SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gorsuch hearing
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 20
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gorsuch hearing Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
quote:
Got any better ideas for why it looks like they make be pressing for the rebubs to invoke the nuclear option?

Just a guess, but

Schumer prob anticipates there will be at least one more open SC spot in the next 4 years.

He would like to establish some future leverage. So he publicly says there will be a filibuster on Gorsuch.

While in parallel, some other DEMs say "let's trade". We will give you Gorsuch so you don't have to go nuclear, if you agree not to go nuclear for the rest of the Trump administration.

With some of the REP senators, you never know what they might do. Some of them seem to enjoy being "bipartisan" saps for the DEMs.

What does Schumer have to lose ? He knows it is likely he will have to force the nuclear option sooner or later. This may be his only bargaining opportunity.

just a guess

maybe it is all a grand show for the fanatical rabid dog DEM base.

Posts: 19608 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by triggertreat:
quote:
Originally posted by wishfull thinker:
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
...REBig Grinemocrates "You are perpetually pissed off insufferable little cuntly asshole and you just lost the presidency. They have to do something to energize their base of criminally insane fools.

Nuke em.

Your post is remarkably rude and insensitive to the party out of power and also ends with a resort to violence; I like how you think-it's the only way to be sure.

You are kidding right? Nuke was in the context of using the nuclear option to confirm Judge Gorsuch.

Ummm, I recognized his post as... humor.

Read it lightly and bemusedly.

This stalling of Judge Gorsuch's inevitable confirmation is wearing thin with me. He seems a decent and honorable man, as any Judge should be.

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
Doesn't mean they won't. Just trying to figure angles to them not confirming Gorsuch. Got any better ideas for why it looks like they make be pressing for the rebubs to invoke the nuclear option?

I think it's because they smell blood in the water and know they only have to peel off 2 republicans to prevent the nuclear option from becoming a reality. Schumer may already know or have made a deal with some RINOs to 'preserve the integrity of the Senate, blah, blah, blah' while in reality he has made some back room deal with them.

You have to get it out of your head that this has anything to do with Gorsuch or the Supreme Court. Just as the healthcare debate had nothing to do with healthcare. It's all about taking Trump out and reducing his power and influence.

If they are able to threaten a filibuster and force a vote on the nuclear option and they manage to peel off a couple of republicans it would be a major coup of epic proportions. If the republicans stick together and go nuclear the dems can crow to the media about 'unprecedented partisanship' on the part of the republicans and that will be the media narrative.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shoulda Coulda
Oughta Woulda
posted Hide Post
There are 124 federal judge positions currently awaiting nominations, including 4 on the 9th CCA. Without the nuclear option, there is zero hope of filling even half in the next 2 years.

Posts: 543 | Registered: June 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ss9961:
There are 124 federal judge positions currently awaiting nominations, including 4 on the 9th CCA. Without the nuclear option, there is zero hope of filling even half in the next 2 years.

The nuclear option for federal judges and cabinet nominations is already in place. Has been since 2013. It's the only reason Trump has ANY cabinet positions filled.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
so far, REP senators seem united.

http://hotair.com/archives/201...-to-confirm-gorsuch/

Arizona senator John McCain hinted Thursday afternoon that he’s ready to confirm Judge Neil Gorsuch with a simple majority if Senate Democrats take the unprecedented step of filibustering a Supreme Court nominee. Asked what Republicans should do if 41 or more Democrats try to block Gorsuch, McCain told THE WEEKLY STANDARD: “I think we’ll address it when it happens. None of us want to do it, but we’re going to confirm Gorsuch.”

Earlier Thursday, Lindsey Graham of South Carolina also signaled that he’s willing to confirm Neil Gorsuch with a simple majority. “Whatever it takes to get him on the court, I will do,” Graham said when asked on the Mike Gallagher radio show about eliminating the 60-vote threshold for Supreme Court nominees, a rules change sometimes known as the “nuclear option.”…

“There’s no reason for anybody to filibuster,” said Lisa Murkowski, a moderate from Alaska. “Gorsuch is a good guy.”

DEM senators Joe Manchin, Claire McCaskill, Heidi Heitkamp, Angus King, Jon Tester, and Michael Bennet of Gorsuch’s home state of Colorado — are all in “still thinkin’ about it”

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:

Doesn't mean they won't. Just trying to figure angles to them not confirming Gorsuch. Got any better ideas for why it looks like they make be pressing for the rebubs to invoke the nuclear option?

