SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Visiting Alaska in June, need suggestions for excursions please.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Visiting Alaska in June, need suggestions for excursions please. Login/Join 
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted
Good afternoon all. Just seeking out some travel advice from the folks in the know regarding Alaska. Wife and I, sister, and BIL are cruising from Vancouver to Alaska (Inner Passage) and visiting the ports below. Ship and airfare already booked. After the cruise we are flying directly home from Anchorage. I'm just looking for suggestions of things to do and see in the areas below as we would like to book our excursions soon. Also, we are not seasoned cruisers but I've always heard it's better to book the daily excursions independent of the cruise line, thoughts please? All in good health and under 60 so mobility remains ok.

Vancouver

Ketchikan

Juneau

Skagway

Glacier Bay
(Scenic Cruising)

College Fjord
(Scenic Cruising)

Whittier-disembark.

Thanks all, pics upon return...

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7508 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I never cruised AK but did a trip there a few years ago.

These are some of the things we did and really enjoyed. I don't know what your options are with the cruise.

Kayaking in Seward. We got to kayak around small icebergs and got to see one flip. Amazing experience.

Walking/hiking on a glacier. We did this with guides also and they provided all the gear.

Watching a glacier calving off. We did this as a boat tour out of Seward.

Wildlife sightseeing. We didn't do any tours as we were able to see stuff on our own. One thing I wanted to do we didn't because of the cost was getting out to Katmai to see the brown bears feeding in the river.

No specific excursions as I've never done a cruise but I would look for ones that interest you. The ones above are some of the things I really enjoyed.

I consider AK to be one of the most amazing places I've been. No matter what you do you will have a great time if you enjoy wildlife and mother nature.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16400 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
They say it is best to book the excursion with the cruise line ahead of time. The main reason being the ship is guaranteed to wait for you if the excursion gets delayed for any reason.

We're doing Alaska for the first time in May. The one excursion that everybody recommends is the White Pass Yukon Route railway in Skagway.

There's a YouTube channel Tips for Travellers which has a lot of practical information for cruising. https://www.youtube.com/@tipsfortravellers

Posts: 9447 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apf383:

...Whittier-disembark...

Whittier is a unique tiny (unless a cruise ship docks) village where everyone lives in a 14-sory building built in 1955 by the Army as the Hodge Bldg, now called Begich Towers:

https://sometimes-interesting....laskan-town-in-tower

We spent a night there a few years ago.
https://www.juneswhittiercondosuites.com/

A smaller Army barracks building is now abandoned:

https://www.abandonedspaces.co...whittier-alaska.html

There's a nice little museum:

https://www.pwsmuseum.org/

Whether you take the train or a bus to Anchorage, you'll use the tunnel where vehicles and trains share the same road. At different times, of course.

https://www.whittieralaska.gov/tunnel/

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Did 2 cruises prior to moving up here. First trip we booked met of our excursions on our own rather than through the cruise ship company. We found that we could usually get the same trip with the same operator at a substantial discount. Second trip it was a bit more difficult, it seemed that the cruise ship companies were making their concessionaires be exclusive to them.

If you're planning on doing any fishing charters, book them on your own. We booked our own out of Juneau and it was absolutely fantastic. We caught fish, sailed all over, saw a lot and learned a lot. I booked through the cruise company on our second trip in Ketchikan and it absolutely sucked. Sailed around in a small circle over and over again in the bay with what seemed like every other boat in the charter fleet. Treated like tourists rather than guests, seemed like they felt like they didn't have to offer service as they had a guaranteed customer base.

