SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Visiting Alaska in June, need suggestions for excursions please.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Visiting Alaska in June, need suggestions for excursions please. Login/Join 
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
Don’t forget some of the prettiest bits ie Sitka, AK. Wink

North slope … not so much.

Second the helicopter notion… My wife said it was the best trip she’s ever taken in her life was helicoptering down from Alaska; spent time on a mountaintop or two. (And she’s traveled a bit. Wink)
My small ship tour in 2014 stopped at Sitka. Here are my photos of that stop:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/...s/72157648503535657/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/...s/72157648957337131/

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Great pics flashguy. Thanks.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7508 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Just too catch you guys up, today we booked a few excursions, and thanks for all the help. Train ride, done, chopper ride up to glacier, done, and we are renting a Hummer for a a few hrs. and doing some touring. Also a quick 1.5 hr's trip early am to watch some lumberjacks do their thing. Still have a few days w/o events so we can do some local stuff as well. Next we decide dining options and schedule, then deciding what camera gear is going...

Posts: 7508 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
What kind of camera equipment are you using?

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
When you are in Vancouver, BC if you ride the hop-on-hop-off bus, one of the stops is near the St. Andrew's-Wesley United Church. If you like churches, this one is a very nice visit, and my photos of it are here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/...s/72157603517734473/.

And, of course, a visit to Victoria is incomplete with going through the Butchart Gardens. https://www.flickr.com/photos/...s/72157603512311778/.

flashguy

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
As far as camera gear, anything and everything you have. You're going to kick yourself after spending the money and time to get there if you miss a shot because you left a piece of gear at home.

A good, "walk around lens" is a must. On the 2 cruises I went on an 18-140mm was the lens I took when walking around port. For the helicopter ride you'll probably be limited by weight and space so it may be a one lens proposition. I also had a 55-300mm lens as well. I had a sling bag to carry my DSLR with one lens mounted and the other unmounted.

The wildlife that you see from the cruise ship will probably not be close and you'll need a telephoto to pull it in in, 300mm is probably the minimum. Don't laugh you can also use a big telephoto for landscape photography up here; getting a look at distant peaks or one of my favorite subjects zooming in n some of the unique formations in the glacial ice. You're also going to want a wide angle for landscapes and glaciers. If I was doing it today probably a single camera body, 18-300mm, 200-500mm and 10-20mm lenses. I'd probably throw in my 16-80mm just because it is a constant f2.8 and works well in low light/indoor photography without a flash.

Don't bother with a tripod or monopod. Shooting from ship there's going to be movement. Also a pain in the ass to deal with them and the crowds on deck. Did I mention it rains a lot in southeast Alaska. Have a few lens cleaning cloths with you to clean the front of the lens. UV filters on the front of the lens are also a good idea, cheap protection. Waterproof camera bag is also a good idea. Extra batteries, a charger to use in your cabin. Also consider bringing your laptop to download to.

Have fun, enjoy the trip, and enjoy the photography to capture the moment.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Regarding camera gear, don't wear yourself down with a lot when walking around. You'll probably want the ability to reach out with a long lens at other times.

On my 3 trips to Alaska I had one camera and the Nikon 18-200 zoom lens. I was not prepared to get photos of distant animals, so when I went to Africa I took 2 camera bodies and added a 200-500 zoom on one of them. That combination worked very well for me there, because I could put the long lens on the seat next to me. I also considered having a second camera body a good idea for a trip of a lifetime. Folks today would probably consider their phone to be their backup camera, but you can't put a long lens on one of those. I suppose a really wide-angle lens might be useful, but when I need a wide shot I just make a panorama set and stitch them together later. (Since I also take a laptop, I can do the stitching each day.) Modern cameras do a pretty good job in low light, and one can develop methods of stabilizing a camera without a tripod.

Keep your gear to a minimum and have a good time.

flashguy

Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Both you guys make great points. I’m using a Nikon D700 and just added a 200-500 5.6 Nikon VR Zoom to the collection as I figured I’d need it up there. I’ve got my 70-200 Nikon 2.8 VR, a standard 50mm, prob 1.8, maybe 1.4, a 24 or 28mm wide angle as well as a 105 Nikon micro. I plan on leaving the tripod home but am entertaining a monopod gimbal set up. All but the monopod will fit in my back pack. I’ll have to figure the monopod if I take it. I’ve got my first dslr as a spare, my D80. Just bought a Lens Coat as well.

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I'm not in NY, had to look up "FUAC".

flashguy

Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
We did this trip a few years back but round trip from Seattle on Norwegian. Instead of the excursions ... we rented a car ( way in advance ) in both Juneau and Skagway. Juneau we drove to the glacier well ahead of all the tour buses and had the place to ourselves, we headed back the other way when the buses started arriving. This was much cheaper than paying for the bus excursion.

Skagway, we drove north on the 2 for a few hours, along the same route as the bus/train per se. Again, much cheaper and stayed way ahead of the buses and crowds. We got to one place that had gold panning and sled dogs (puppies). Because there was no one else arriving for sometime, the owner let us go into the pen and play with the puppies, something that they do not do with the bus tours. Have some great pics and will try to post when I find a photo hosting to do so ...

Smile

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old dino:
Have some great pics and will try to post when I find a photo hosting to do so ...

Smile
Flickr has a free option. It's limited to 1000 photos and some size restrictions on photo size, but it would work. I personally have a Pro subscription with them and love the abilities of the venue.

flashguy

Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
I'm not in NY, had to look up "FUAC".

flashguy

No AC in TX flashguy, that's for sure!!! Sounds like a great time old dino. Can't wait to go.

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
My 2007 tour of Alaska was a land tour followed by the large ship cruise from Seward to Vancouver, BC. My 2014 tour was a land package followed by a cruise on this small ship:
https://www.liveaboard.com/cru...SEAAYASAAEgJDYfD_BwE. I really enjoyed it. My 2021 tour was essentially land only.

flashguy

posted Hide Post
For anyone interested in a 28-day Alaska cruise:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/...and-america-28-days/

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ubique
Picture of TSE
posted Hide Post
We did the exact same tour in 2019. It was our first cruise so I don't have anything to compare it to, but the Holland line is great. The meals were excellent and the trip offers some great side tours.
In Juneau we took a DHC-3 float plane to a fishing camp. There was great scenery along the way, we had BBQ salmon at the camp and they have a regular bear that visits to clean the grill.
Skagway was interesting too, and we took the train trip to Yukon. Again a pretty interesting trip. While sailing we also saw a variety of whales and dolphins.

Calgary Shooting Centre

Posts: 1494 | Location: Alberta | Registered: July 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post