SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any ancient books collectors / experts in the house?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any ancient books collectors / experts in the house? Login/Join 
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted
I have a very old book (18xx) that I've been told it has some insect activity going on. Minuscule little bugs.
Eventually, I'd like to be able to have it appraised and sell it, so inmeantime it would be nice to cure it and get rid of the problem.

Help and advice greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Don't remember the exact name of the book but I believe it is a storia d italia or something like it. If anyone is interested.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12148 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
put it in an empty fish tank and fill with a heavier than air gas?

Posts: 8151 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd look for an antique book shop in your area and ask who they use for this type of activity.

Failing that, I found the following link:

https://www.hrc.utexas.edu/con...n/resources/insects/

Posts: 2776 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
When I looked into this in the past, I think the idea was to get a 5-gallon bucket with lid (like a Homer bucket at Home Depot), put the book in, put in DRY ice (frozen CO2), and put the lid on.

Posts: 18094 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I like the dry ice idea, if the technique is perfected and will not damage the book. You don't want condensation on the book.

Maybe the book can be vacuum sealed, suffocating the bugs.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5967 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Microwave? Cook 'em!

On second thought, that might do bad things to the spine glue. Never mind.

Posts: 6516 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've gotten help from museums in the past. They usually are happy to help.

Posts: 17153 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check with the museum. They have experts and are often happy to talk and offer advice.

The microwave idea has some merit. I would ask about that idea at the museum. It should not take long.

Posts: 2134 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post