There is no angle. It's straight politics playing to their base. They'll rant and rave about the evil lowdown dirty republican snakes breaking with tradition to confirm an extremist judge but it's all a show. Gorsuch is eminently qualified. His elevation to his current position, with the votes of many now in opposition, is proof. They're trying to score points in the court of public opinion because they feel Garland wasn't given a fair shake and Hil should have won. They get their media cabal to paint the Rs as the bad guy. The rules of the senate are set by the senate. It isn't a debatable position. The Ds already broke with SOP. They're simply crying over the consequences of elections. Gorsuch will be confirmed. The republic will remain.

Posts: 4284 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
was it the water that stunted their mental growth or perhaps they were beaten as kids and suffered some sort of trauma

but I really have to wonder how people like Feinstein, Leahey and others manage to get as far as they did without being killed off by walking in front of trains

Leahey used to have common sense. As states attorney, he gave rational and hilarious decision on nude swiming. My father worked with him at the state level. In Vermont, once you get elected to Congress, you're in until you retire. Leahey as been in office 42 years which is too damn long.

Leahey is one of the best arguments for term limits.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MooneyP226:
quote:
Originally posted by triggertreat:
quote:
Originally posted by wishfull thinker:
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
...REBig Grinemocrates "You are perpetually pissed off insufferable little cuntly asshole and you just lost the presidency. They have to do something to energize their base of criminally insane fools.

Nuke em.

Your post is remarkably rude and insensitive to the party out of power and also ends with a resort to violence; I like how you think-it's the only way to be sure.

You are kidding right? Nuke was in the context of using the nuclear option to confirm Judge Gorsuch.

Ummm, I recognized his post as... humor.

Read it lightly and bemusedly.

snip

Yeah, I thought it was witty but I guess I was only half right.

Posts: 6407 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
http://thehill.com/business-a-...upreme-court-nominee

Democrats are delaying for one week an initial committee vote on Neil Gorsuch, President Trump's nominee to the Supreme Court.

Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa), the chairman of the committee, said Democrats had requested that the committee's vote on Gorsuch be punted to next week.

"I understand that the minority would like to hold [him] over," Grassley said during the Judiciary Committee's meeting on Monday.

Under committee rules any one member can request that a nomination be held the first time it appears on the agenda.

Democrats were widely expected to delay the committee's vote until next week.
The delay means the committee vote will take place on April 3, giving Republicans days to meet their goal of winning Gorsuch's confirmation by the full Senate by the end of that week.

I hope there is lots and lots of payback to Schumer for his abuse of all of the Trump nominees.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
There's nothing the Dems can do to stop this. Gorsuch is our next Supreme Court Justice.

[John Wayne] Just as sure as the turnin' of the Earth. [/John Wayne]

Posts: 107762 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
http://hotair.com/archives/201...nfirmed-next-friday/

Mitch McConnell:

“As you know, next Monday Gorsuch will come out of committee, will be on the floor of the Senate next week and confirmed on Friday,”

“Judge Gorsuch, as you know, is extraordinarily well qualified. It’s almost amusing to watch our Democratic friends try to come up with some rationale for opposition"

During a Q&A, McConnell was asked about the nuclear option and replied, “It will be really up to [Democrats] how the process to confirm Judge Gorsuch goes forward.”

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Wait, let's get Al Franken to break out his little pamphlet again.

Posts: 107762 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Posted by sdy,
quote:
http://hotair.com/archives/201...nfirmed-next-friday/

Mitch McConnell:

“As you know, next Monday Gorsuch will come out of committee, will be on the floor of the Senate next week and confirmed on Friday,”

“Judge Gorsuch, as you know, is extraordinarily well qualified. It’s almost amusing to watch our Democratic friends try to come up with some rationale for opposition"

During a Q&A, McConnell was asked about the nuclear option and replied, “It will be really up to [Democrats] how the process to confirm Judge Gorsuch goes forward.”

It is wonderful to see Republican leadership project confidence on Gorsuch's confirmation. The Trump effect in full effect. I had a good friend who considered himself a Republican (he tried to get me to join him at Nauticus/the Wisconsin to see Romney & Ryan years ago). This former friend became a never Trumper because he felt Trump was a closet liberal and would do nothing to help swing the USSC to the right. The way this is playing out is absolutely perfect. Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21130 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
There's nothing the Dems can do to stop this. Gorsuch is our next Supreme Court Justice.

