SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    We are indeed buying a house in the Villages Florida
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

We are indeed buying a house in the Villages Florida Login/Join 
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
He and his wife have been invited to a few of the parties. Unless he’s just messing with me. *shrug*

Posts: 13747 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Not gonna lie. The first time we visited we met a nice couple at the Chophouse bar. They actually invited us back to their place for drinks. We declined but it had me wondering. Lol

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12450 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Beautiful Mind
Picture of DetonicsMk6
posted Hide Post
What a great place! Congratulations!

“The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, and intolerable...”
― H.L. Mencken

-All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Posts: 4814 | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingfoot
posted Hide Post
We are planning to move there permanently in the next couple of years. We are also looking at buying in the near future and maybe renting it out a few months each year until we move.

We came down and stayed at the Brownwood Hotel this past spring and did some scouting.

I am a golfer so it will be perfect for me.

Posts: 1843 | Location: Peachtree City, GA | Registered: January 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Did you get a chance to visit Shooters World while you were there?

Posts: 23575 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
^^^

Yes we did visit Shooters World the first time we were here. It was pretty cool. Nothing like it where I live now.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12450 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Congrats, not something I would ever consider doing but understand and it seems many like and enjoy the idea.

That lifestyle has no appeal to me. But if it did 2209er's post about restrictions, rules, busybodies and all the rest would make run, not walk away. That is not my idea of how to spend my golden years by any stretch.

I just read it too. You can count me out. Slim shady politics, taxes, and straight up bullshit.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12655 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Congrats, not something I would ever consider doing but understand and it seems many like and enjoy the idea.

That lifestyle has no appeal to me. But if it did 2209er's post about restrictions, rules, busybodies and all the rest would make run, not walk away. That is not my idea of how to spend my golden years by any stretch.

I just read it too. You can count me out. Slim shady politics, taxes, and straight up bullshit.

Did I miss a link to the post you guys are talking about? Anyhow th Villages has deed restrictions that I’ve read and I’m good with. There isn’t an “HOA” and no busy body neighbors can get elected and make shitty rules. What we’ve found here is a super active community of like minded people.

These go to eleven.

Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^ORC edited his post to comment about the following link/post by '220-9er', which was posted AFTER his original post...Kinda confusing!
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
An interesting story, and one to be aware of, here. Management has almost total control and uses it to their advantage.
Anyone who runs their numbers to see if it can work for them needs to factor this into the equation.

https://theintercept.com/2023/...illages-oren-miller/

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8950 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
^^^ORC edited his post to comment about the following link/post by '220-9er', which was posted AFTER his original post...Kinda confusing!
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
An interesting story, and one to be aware of, here. Management has almost total control and uses it to their advantage.
Anyone who runs their numbers to see if it can work for them needs to factor this into the equation.

https://theintercept.com/2023/...illages-oren-miller/

Ahh okay. I started that article and it’s long and convoluted. Definitely an “anti-Villages” vibe. The Morse family does control just about everything in the Villages. I’m okay with that because they keep it how I want it. Cost wise it seems about the same as most retirement areas and offers way way more.

The part about busy bodies and Del Boca Vista shows clearly the writer doesn’t really know how the Villages works.

These go to eleven.

I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I think you will definitely have to get a golf cart. Big Grin

Only been through there a few times. People seemed nice. Personally, I like the aspect of being able to get by without a car. We haven't been getting the rain this summer that we usually do. Frown

We need more good people in Florida as opposed to the ones fleeing from NY and NJ.

Posts: 13148 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
We will be absentee owners for a few years and may rent it now and then.

I do recognize the attraction of the Villages Florida as a retirement community.
But I don't really get the reason for being absentee owners before you are ready to retire or move there unless the place will cash flow itself, which it sounds like it will not.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24172 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Golf cart is a must.

Regarding absentee owner, the return on the investment should we sell in the future will be more than we will make in our retirement accounts. Apart from that it was all about getting the location we wanted and the house plan.

These go to eleven.

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
the return on the investment should we sell in the future will be more than we will make in our retirement accounts.

Possibly. But that's all based on assumptions and timing.
So, I guess what you're saying is that you got a really good deal and could sell for more than you paid? If so, I get it.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24172 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
the return on the investment should we sell in the future will be more than we will make in our retirement accounts.

Possibly. But that's all based on assumptions and timing.
So, I guess what you're saying is that you got a really good deal and could sell for more than you paid? If so, I get it.

The Villages homes have an average 14% year over year increase in value. They didn’t even lose value in the crash of 2008 IIRC. Because the majority buyers are cash, interest rates and mortgage trends don’t affect them as much as most.

These go to eleven.

Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
The Villages homes have an average 14% year over year increase in value. They didn’t even lose value in the crash of 2008 IIRC. Because the majority buyers are cash, interest rates and mortgage trends don’t affect them as much as most.

Over what period? You're saying that 'on average' homes in The Villages DOUBLE in value every six years! Are you assuming that trend is expected to continue? If so, I'd think that's a bit optimistic. We've all heard the saying, 'Past performance is not indicative of future results'...It definitely applies here as well.

The real estate market has seen unprecedented increases in value during the past few years, and that market WILL correct, if not crash spectacularly. It's coming...It's not a matter of if, but when that will happen IMO. Anyone that has purchased into the current market with new capital (not a traditional purchase after the sale of an existing home) will lose money/value when that happens. It'll likely be worse than 2008, and will affect commercial real estate followed by residential properties shortly thereafter. The only real question is whether the losses are worse in the financial markets or real estate market.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8950 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Yes I optimistic. The Villages is selling between 250-500 homes per month. We got a site on a preserve with more space between than most houses. We may likely decide to keep it when we make the permanent move. That all depends on the market and the new areas. They are doubling in size.

We also are considering ways to move there permanently a few years early. At most we have 5 years before retirement.

These go to eleven.

Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
1) Retirement village. Population is > 55. Must be a continuous turnover.
2) Real estate is headed for a correction. Just matter of time.
If you like the property — great. Real estate has always been location and supply.

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

The Villages has grown from a Mobile Home development of 400 homes in the 70's to one of the largest and highest thriving retirement communities in the USA with a GDP of $2.1 billion.

It 32 square miles
It's bigger than Manhattan,
Population of close to 80,000.
Named the top selling planned community 9 years in a row,
4,000 homes sold in 2021,
It's decidedly conservative.

Average down payment is 27%, the highest in the country,
Average credit score, 806 highest in the country,

There are a lot more facts at the link, the Villages have been a super successful planned retirement community who's growth has been phenomenal.

Link

Posts: 23575 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Thanks HRK, absolutely right. That's why we fell in love with it so fast. We just landed at home and the weather is again miserable. The truth is we will end up in Florida full time sooner than we thought. We just ran some quick numbers and could sell our home here, pay off the mortgage in Florida (and here). We'd need 120K or so to add a pool. But we may be able to save that in the next year or so.

Only thing is then we will need to work down there, for much less money most likely. We can do it though, and with the crappy weather and politics here we are looking to get out.

These go to eleven.