SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    San Fran weekend of 04/8 what to do
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

San Fran weekend of 04/8 what to do Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
    Some must-sees:

• Golden Gate Bridge/Palace of Fine Arts
  • Ocean Beach/Cliff House
  • Golden Gate Park
  • Pier 39/Fisherman's Wharf/Ghirardelli Square
  • Chinatown/North Beach/Coit Tower
  • Market Street/Union Square
  • Japantown
  • Lombard Street (crookedest street)
  • Cable Cars

If you want key chains, refrigerator magnets and cheap t shirts then Pier 39 is the place to go. Other than a bunch of stinky seals floating on wooden barges there is nothing worth your time.

Lomard street is cool for all of 5 seconds. Good luck trying to get a picture without 50 people blocking your shot.

Cable car was neat. You will have to wait in line for about 30+ minutes while behind harassed by the homeless.

Alcatraz very interesting and worth the time to check out.

Honestly SF is a shit hole. I would take a drive to Napa and see the wineries before stepping foot in SF again.

Posts: 5426 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
    Some must-sees:

• Golden Gate Bridge/Palace of Fine Arts
  • Ocean Beach/Cliff House
  • Golden Gate Park
  • Pier 39/Fisherman's Wharf/Ghirardelli Square
  • Chinatown/North Beach/Coit Tower
  • Market Street/Union Square
  • Japantown
  • Lombard Street (crookedest street)
  • Cable Cars

If you want key chains, refrigerator magnets and cheap t shirts then Pier 39 is the place to go. Other than a bunch of stinky seals floating on wooden barges there is nothing worth your time.

Lomard street is cool for all of 5 seconds. Good luck trying to get a picture without 50 people blocking your shot.

Cable car was neat. You will have to wait in line for about 30+ minutes while behind harassed by the homeless.

Alcatraz very interesting and worth the time to check out.

Honestly SF is a shit hole. I would take a drive to Napa and see the wineries before stepping foot in SF again.

Well, I know all that. I do live here. This is for Dewhorse's wife and mother-in-law. He asked for "must-sees". You're right, the place isn't what it used to be, but them are still the main attractions. Touristy? How do we know they don't want touristy? Obviously many do.

I doubt if they want to tell people that they spent their trip to San Francisco at a gun range in South City.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16399 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Going to San Francisco and spending your tourist dollars there just supports the miserable politicians and their anti-American policies.

I am forced to go there at least once a year on company business. I try to stay outside the city, and spend as little as possible. After a week, my inner voice is screaming to get out of there, and the first thing I want to do when I get home is take a shower.

Okay, I get it. You're going and want to know what to do. If you like Chinese food, go to the best Chinese restaurant in America (in my opinion), House of Nanking on Kearny Street. If you catch owner Peter Fang onsite, don't order off the menu. Just ask him what's good, and he'll bring you the best food you've tasted this side of Beijing.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
If it's cold and foggy, a stop at the Buena Vista Cafe for an Irish coffee is a must-do.
Now in the old days, for the ladies there was I. Magnin, Joseph Magnin, Gump's, City of Paris....and they would wear a dress, heels, gloves, and a hat. Sigh.

Posts: 18095 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
Thank you, she and my mil will have a car and budget is lower upper.....nothing silly but willing to pay for good for and/or experinces

Why the car? The city is much too crowded and you'll pull your hair out looking for parking, dealing with how to park, the cost of parking, dealing with traffic, one way streets and navigating. Why the car? Use taxi or, car share...seriously, the car will be a burden rather than a benefit.

Aside from the museums (a few good ones), interesting man-made structures (Coit Tower for best view) and captivating neighborhoods (stay away from Haight-Ashbury but, do visit Hayes Valley and Upper Fillmore) the best aspect of San Francisco is it's food scene. Where are they staying (neighborhood) and what kind of food would they be interested in (American (traditional or, modern) Californian, Italian (northern or, southern), Chinese (Cantonese, Mandarin, Szechuan..), seafood, steak..) there's a lot of options, just list them out and the membership will be more than willing to provide options.
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Now in the old days, for the ladies there was I. Magnin, Joseph Magnin, Gump's, City of Paris....and they would wear a dress, heels, gloves, and a hat. Sigh.

Sounds like a conversation with the older family members during family dinners.

Posts: 14699 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aileron:
quote:
Dim Sum at Yank Sing?

I *never* miss an outing to Yank Sing on Stevenson.

Just wondering, why do you prefer the Stevenson location? I prefer the Howard Street restaurant.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18027 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Slight drift.

Any recommendations for good Benedict and coffee north of Geary from bay to ocean without the annoyance of flaming snowflakes? Just want to enjoy a decent, peaceful breakfast. Someplace as red as you can get in SF?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12762 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Sorry, all my good breakfast recommendations are south of Market.

If you're willing to venture that far, go to Dottie's True Blue Cafe. It's the absolute best breakfast place I've been in the City.

http://dottiestruebluesf.com/menu/

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18027 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I can make that work. Parking not too bad there either. If it’s not crowded, I’ll try it. Thanks.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12762 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Just be warned that the area is a total shithole. I parked at the Fifth & Mission garage because it was safer for my car. The walk from there is two blocks.

Another couple of recommendations:
Kitchen Story @ 16th & Sanchez
Just For You @ 22nd & Tennessee

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thx. Yea, maybe I’ll do that. It’s a cheap garage too.

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I updated my previous post, in case you're interested in something else.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks much. I’ll try Dottie’s given a more convenient location. But JFY sounds interesting. Pic of what looks like scratch hash with hollandaise sauce looks good.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Must be good. Too crowded. Line outside. Ended up at some French pastry place nearby. Next time.

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Yeah. It was only after I went to bed that I realized that I should have said to be there before 8 to get in.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
No worries. I found Benedict a few blocks away. Decent ingredients but I prefer it hot or warm and not cold. Is cold Benedict typical? Overall, it was pricey and left much to be desired despite ingredients and well poached eggs. Including the coffee. I should have gone for pancakes. Look forward to one of your recommendations next time.

posted Hide Post
Took my wife, kids and Mother in Law there over Christmas for the first time, some feedback:

we liked the on/off bus ride, a good way to see the city and get our bearings

Per 39 is tourist trap, avoid it

Chinatown was a bust, food ok, shops bad

we rented a car one day, drove over the Golden Gate, had a great breakfast in Mill Valley at Shoreline Coffee Shop (best breakfast of the trip), Muir Woods was awesome - my favorite part of the entire trip, stopped in Sausilto on way back, our favorite day -- be at Muir woods when they open

Drove through the Presido, including a drive through the cemetery, neat place

Ate Italian in the North Beach area, went early, walked around and checked out the shops, sat in the park near the church Joe Dimaggio had pictures taken outside of with MM , found a gelato place, maybe our most relaxing night there

hung out at an Irish pub near our hotel, the Intercontinental, good spot

Son and I toured AT&T Park, nice park, ate at 21st Amendment mirco brew on the walk home, pretty good food.

Posts: 1703 | Location: Alpharetta, GA | Registered: September 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post