SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Please tell me all the reasons I should 'not' buy this (Motorcycle related)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Please tell me all the reasons I should 'not' buy this (Motorcycle related) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Good for you deciding to get back into riding.

I have never owned or ridden the Indian FTR, so nothing other than it does remind me more of the Ducati Diavel than a retro bike.

I have owned several Kawasakis, including a previous version of their inline 900. I have never had a bad motor from Kawasaki. I also think the 900 class is a great class to return to from a hiatus. Plenty of power to be safe on freeways while having fun in the curves.

I did look at this bike when it was first released, and one of the things I liked about it is the factory exhaust. Kawasaki worked to get the exhaust note to have a nice rumble at low engine speeds, and then a "silencer effect" at higher engine speeds to meet noise restrictions. It kind of works like a self adjusting gas system using different size ports. Pretty neat design that they came up with,

One of the other things I really liked about it is the comfort and handling. Kawasaki did a lot of work to make sure that it has a neutral steering feel. They state that the steering feel was designed to make riders of all skill levels, including new riders, feel like no effort was needed to turn. The result is a very easy bike to ride.

Good luck with your decision and I hope you show us the pictures of what you end up choosing. Ride safe.

Posts: 249 | Location: Utah | Registered: June 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Indians FTR doesn’t really look that more retro than the new Triumph Trident. They both have circle headlights and sort of retro looking gastanks but the Kawasaki is much more successful at pulling off the retro look.

I think an exhaust change would drastically improve the FTR’s looks.

Akrapovic has an OE offering on the FTR, IIRC, in both high & low mount configs

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 16015 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I had a GS 400 1978, the Kawai is similar, although I don't care for the smaller front wheel, saw one at Daytona last year.

The retro look is nice, the Indian is sharp looking as well. I bet that Akrapovic exhaust is super expensive.

JMO the Kawi is the more reto of the two, considering Indians bike is a new offering.

I like the SCout Bobber Twenty, it's a great looking and performing bike (yes not your cupatee) I'd like the Challenger, if it came with a detachable tour pack...

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On a Wing
and a Prayer
Picture of Pilken
posted Hide Post
I'm on a 2016 Indian Scout and I LOVE it. Either of the bikes you've pictured would be fun for scooting around. You might want a good backpack if you plan on commuting on it.

-------------------------
“I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!”
- Dr. Seuss

Posts: 2624 | Location: FINALLY just outside of Chicagoland | Registered: April 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
I like the SCout Bobber Twenty, it's a great looking and performing bike (yes not your cupatee)
I actually looked at and sat on one. You're right, not really my cup of tea. However, read some of the online reviews about that seat pan. Not a lot of positive reviews of riding on it.
quote:
Originally posted by Pilken:
You might want a good backpack if you plan on commuting on it.
Already got that aspect covered. Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a Kawasaki Z1 when I returned from Vietnam in June 1973. The serial number was 00053.

I appreciate how Kawasaki kept the styling, but I would have to go with the Indian (with the mentioned exhaust modification).

USMC (Ret) 1970-1990
Recovering 1911 Addict
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 186 | Location: Manassas, VA | Registered: May 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
It’s only been a few days since Triumph announced the Trident and already some of the concepts based off of it are looking promising. I think it’s safe to say there will be some incredible custom builds based off the new Triumph Trident.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21238 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know anything personally about either of these. But what I do know is that if you care at all about it running long term you don't want the Indian.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11178 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
It’s only been a few days since Triumph announced the Trident and already some of the concepts based off of it are looking promising. I think it’s safe to say there will be some incredible custom builds based off the new Triumph Trident.

Now that's cool! It would break my back riding it so not an option, but it is a cool concept.

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:

Those motorcycle clip ons make my wrists hurt looking at them

Posts: 2681 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shades of my Norton cafe’ racer days in the 60’s!

My God, how I miss those days!

Cue Springsteen’s ”Glory Days”

No quarter
.308/.223

Posts: 2159 | Location: Central Florida.  | Registered: March 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Judging by the relation of the bars with the seat that Trident concept should be a hoot to ride for about 30-45 minutes. It’s ergos look almost identical to my modified Bandit 400.

I love the gauges on this bike and even the low as hell clip ons which give it a MUCH more aggressive look and feel. It’s not a bike I would ever take on a long trip anyway given it’s tiny 399cc four cylinder engine. I wish Suzuki or someone would make 400cc bikes great again. The tach on this bike goes up to 18,000 rpm!!! Eek

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21238 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Go with comfort and which fits you better.

I like the looks of the Kawasaki.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53249 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw a Z900RS at the bike shop today. The photos here do not do it justice. It is a gorgeous bike parked out in the sunlight!

Didn’t want to make my bike jealous, so I didn’t look to hard at it, besides, it looks even less like a dirt worthy bike now that I saw it in person.

Posts: 889 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw a Z900RS at the bike shop today. The photos here do not do it justice. It is an absolutely gorgeous bike parked out in the sunlight!

Didn’t want to make my bike jealous, so I didn’t look to hard at it, besides, it looks even less like a dirt worthy bike now that I saw it in person.

Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
phydough, I think you may be confusing the intended purpose for the naked/standard class of motorcycle. They are street bikes pretty much exclusively.
I believe what you are thinking of is an adventure bike or perhaps a scrambler.

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m in the Powersports business, and have been so for almost 15 years. I just took one of those Indian’s on trade recently, and my thought mirror the thoughts of the test rider on an MC Commute espisode. The bike really feels like a “Gen 1” version. Just not smoothed out yet. Indian/Victory/Polaris/China is basically trash. I’d stick to Japanese if you can, that Kawi is a nice bike. I’ll add in a wildcard though if you’re specifically looking at a retro standard:

https://www.yamahamotorsports....ritage/models/xsr900

Once you ride a triple you’re usually ruined for life.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 990 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ryanp225. No, I’m not confused, I just have certain thoughts of what makes motorcycling fun for me. And, if I can force someone else into wanting to play in the dirt on a 550lb. machine...... Razz Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

I ride an Africa Twin.

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JonDaddy82:
I’ll add in a wildcard though if you’re specifically looking at a retro standard:

https://www.yamahamotorsports....ritage/models/xsr900

Once you ride a triple you’re usually ruined for life.
I did both look at and research that bike. It still might be an option, but it just doesn't stir me like the Kawi does. The Kawi's specific ties to the '70's Z1 is very appealing, and as I noted, I wanted a Z1/Z900 but couldn't buy one due to lifestyle constraints.

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I can't believe it's page 4 and nobody has given this answer - buy them both Big Grin

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23692 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post