SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    San Fran weekend of 04/8 what to do
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

San Fran weekend of 04/8 what to do Login/Join 
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted
My wife is traveling to the Bay area for work and decided to take her Mom.

They will be there Friday through Sunday, what are the must sees

She did not like my ideas;
Needle / fecal matter scavenger hunt
Homeless tag
Pin the MAGA hat of the snowflake

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
San Fran weekend of 04/8 what to do

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:

They will be there Friday through Sunday, what are the must sees

She did not like my ideas;
Needle / fecal matter scavenger hunt
Homeless tag
Pin the MAGA hat of the snowflake

I understand there is a San Francisco poop map that might show where to go, or not go, depending on your scavenger hunt. Smile

Maybe Fisherman's Wharf, Golden Gate Bridge, somewhere along the Pacific coast. But there are some forum members closer than I am who would have better suggestions.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Really depends on what they're interested in seeing and doing and how much they want to spend and how mobile they are. There's shopping and museums and food. Fishermans Wharf and Pier 39 are tourist traps and not worth seeing. Alcatraz is cool but requires advance reservations. Beyond that give me a little more to work with and I'll try to offer up some suggestions.

The needle and poop hunt is too easy because they're everywhere.

Posts: 4284 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
If it's their first time, it's always worth taking the city bus tour in any city I've never been to. It gives you ideas of where you want to go back for a deeper dive.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19723 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They like museums ? Palace of fine arts and SF Museum or Modern Art (MoMA) are very cool. They like science ? The new Steinhart Aquarium is amazing and the exploratorium are cool. What’s their budget for restaraunts ? There’s Michelin Star restaraunts available all the way down food trucks. Is there an age range we’re dealing with ? Do They like walking up hills?.

Good news is Über, Lyft and taxis are all very reliable and easy to get pretty much anywhere in the city.

Posts: 4785 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:

Sent you an email.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19723 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you talking must sees for them? You alone? Or you with them? Other can advise you on where to go/not go or letting those two go alone.

If you can get some solo time, this is the only restored Nike missile site.

http://www.nikemissile.org/site_sf88.shtml

https://www.nps.gov/goga/nike-missile-site.htm

Posts: 15912 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
When you get here, do the following: Pack up and get the fuck out.
Sigforum talks a lot of shit about San Francisco, but it's really going downhill this year.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18027 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
There are some really cool restaurant crawls... My wife and a group of her teacher friend's spend a long weekend out there every summer

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
AT&T Park if the giants are in town. I don’t like the giants, but their Park is great.

Posts: 691 | Registered: January 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
The diversity of dining choices is good. As mentioned above, some decent museums (but I don't care for MOMA or modern art in general - I just don't get it).

If the weather is nice, strolling on the path on Crissy Field beach is okay (albeit a little crowded at times). Crissy Field / Yacht club to Fort Point and back.

Walt Disney Museum?

Dim Sum at Yank Sing?

I'm drawing a blank. Been to that area too much lately and really hate it. Really depends on their ages and interests.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12763 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Walking out on the Golden Gate bridge is fun.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
    Some must-sees:

• Golden Gate Bridge/Palace of Fine Arts
  • Ocean Beach/Cliff House
  • Golden Gate Park
  • Pier 39/Fisherman's Wharf/Ghirardelli Square
  • Chinatown/North Beach/Coit Tower
  • Market Street/Union Square
  • Japantown
  • Lombard Street (crookedest street)
  • Cable Cars

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16399 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Thank you, she and my mil will have a car and budget is lower upper.....nothing silly but willing to pay for good for and/or experinces

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I found most of the tourist traps I had seen on TV to be boring and anti-climatic (eg Fisherman’s wharf, China town, Ghirardelli Square, etc). Lombard Street was the exception.

What I found exceptionally cool was riding in a rickshaw along the water, catching a baseball game (rabid baseball fans not a bunch of snowflakes) and riding a trolley back to the hotel. Also, I used the Eater Essential 38 list (foodie website with 3x or 4x per year recommendation updates for dining at all different genres and price points) and had some exceptional meals.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23335 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old, Slow,
but Lucky!
Picture of dsmack
posted Hide Post
If they like well prepared, delicious seafood:
Tadich Grill, 240 California St. in the Financial District of downtown SF.

The best seafood in the City... been doing it for something like 160 years!

Don

Posts: 3418 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
Taking a dump in Pelosi's yard comes to mind. Chinatown is great if you've never been there. Santa Cruz is pretty cool too.

Posts: 4025 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dim Sum at Yank Sing?

^^^^ I try to avoid San Francisco, but if I must be there I *never* miss an outing to Yank Sing on Stevenson. A drive over to Half Moon Bay could be nice depending upon the coastal weather.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: aileron,

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
If I were to visit that area again, I would get out of the city and go a little bit north.

Go over the Golden Gate Bridge and visit Muir Woods: https://www.nps.gov/muwo/index.htm

And then keep going and visit Point Reyes National Seashore.

Posts: 3233 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post