SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Please tell me all the reasons I should 'not' buy this (Motorcycle related)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Please tell me all the reasons I should 'not' buy this (Motorcycle related) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
The Kawasaki looks a little too 80s UJM, so I'd get the Indian.

I'm with bigdeal on this one, I'd go with the Kawi because it does look so 80s UJM. Not a fan of the styling of the Indian.

Posts: 1164 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
https://www.motorcycle.com/sho...ph-scrambler-1200-xc

Some observations about the FTR in this article.
( even though different model)

Posts: 16208 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I asked him what he liked about the Kawasaki. Keep in mind this guy has owned probably 60+ motorcycles and he is always buying and selling as he has zero nostalgia or connection to any bike for very long. Right now he loves his Kawasaki but he never keeps a bike longer than two years.

He said it’s a pretty cool standard that is comfy to ride. He loves the retro looks the most and that’s what sold him on the Kawasaki. The bike gets a lot of comments and attention as people tend to think it’s an old/classic bike. This is my friend who works on BMW bikes and loves anything old or retro styled. As far as performance he doesn’t have any complaints but said the bike definitely would benefit from an ECU reflash and a bit of suspension work. I’m surprised he didn’t get the Kawi green version.

Someone mentioned a Triumph Triple earlier so I probably should mention that Triumph just a few days ago released a new standard bike with a triple that has a similar retro vibe going with its styling.

Triumph Trident triple

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21238 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I vote for the Kawasaki. Indian just doesn't "look" right and even though the front tire on the Kawi looks a little small it's still better proportioned. Right now I'm waiting for an F850GS I ordered to get here- but before that I had a Bonneville and am almost second guessing myself that I did not consider the Triumph Scrambler 1200.

Posts: 377 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Just have to say that the fastest I’ve ever driven a vehicle was one of those Kawasaki’s back in the 70’s. Damn flew past 170 mph and I didn’t look after that...

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6482 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
Kawasaki by miles!

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
Of those two I like the Indian, however I think you really need to take a good long test ride on both.

This past year I traded in a really nice Harley Sportster Custom for a Ducati Diavel. A good friend of mine, who currently owns about 10 bikes, kept telling me to ride his Diavel. At first I didn't like the looks of it, and thought it wasn't a bike I would ever be interested in.
I ended up taking him up on his offer one night and was amazed by the performance and comfort. A few months later I rode it for a couple of hours on all kinds of different roads and when we got back I was in love with it.
I started looking hard for one after that and eventually found a 2016 Diavel that was just about like new.
My point is to really try hard to figure out how you think you want to ride and then go actually saddle up and ride bikes that interest you. You may be surprised.

....And if a Ducati Diavel isn't on your radar, it should be. They are absolutely amazing.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 902 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Wow! That's Kawasexy right there.
Don't forget Yamaha's retro naked bike while you're shopping.

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
Both bikes are nice as are the Yamaha and the Triumph. I really like the Indian FTR.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3730 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Kawi definitely has the retro edge, and the Indian is very sharp looking,the Indian has was purpose built to not be a typical big company cruiser.

We have 4 indian dealers here, and about a dozen Kawi dealers, see who'll let you take one out for more than a ride around the block...

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
The Indian kinda looks like a Yamaha VMax (My grail bike).

Posts: 5821 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
I asked him what he liked about the Kawasaki.
Thanks very much for the feedback.
quote:
Someone mentioned a Triumph Triple earlier so I probably should mention that Triumph just a few days ago released a new standard bike with a triple that has a similar retro vibe going with its styling.
That bike is cool, but I just don't see any retro aspect(s) of it. Just looks like another version of a naked bike.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
Both are great bikes. I did some extensive shopping and research late last year and early this year in preparation for a naked (or light sport touring) bike replacement for my FJR1300, and looked at both of the bikes you mention among a large handful of other models (ended up getting a '20 BMW R1250R).

While I don't believe you can make a wrong choice with either and without getting into the weeds with spec/tech/component differences, for me I see it as the choice between power and aesthetics -- the FTR will spank the Kawi in power and torque, but the Kawasaki harkens that UJM nostalgia you mention much better and will likely be a more comfortable all-around bike, one with a comfortable character that's thrilling enough to satisfy but won't tempt you to do things at speeds you shouldn't do after a 10-year hiatus from riding.

Not to muddy your selection even further, but if nostalgia is as important to you as performance, have you considered the BMW RT9 or the Triumph Speed Twin?

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ASKSmith:
The Kawasaki.

Indian has lost it’s “heritage”, as it has been scuttled and restarted numerous times. Doesn’t Polaris own them now? You are basically just paying for a name, that has lost it’s legacy. Just my opinion, but why pay that much for a bike when the other will do just the same. And will have better dealer support.

I think Polaris has done an excellent job resurrecting the Indian brand, staying true to the old Indian classic styling while at the same time integrating modern electronics to make the bikes safer to ride. Indian motorcycles aren't cheap but they are competitively priced with the competition so while your not getting an original Indian you are getting a great rendition of the original thats a good quality well built motorcycle.

Posts: 1725 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
loving that Kawasaki

reminds me of a Suzuki I had back in the mid-80s

------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still Waters Run Deep
Picture of Quicksand
posted Hide Post
That kawasaki is sweeeeeet!

Then again, either would be great fun!

---------------
-Quicksand-

Posts: 2326 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Indians FTR doesn’t really look that more retro than the new Triumph Trident. They both have circle headlights and sort of retro looking gastanks but the Kawasaki is much more successful at pulling off the retro look.

I think an exhaust change would drastically improve the FTR’s looks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21238 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ll give you a reason why NOT to buy either of those bikes. Dirt. Neither one of them would be good off pavement. Short suspension travel on both will seriously degrade how much fun you can have out in the woods. I’ve never ridden in Florida swamps so.... maybe one of these might just suit you better. Big Grin

Posts: 889 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Kawi every time. Amazing looking bike, and is apparently a fantastic bike. A guy in my neighborhood has one and he's a bike junkie. He says it's his favorite bike ever.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3296 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Indians FTR doesn’t really look that more retro than the new Triumph Trident. They both have circle headlights and sort of retro looking gastanks but the Kawasaki is much more successful at pulling off the retro look.

I think an exhaust change would drastically improve the FTR’s looks.
I swear, the gauges of the Kawi are a huge draw for me, though I'd bet they would not be for many here.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post