SIGforum
Any ancient books collectors / experts in the house?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/5310073454

March 09, 2019, 04:53 PM
0-0
Any ancient books collectors / experts in the house?
I have a very old book (18xx) that I've been told it has some insect activity going on. Minuscule little bugs.
Eventually, I'd like to be able to have it appraised and sell it, so inmeantime it would be nice to cure it and get rid of the problem.

Help and advice greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Don't remember the exact name of the book but I believe it is a storia d italia or something like it. If anyone is interested.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20
March 09, 2019, 04:57 PM
FenderBender
put it in an empty fish tank and fill with a heavier than air gas?
March 09, 2019, 05:00 PM
SigSAC
I'd look for an antique book shop in your area and ask who they use for this type of activity.

Failing that, I found the following link:

https://www.hrc.utexas.edu/con...n/resources/insects/
March 09, 2019, 05:14 PM
sjtill
When I looked into this in the past, I think the idea was to get a 5-gallon bucket with lid (like a Homer bucket at Home Depot), put the book in, put in DRY ice (frozen CO2), and put the lid on.

March 09, 2019, 11:13 PM
mr kablammo
I like the dry ice idea, if the technique is perfected and will not damage the book. You don't want condensation on the book.

Maybe the book can be vacuum sealed, suffocating the bugs.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.
March 10, 2019, 09:17 AM
architect
Microwave? Cook 'em!

On second thought, that might do bad things to the spine glue. Never mind.
March 10, 2019, 12:37 PM
Fredward
I've gotten help from museums in the past. They usually are happy to help.
March 10, 2019, 04:12 PM
Chris42
Check with the museum. They have experts and are often happy to talk and offer advice.

The microwave idea has some merit. I would ask about that idea at the museum. It should not take long.