culture is important. I beg you to argue the point that it is irrelevant.

If you want to argue doctor's native country/language, it can go in a different thread. It has nothing to do with the Villages.

These go to eleven.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If you want to argue doctor's native country/language, it can go in a different thread. It has nothing to do with the Villages.

posted Hide Post