SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best Pancake Mix (Store Bought)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Pancake Mix (Store Bought) Login/Join 
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted
No complicated recipes please, I don't like to be that busy in the early mornings. There must be some good pancake batter mixes you can buy off the shelf. I like pancakes but always been more of a french toast guy. Anyway as a bonus to buying our lake property I discovered a nice wild blueberry patch behind the house. I picked quite a few yesterday and there is lots more coming. So now I need to make blueberry pancakes naturally.
So what are you all using for a batter mix?

Any other ideas for using blueberries as well would be appreciated. Wild blueberries are considerably smaller than the farm raised ones you buy in the store so making a pie would require a million of these guys I imagine. But they actually taste like blueberries!

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8529 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
We are partial to the Hungry Jack buttermilk mix.

And don't dismiss the pie, Maine wild blueberry pie is some of the best pie you'll ever have! The little blueberries are even better for pie as they hold their firmness better than the big ones.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I like Kodiak Cakes.

They make a bunch, including high-protein versions, but this is the classic and really good:

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
I just use Aunt Jemima Complete..........and ALWAYS cook them in bacon grease.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
We use Bisquick but for fresh blueberries we like the blueberry sour cream pancake recipe from Taste of Home.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/re...sour-cream-pancakes/

Posts: 4986 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Hungry Jack. They cook much fluffier and taste better.

Posts: 6883 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Good suggestions already rolling in! I have lots of bacon grease on hand!

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8529 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
We buy and use Snoqualmie Falls brand. It's kind of local but you might be able to find it because they are expanding their market. It really is a quality product and we mix in Huckleberries a couple of times a month for a treat.

https://www.amazon.com/Snoqual...a%2Caps%2C238&sr=8-2

As a side note, I designed their cartons because that is what I did for 20+ years as a cad designer for a folding carton manufacturer. Smile

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We cooked ours down into like a blueberry ‘butter’ (think like apple butter). Then we make small blueberry turnovers using pie crust. 2-3 of those at the bottom of a bowl, warm, with a good vanilla ice cream is sooooo good.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Golden Malted pancake & waffle mix from William-Sonoma is my favorite.

KenS

Posts: 1049 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Marue
posted Hide Post
I have always enjoyed Krusteaz Buttermilk at the deer lease.

Posts: 386 | Location: Texas | Registered: August 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
Any other ideas for using blueberries as well would be appreciated. Wild blueberries are considerably smaller than the farm raised ones you buy in the store so making a pie would require a million of these guys I imagine. But they actually taste like blueberries!

Blueberry Cream Muffins

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 ½ cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup (8 oz) sour cream
½ cup vegetable oil
½ tsp vanilla extract

In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add berries and toss gently. Combine eggs, sour cream, oil and vanilla; mix well. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
Fill paper-lined muffin cups ¾ full. Bake at 400 for 35 min. or until a toothpick comes out clean. Sprinkle with a little sugar as soon as they come out of the oven.
Makes 9 muffins using the large (6 inch) baking cups.

Notes: If using frozen berries, do not thaw them first.
If using the small (cupcake size) baking cups, cook for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

I've heard that blueberry wine is good Big Grin

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
After seeing pics of your BBq, I don't understand why you won't suffer through the most basic of ingredients which amount to pancakes for 10 min.
As an alternate, you can make them ahead of time and freeze them. Then just nuke'em.
My nephews never minded.
I've done these w/ soft banana pieces and blueberries.
Pancakes
So yeah, I'm that guy. Razz
There is something to be said for wild blueberries.

Posts: 7354 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Krusteaz light and fluffy Belgium Waffle Mix. You add egg and oil. Walmart sells it. This is absolutely the best pancake mix you can buy...I guarantee it. Smile

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5038 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
Yep, I’m another Krusteaz fan.

Although I use the Belgian waffle mix for Belgian waffles, and the buttermilk pancake mix for pancakes. I figure they know more about pancakes than I do.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
By far the best homemade pancakes I've ever made:

https://www.bettycrocker.com/r...b1-bc7b-b477b3cb84b5

Get some nice thick, real buttermilk and have at it. You won't be disappointed.

My wife prefers my pancakes over all diner and breakfast restaurant pancakes.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
I like Kodiak Cakes.

They make a bunch, including high-protein versions...

This is what we use. The whole family likes them.

Side tip: They also make a variety of syrups that are darn good. Mixed berry, apricot, etc. We have a small stockpile. We forego the maple now.

Posts: 17119 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C-Dubs:
Yep, I’m another Krusteaz fan.

Although I use the Belgian waffle mix for Belgian waffles, and the buttermilk pancake mix for pancakes. I figure they know more about pancakes than I do.

This

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
I like Kodiak Cakes.

They make a bunch, including high-protein versions, but this is the classic and really good:

Located right here in Park City! In fact, they're building a brand new building just down the road from me.

Good stuff, but my wife and I always make our own mix.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30406 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aunt Jemima Original

You add the milk, eggs and vegetable oil. Hard to beat and I've tried most store bought.

Insert several pats of butter in the stack and its for real! Neeses sausage a glass of milk and a small glass of OJ to chase the sausage.

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post