SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gorsuch hearing
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 20
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gorsuch hearing Login/Join 
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
I want the Republicans to use the nuclear option. I also want them to remember that the Democrats used the nuclear option and Harry Reid refused to allow any Republican bills to be heard on the floor for three years. I want to Republicans to make that happen as well. Force the Democrats to sit there and watch As we repair of the country.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
Senator Joe Manchin of West Virginia became the first Democrat to announce he plans to vote to confirm Judge Gorsuch to the Supreme Court.

Shortly after his announcement, Senator Heidi Heitkamp of North Dakota also announced she would vote to confirm Gorsuch

http://hotair.com/archives/201...nfirm-judge-gorsuch/
Good signs.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
http://hotair.com/archives/201...ng-lack-of-humanity/

sen. Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.) on Friday said she will vote to support a filibuster of President Trump’s Supreme Court nominee, Neil Gorsuch.

The announcement makes it significantly harder for Gorsuch to muster the 60 votes he needs to overcome a filibuster and advance to a final confirmation vote.

Donald Trump beat Clinton by 19% in Missouri

McCaskill is up for reelection in 2018

Posts: 19588 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
"A controversial vote will cost you some votes in the next election. A courageous vote will cost you the election." Sir Arnold Robinson

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
quote:
http://hotair.com/archives/201...ng-lack-of-humanity/

sen. Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.) on Friday said she will vote to support a filibuster of President

Trump’s Supreme Court nominee, Neil Gorsuch.

The announcement makes it significantly harder for Gorsuch to muster the 60 votes he needs to overcome a filibuster and advance to a final confirmation vote.

Donald Trump beat Clinton by 19% in Missouri

McCaskill is up for reelection in 2018

This really grinds my gears. Some of you may remember in 2012 when McCaskill, the incumbent, was being soundly trounced by double digits in the polls late in the campaign.

Enter the ever-so-helpful Republican candidate, himself a veteran politician who should have known better, who made an inane, indefensible statement about 'legitimate rape'.

He may have had a chance had he clarified his statement, but instead, he doubled down and thus assured that he would snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. He ended up squandering a double-digit lead and turning it into a double-digit loss. And now, we get to deal with Sen. McCaskill. Hopefully, only until 2018.

Posts: 7317 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
I want the Republicans to use the nuclear option. I also want them to remember that the Democrats used the nuclear option and Harry Reid refused to allow any Republican bills to be heard on the floor for three years. I want to Republicans to make that happen as well. Force the Democrats to sit there and watch As we repair of the country.

This requires intestinal fortitude and a large nut sack to accommodate large balls. Now think about who you are talking about and ask yourself when was the last time they showed signs of having either.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8535 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Senate Judiciary Committee Vote on Neil Gorsuch Nomination will be Monday 10am

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:

This requires intestinal fortitude and a large nut sack to accommodate large balls. Now think about who you are talking about and ask yourself when was the last time they showed signs of having either.
But I think the one thing that might make a difference with these GOP cowards is that if they project cowardice and and back away from this and other issues, the voters may relieve them of that "nut sack" you mentioned when election time rolls around in 2018.

They just need to get this confirmation done and tee up the next one.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:

Committee vote is a lock, he'll be sent to the full Senate for a vote and so far 3 dems have said they will vote for him. That makes 55 if all 52 republicans vote for him (and I think they are all on record supporting him).

The 3 dems who have said they will vote for him:

Manchin (WV)
Donnelly (IN)
Heitcamp (ND)

38 are on record against him and 7 have not announced yet. Here are the 7:

It will take 5 out of the 7 undecideds to avoid a showdown on the nuclear option.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
quote:

It will take 5 out of the 7 undecideds to avoid a showdown on the nuclear option.

For some reason, I really want Gorsuch to get 60 votes and avoid the Republicans dropping the nuke. Maybe I just want some semblance of normalcy returning. I'm seriously dismayed by what's going on in Washington.

Then again I'm thinking screw it. Get it over with. It'll make the next nominee (which I'm fully expecting Trump will have at least one more) an almost guarantee confirmation, and we can dispense with the bull.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30411 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:

I would prefer the nuke option. Hoist the fascists on their own petard.

Posts: 8628 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
I hope the DEMs force the issue too.

Schumer is now proposing a new nominee who is jointly selected by REPs and DEMs. (hard to take Schumer seriously)

with the high caliber of Neil Gorsuch, the DEMs trying to filibuster him gives a best case for the nuclear option. REPs will 1) have a solid justifiable case for such action, and 2) have the new rule established for future vacancies.

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hope the DEMs force the issue too.

Schumer is now proposing a new nominee who is jointly selected by REPs and DEMs. (hard to take Schumer seriously)

with the high caliber of Neil Gorsuch, the DEMs trying to filibuster him gives a best case for the nuclear option. REPs will 1) have a solid justifiable case for such action, and 2) have the new rule established for future vacancies.

Ahhh, the old Kenny Stabler ploy, just don't let the clock run out. Maybe something good will happen.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

I seriously want to punch that dude in the face.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30411 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why is there a commitee at all? The President advises. Full Senate vote taken. Done.

My guess is that the Committee (based on the makeup of the Senate) can reflect the political mood of the country at the time of the appointment. Since the voter has no direct say in appointing Justices.

Elections have consequences.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
"Tweaked" it for you! LOL

quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

I seriously want to punch drop kick that dude in the face taint and then feed his sorry ass to the animals at the zoo!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16231 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Schumer obviously doesn't care that his proposal is wildly unconstitutional. It is the President who nominates. The Senate advises and consents, or not.

You lose, Chuck.

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Sen. Schumer will undoubtedly lose this round. What he doesn't seem to realize (or is just unwilling to accept) is that if he forces the "Nuclear Option" (which WILL BE USED if necessary, I am sure) he has set up for much more serious problems for the Democrats in the future.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Sen Tester (D) from Montana will vote against Gorsuch.

This could turn out really great. The REPs jam Gorsuch in over top of the DEMs, and DEMs like McCaskill and Tester lose in 2018.

President Trump won Montana by 21 points.

Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sen Tester (D) from Montana will vote against Gorsuch.

This could turn out really great. The REPs jam Gorsuch in over top of the DEMs, and DEMs like McCaskill and Tester lose in 2018.

President Trump won Montana by 21 points.

They must have promised him a juicy lobbyist position for his vote.

That makes 39 against - the dems will need to get only 2 of the now 6 undecideds to force the nuclear option.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post