Ketchikan, I'll be going down there next month and might have more to report. A lot depends on the amount of time you have there. You can do the tourist thing and not book anything there. Walk around town on your own, Creek Street, Totem Museum, Raptor Center are all within walking distance and can be done. Tsongas Trading Company is right next to the cruise ship dock and worth a walk through. They're got all the typical Alaska tourist stuff, but go upstairs and they're a hardcore outfitter; guns, fishing, gold panning and serious outdoor clothing. I just remember all of the cruise ship staff making a beeline for them as soon as they could get off the ship. Don't know if it's still there or not, there was a little cafe right across from the cruise dock. Prided themselves of the world's best eggs benedict, I had the reindeer sausage and sourdough pancakes which were delicious.

Ketchikan has good fishing but I would book my own charter rather than go through the cruise ship company. The charter boat operators will be aware of your schedule requirements in getting to and from the ship.

Juneau, fishing s good and you'll probably see whales. Don't book a whale watching tour, book a fishing charter; you'll see whales and you'll also catch fish and be with a much smaller group of people. Reg Dog Saloon is a big tourist draw downtown. They have what was supposedly Wyatt Earp's gun hanging up behind the saloon, story was he checked his gun but his ship left before the bar opened. Mt Roberts tram is worth a trip up, if it's clear the views are great.

Mendenhall Glacier is also a big draw in Juneau. There's a lot of ways to see it, most pedestrian is riding the bus up to the visitor's center. There's also helicopter tours that will land on it, dog sled trips on it, etc. We did a canoe trip across Mendenhall Lake to the face of the glacier which was very cool.

Skagway is a lot of fun. White Pass is a huge draw, just be careful when you book. You'll find all kinds of offerings from the cruise ship company that vary in price. We didn't realize when we booked it, our excursion was a bus driving the road on the way up and the train on the way back. The bus sucked, the train was fantastic. I think I spent the entire time on the train standing out on the platform between the cars. The first trip up we book a Jeep excursion that went up to Cacross in Canada and that was a lot of fun as well.

Glacier Bay and College Fjord are both awesome. Get out early, find a place on deck where you can get some good photography without railings, glass barriers, etc. in the way, claim it and protect it. It can be combat conditions on deck at times with everyone trying to get a view of the glaciers.

Not much to Whittier, it's just a bizarre little town where everyone lives in one building. It quite possibly is the ugliest town in the one of the world's most beautiful settings. You will get to go through the one lane tunnel to get to the other side and that's kind of cool.

I know you said everything is booked, but you might want to see if it's possible to push back your flight out of Anchorage by a few days. On our second trip we did the extension up to Denali and kicked ourselves for not doing it on our first trip. There's also floatplane daytrips from Anchorage out to Katmai and Lake Clark National Parks for bear viewing. Another suggestion is taking the Alaska Railroad down to Seward and doing a Kenai Fjords cruise. Yes you just got off a cruise ship, but Kenai Fjords is unique and you'll probably see more wildlife.

As far as what to pack; one word waterproof. Southeast Alaska is a rainforest and it can rain a lot. You'll want a decent set of waterproof boots and a waterproof jacket as well. Standing out on the deck of the ship, it can get cold in summer, especially when glacier cruising with the wind coming off the glaciers. I wore a goretex jacket with a zip in/out fleece liner, light gloves that I could still operate my camera with and a warm beanie hat that I didn't have to worry about the wind catching and blowing off. Pack extra batteries for your camera and have a charger in your cabin. Don't know what you have for camera gear but you'll want a wide angle and big telephoto.

Our first trip up was great. There was a retired college professor who was the ship's naturalist. He gave a lecture early on the ship which was great. He also like to hang out in the outdoor bar at the back of the ship. When we were at sea, I'd hand out with him at the bar, consume beverages, learn a lot and get some great photography in.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have questions and I'll try and help if I can.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Tracy arm fjord is a beautiful boat ride. Well worth your time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tracy_Arm

Posts: 3596 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
My wife and I did the Inside Passage cruise 15-20 years ago and hit many of the stops on the itinerary you posted. It's a good list, and I think you'll enjoy most, if not all, of those places.

Posts: 4499 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Awesome contributions guys. Thanks so much for taking the time to throw lots of info my way. Much appreciated, please keep it coming! Thanks again.