[John Wayne] Just as sure as the turnin' of the Earth. [/John Wayne]

Hells yes!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5915 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://youtu.be/mMp121pEGUA

a video that documents what treacherous liars the DEMs are

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/...-filibuster-n2306518

Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
The NRA is getting involved pressuring Red State Democrat Senators to confirm Gorsuch.

TTAG - NRA Targets Red State Democrat Senators

Senate Democrats will soon have the opportunity to vote on Neil Gorsuch’s Supreme Court nomination. In recent days, the National Rifle Association sent a letter to Senate leadership, warning of consequences for those who oppose Gorsuch’s bid. NRA-ILA head Chris Cox wrote (as reported by the Washington Examiner):

“Because of the importance of this issue to NRA members and gun owners throughout the country, votes on his confirmation will be considered in future candidate evaluations and we will notify our members accordingly.”

Translation: Senators can side with the radical anti-gun leadership of Chuck Schumer, pictured above, or they can vote with their constituents in support of gun rights.

The NRA will make sure they can’t have it both ways. Even in states that did not vote strongly for President Donald Trump, the NRA’s nod can make all the difference in the world.

Republicans have already announced an offensive against Democrat Senators in Trump-supporting Red States. These include (courtesy of Gateway Pundit):

Florida Bill Nelson (D)
Indiana Joe Donnelly (D)
Michigan Debbie Stabenow (D)
Missouri Claire McCaskill (D)
Montana Jon Tester (D)
New Jersey Bob Menendez (D)
North Dakota Heidi Heitkamp (D)
Ohio Sherrod Brown (D)
Pennsylvania Bob Casey (D)
Virginia Tim Kaine (D)
West Virginia Joe Manchin (D)
Wisconsin Tammy Baldwin (D)

Included in that list are NRA A-rated Senators Jon Tester (Montana), Joe Donnelly (Indiana), and Heidi Heitkamp (North Dakota). They all voted against the strongly pro-Second Amendment nomination of Jeff Sessions as U.S. Attorney General. B+ rated Bob Casey (Pennsylvania) also voted against Sessions. The NRA has noticed.

A-rated Joe Manchin from West Virginia broke from his party to back Sessions, as he likes his seat and can read the writing on the wall.

“You can’t be pro-gun if you don’t vote pro-gun.”

Professional lobbyist extraordinaire Todd Vandermyde reminded me of this while teaching me how to lobby in the Illinois General Assembly.

Of course, the corollary to the aforementioned rule: you won’t keep that A-rating if you vote against gun rights. Nationally, the NRA has fired a shot across the bow of those flirting with siding with Schumer on guns and Gorsuch.

Undoubtedly, the NRA will bring their forces to bear against politicians who lose touch with the constituents who put them into office. Obviously, this includes Democrat US Senators.

Math doesn’t lie.

I called Donald Trump’s win in the general election as early as March last year based upon the enthusiasm gap between Republicans and Democrats in the primary races. If this enthusiasm gap holds, Democrats have much to fear in the 2018 races even without antagonizing gun owners.

Democrat Senators have a particularly tough choice ahead of them in the coming days. Choose wisely, boys and girls and I’ll tell you why: The People Of The Gun pay attention. We vote, too.

Loyalty Above All Else, Except Honor

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 3873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Jon Tester is one of the slimiest SOBs I've ever met in my life (he learned it from his mentor Max Baucus). The prick shook my hand, looked me right in the eye, and lied to me (regarding the Hadjicare bill/law). I've contacted his office numerous times and receive only form-letters back and multiple spam emails (which I've had to block as there were so many).

I will do anything I can to assure that fat bastard doesn't get re-elected.

Posts: 20132 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
New Jersey Bob Menendez (D)

Talk about slime. I have to wonder if you are claiming innocence, why try so hard to keep evidence from being presented during your trial?

Supreme Court rejects Sen. Bob Menendez's appeal in corruption case

WASHINGTON -- The Supreme Court on Monday rejected Sen. Bob Menendez's request that it take up his federal corruption case, dealing a blow to the New Jersey Democrat's hope of having key evidence and charges dismissed before his trial begins.

The decision was announced Monday morning without comment from the court. It clears the way for Menendez’s trial to move forward. It is scheduled to begin Sept. 6.

http://www.philly.com/philly/n...-Court-decision.html

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Senator Joe Manchin of West Virginia became the first Democrat to announce he plans to vote to confirm Judge Gorsuch to the Supreme Court.

Shortly after his announcement, Senator Heidi Heitkamp of North Dakota also announced she would vote to confirm Gorsuch

http://hotair.com/archives/201...nfirm-judge-gorsuch/