SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A little advice regarding breaking up with my girlfriend?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A little advice regarding breaking up with my girlfriend? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I think she already has an inkling. You have been thinking about breaking up for a while. Most men are not very subtle.

Posts: 1197 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Git'er done, now is the perfect time . The sooner ,the better. Pretty soon she is going to want you to "spend the night" (wink). This whole health shitfest is the answer to everyone's break up prayer's . Best wishes.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54651 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Tell her the truth. Women tell men every day "I just want to be friends" so it's a two way street. Tell her the truth, tell her you'll be there for her in support and friendship, and move on. I loathe cheaters (never have cheated on anyone in my life) so she should appreciate the fact you haven't done anything and wish to do the right thing. Breaking up is hard, always, on the party that wants to stay in the relationship.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12642 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Send her an email saying you got Wuhan and died.

She'll get the hint.

j/k Razz

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Additional thought...

The other logistical issue is that we are supposed to be 'staying in home'. Both she and I are in categories considered 'at risk' so we've been locked in our separate isolation booths.

After being together this long I don't think I'd want to do it over the phone.

Shitty situation. For what it's worth, I really appreciate having you guys to discuss this with.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12335 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Women bounce back from these types of things faster than us. I wouldn't worry about her.

If you know she's not the one just tell her.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
I got stuck in that situation a couple of years ago. I knew it was over, she didn't, I was being distant to find "the right time", but she pressed the topic over text on Thanksgiving when we were at our respective family gatherings. So I just laid it out over a few text messages. I felt like an ass for doing it that way, but no way was I letting that stew and no way was I getting on the phone.

The main points were
-This isn't your fault, you did nothing wrong
-That spark or fire in my gut wasn't there, that's on me
-Being distant and holding onto this wasn't fair, and I apologized

She was hurt. She got over it. I stayed somewhat in touch until she caught TDS and went full left.

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
Rip that bandaid off. I don't think there is any tap dancing around something like this. Normally I would say do it face to face but present situation requires and probably allows over the phone. Not an envious position to be in obviously but one that you'll feel ok about if you handle it properly. I would want my significant other to be honest. I also think that when this virus is over you will want a fresh start and be able to enjoy the optimism as opposed to having to go through the pain of breaking up then.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5910 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
just remember the movie "fatal attraction".

Posts: 2217 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Additional thought...

The other logistical issue is that we are supposed to be 'staying in home'. Both she and I are in categories considered 'at risk' so we've been locked in our separate isolation booths.

After being together this long I don't think I'd want to do it over the phone.

Shitty situation. For what it's worth, I really appreciate having you guys to discuss this with.

Facetime

Messenger Video

Whatsapp video

or any other similar platform.

It's not ideal, but these are strange times.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Clean break is recommended, immediately.

Over the phone / video isn't ideal, but neither is letting it drag out for longer than it has to.

If you are both at risk, there is no reason to risk a face to face.

quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
Get RHINO to do it for you. He has a certain way with words.
Yeah, it's easy.

"Sorry baby, but it's over. I've enjoyed our time together but don't see it going any further."

Wash, rinse, repeat as often as needed. It can take some of them awhile to understand that you mean it.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s tough dealin’ with good people. Best your way!
[FLASH_VIDEO]

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/F3r24WmN5xA [/FLASH_VIDEO]

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
My sincere opinion is this.

I understand that you care for her. It sounds like you love her but are not in love with her. At this point it seems to me, and I don't mean this in a judgemental way, that not telling her how you feel and continuing the relationship would be just using her. Covid sucks, but it looks like it's gonna be around for a while, meaning it's not like you'd be putting it off for a week. Make the break soon for both of you.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
normally I'd be for the 'rip off the bandaid' approach -- quick and done

but as you mention -- in the middle of this unprecedented situation IMO there's little harm in delaying 45 days or so

just try to make the best of it and save the unpleasant breakup for when 'sunny skies' are more possible

--------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
Women bounce back from these types of things faster than us. I wouldn't worry about her.

I know a marine who is a fishing guide in the Florida Keys, trips for veterans are free. When he moved from Idaho, his Canadian girlfriend committed suicide.

Posts: 7458 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
Who is hotter?

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
The sooner the better in the this case. She will need to focus on herself anyway.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:

I know a marine who is a fishing guide in the Florida Keys, trips for veterans are free. When he moved from Idaho, his Canadian girlfriend committed suicide.

The possiblity is not that remote, in OP's case, considering his present GF being "madly in love" with him. But, a man's got to do what a man's got to do. Not advising anything. Just observing.

Q

Posts: 26413 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
Yeah, staying with someone because they might commit suicide is moronic.

She would have likely offed herself for some other reason eventually, or her insanity was the reason he left her.

I know a guy who's long time girlfriend of 18 months left him when he was at deaths door from a horrible stomach / pancreas infection that had him split wide open for weeks and recovering for over a year. They flew him back from deployment (emergency because he almost died) and about a month into it she broke up with him.

Shit happens. It's called life.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
If you string girl #1 along and tell girl #2 to bide her time then you'll lose respect from #2.

"I know a guy" thread addition. I know a guy who's GF threatened to kill herself if they didn't marry. He married her. Had to sell his house he loved, give up most of his hobbies, and move way out to live with her and her 2 kids (that he had no interest in raising).

We all know guys and stories. Ronin is dealing with life and trying to do what's right in his situation. He has my confidence that he will do what is right in his situation, whatever that outcome is.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5646 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post