Posts: 7508 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and every one of them words rang true and glowed like burnin’ coal.
Picture of TannerBoyl
posted Hide Post
I did a similar cruise in 2019 (Vancouver to Seaward) on Holland America. It was such an amazing experience!

We didn’t have a good experience in Vancouver. We booked a hotel through the cruise line, but it turns out that the hotel didn’t have our reservation and they were at capacity. Instead, the cruise line gave us rooms at a hotel in the actual airport. Instead of exploring downtown Vancouver, we hung out at the airport restaurant and bar. The room was great, but it wasn’t what we expected.

We did three excursions. I am having a hard time remembering where they happened, but I’ll do my best. In Skagway, we did a brothel tour. It was fun, but it’s not a must do. We did the bicycle and brewery tour in Juneau. That was fun, but it did require us pedaling up some inclines. Most of that tour was downhill. The tour ended at the Mendenhall Glacier. We also did a snorkeling adventure, but I’m not sure what city it was in. It was fun, but the visibility was horrible. I maybe could see 8ft in front of me. The wetsuits were super thick and I had to let the cold water in to keep me from overheating. I wouldn’t do it again, but I’m glad that I did it once.

My favorite part of the trip was Glacier Bay. We had a balcony and spent almost the entire day on the balcony. I would go back just for that experience again.

We went in late August/early September and lucked out with the weather. It rained a few times, but nothing that dampened our spirits. On quite a few days, I wore shorts and a T shirt.

In Seaward, we disembarked and took a bus to Anchorage. It wasn’t a tour, but we did see some good wildlife.

What cruise line will you be on?

Posts: 4594 | Location: Redondo Beach, California | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I've been to Alaska 3 times, but the 2007 tour was the only one that did the Inside Passaage on a big cruise ship. My photos of that tour are here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/...s/72157601967848026/. (Ship travel begins on Day 13). My favorite port call from the ship was at Haines, but the big ships don't stop there any more. However, we did stop at Juneau and Ketchikan and ended in Vancouver.

The 2014 tour involved a smaller ship and we boarded it at Skagway. The photos of that tour are here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/...s/72157648510965310/ (Ship travel begins on Day 10).

In Juneau, do take the Mount Roberts Tramway. I've done it twice and the same disabled bald eagle was on display both times (2007 and 2014). At Juneau also make a trip to the Mendenhall Glacier.

In Ketchikan, a walk on Creek Street is a must.

Vancouver has a lot to see, and a trip to Victoria is a must. The Butchart Gardens are fantastic!

The 2021 tour was land-only, so didn't visit many places you would be seeing. If you're curious, my photos of that tour are here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/...s/72157719930052037/

All 3 of my tours (2007, 2014, and 2021) involved a day or two in Anchorage. Lots of things to do around there.

All my port call excursions were arranged through the ships, and I found them to be interesting. Enjoy your visit to our 49th state.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
As far as what to pack; one word waterproof. Southeast Alaska is a rainforest and it can rain a lot.
^^^^ Above all else, THIS!!! Be prepared.

Rain can be a blessing and a curse. Of course, it can be miserable, cold and distracting. On the flip side, rain fills the streams, which allow the salmon to run and the bears to come down to feed, so the tourists can see the bears. Also, in the fjords, rain fills the falling streams coming down the cliffs and mountain sides.

We took the city bus to get to Mendenhall Glacier while in Juneau last August. It dropped us off at the intersection of Glacier Spur Road and Mendenhall Loop Road; we walked the remaining 1.5 miles to the visitor center. $4/ea round trip. In the rain.

We did the Kawanti Black Bear & Wildlife Exploration tour in Ketchikan (kiosk off the ship). Saw many black bears feeding. In the rain.

Our cruise took us to Sitka; we took in the Southeast Alaska Indian Cultural Center and walked throughout the Sitka National Historical Park with lots and lots of bald eagles - everywhere. In the rain.

