SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best Pancake Mix (Store Bought)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Pancake Mix (Store Bought) Login/Join 
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
We like Maple Grove Farms Buttermilk.

Posts: 5616 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C-Dubs:
Yep, I’m another Krusteaz fan.

Same here. I know pancakes are easy to make from scratch, but I don't usually have milk in the fridge, much less buttermilk. So I keep a box of the Krusteaz Buttermilk Pancake mix on hand--just add water.

Or I wheedle my husband into making waffles. He has a great recipe.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bushpilot
posted Hide Post
Krusteaz buttermilk here. Buy it in the big bag and do a pancake breakfast when camping out or just about every Sunday at home.

****************************************************W5SCM
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1143 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
Krusteaz is the best.

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Hungry jack. In the version I enjoy you have to add the egg, milk, and oil.

I’ve had krusteaz. Don’t like it as much but maybe I need to try the Belgian waffle mix.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5309 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
I've tried all of the brands suggested. Maxwayne nailed it as none of them come close to Maple Grove Farms of Vermont, specifically their Buttermilk & Honey pancake mix. It's the crack cocaine of the pancake world.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
That stuff you find in every store is not the best pancake mix any more than their "syrup" is close to real maple syrup. Those mixes are for the unwashed masses that are on par with Denny's or IHOP. That's not a compliment.

Instead, Bob's Red Mill Buckwheat is a hearty delight and if you want something sweeter, Trader Joe's always has a good variety but, I have to default to Bob's.

Posts: 4076 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Used to be a Krusteaz fan but, switched to Kodiak.

Posts: 14637 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
We like both Kodiak Cakes Original and Krusteaz Buttermilk either plain or blueberry. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16196 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob at the Beach
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heisrizn:
Krusteaz is the best.

Yup, add a bit of good vanilla extract to the wet mix and take it up a level.

Posts: 1473 | Location: Boardwalk, Va Beach | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C-Dubs:
Yep, I’m another Krusteaz fan.

Although I use the Belgian waffle mix for Belgian waffles, and the buttermilk pancake mix for pancakes. I figure they know more about pancakes than I do.

For some reason the pancake mix is harder to find around here than the waffle mix, not sure why. I have used both and cannot tell the difference. Which ever one you use, you will not be disappointed.

A touch of vanilla? Hmmm, never thought of that.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5035 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
While I’m sure the mixes are good we still make our own. That said nothing says you can’t make up a big batch of the dry ingredients ahead of time and then just use what you need morning of, very little in the way of prep in that instance. It’s what we do around here.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frog in boiling water
posted Hide Post
Krusteaz in our house as well.
Costco sells it in a 10 lb. resealable bag.
Also makes great waffles.

Posts: 429 | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
Instead, Bob's Red Mill Buckwheat is a hearty delight
+1

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23221 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I can't understand buying a mix for something that has an average of four ingredients, all o fwhich should exist in every pantry.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
I can't understand buying a mix for something that has an average of four ingredients, all o fwhich should exist in every pantry.

Neither can my French wife. She refuses to use a mix. Especially when making crêpes.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
wife is celiac,

so GF Bisquik, or one of the Paleo GF mixes,

(easy recipe, 1 cup bisquik, 1 cup buttermilk, 2 eggs, 2 tablespoons oil (bacon grease) and a hot greased griddle or pan)

add fresh fruit,
bisquik is best with real buttermilk, the paleo mixes are a bit odd tasting with buttermilk

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the great suggestions everyone. Here's what I went with. The maple syrup is from here in Minnesota and a little spendy so I'm guessing it's going to be a upgrade from the Log Cabin and Aunt Jemima?

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Krusteaz Buttermilk. Just add water, and works great for waffles too.

S'more waffles, a family favorite:

- Make waffle
- leave in iron when done
- on one side, layer with Ghirardelli milk chocolate morsals, crushed graham crackers and mini-marshmallows
- fold other half over, and use iron to press down for a moment or two to melt it all together
- put on plate
- sprinkle with confection sugar
- enjoy!

Posts: 3475 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post