If you are not ready for the weather, it will be a miserable trip and unenjoyable. Come back in the afternoon, set out clothes to dry, then prep your gear before you go to bed for the next day's activities.
quote:
In Juneau, do take the Mount Roberts Tramway.
Weather dependent, of course. Don't spend $50 to go up to the top just to see the insides of the clouds.

Have fun!

Posts: 9041 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
In Skagway, the White Pass train, both up and back were the most memorable for us. We were on the last Princess cruise for the season in September 2014.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
White Pass Railway was already mentioned.

Wonderful narrow Gauge Rail trip.

Be sure to get the longer trip that requires that you take a passport with you, since you go into Canada.

Very memorable. Try to sit on the left side of the train.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I don’t remember where it was, but my boys and I took a helicopter up to a glacier where they have a training camp for sled dogs. There is snow up there even in the summer, and they train dogs. Got a little aerial tour if some glaciers in the way.

The boys were able to do a little sledding, although very controlled. Helicopter ride was fun- photo ops were amazing.

Posts: 3436 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
What’s your budget? Float plane tour or STOL mountain flight would be my recommendation if you have the budget.

Posts: 2399 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
I don’t remember where it was, but my boys and I took a helicopter up to a glacier where they have a training camp for sled dogs...

That's in Seward, we took an R-44 up to the glacier for the sled ride.

https://sewardhelicopters.com/seward-dog-sled-tours/

We also visited a "sea level" kennel/training camp in Seward:

https://ididaride.com/tours/

Another good stop in Seward: https://alaskasealife.org/

We were not on a cruise; we had a rental car out of Anchorage and drove all over.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Don’t forget some of the prettiest bits ie Sitka, AK. Wink

North slope … not so much.

Second the helicopter notion… My wife said it was the best trip she’s ever taken in her life was helicoptering down from Alaska; spent time on a mountaintop or two. (And she’s traveled a bit. Wink)

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
No insight or info on any points of interest that has already mentioned...... Lived in the interior (Delta Junction / Fairbanks winter 1973 thru fall
of 1979)..... From my memory it was best if possible to do as much on you own vs being guided and on tight time schelude between activities... Alaska Railroad...Fairbanks to Anchorage.. scenery /wildlife / dinning room car( pretty good food)....Mt.McKinley(tallest in north america 20,320ft) can be hard to see due to area weather hindering viewing....... If you can get away from the guided tours and out on your own try and avoid the tourist traps... Best to take your time and enjoy what the great state of Alaska has to offer. ..... drill

Posts: 2007 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Chopper and train rides looking like must sees. Hopefully they coincide with the weather. Like to day a few days walking around getting the local flavors as well, food and beer, and avoid the tourist traps.

Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Look at it this way, a helicopter ride will be refunded if cancelled for weather. The train will be going up White Pass no matter what the weather. Do something in Skagway that includes White Pass. First it goes through Tormented Valley which is one of my favorite places in Alaska. If you ever wondered what a Dr. Seuss landscape would look like in real life, it's Tormented Valley. Second it's getting an appreciation of the history the Golden Staircase and what the miners had to endure to get to the Klondike goldfields.

Someone else had mentioned a floatplane tour. Floatplanes are a lot of fun and a great way to see things you would not normally see. I would not recommend taking one out of Ketchikan. They have had quite a few accidents on their flight seeing trips. The FAA is now being asked to come up with special regulations for the area. It's going to take them a while to get it figured out and no idea what the regulations may effect.

https://www.krbd.org/2022/11/3...r-series-of-crashes/

Another idea for Ketchikan would be one of the Mysty Fjords cruises. Yes, it seems ridiculous booking another cruise while off a cruise. But they are much smaller ships, you'll be able to get closer to the shore. and have a whole other experience than that of the cruise ship. Misty Fjords is also a really unique place.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post