SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone Else Here Just Can’t Get Into These Numerous Comic Book Superhero Movies?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone Else Here Just Can’t Get Into These Numerous Comic Book Superhero Movies? Login/Join 
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Hardly any good movies anymore.

These comic book movies are absolute retarded children’s movies. I roll my eyes at the grown men getting all excited like children and waiting in lines for hours to see these “movies”. What a joke.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I read the comic books as a kid and the only superhero movie I ever watched was Bathman.

Thought it sucked and never watched another one.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
I read the comic books as a kid and the only superhero movie I ever watched was Bathman.

I think you went to the wrong theater. Big Grin

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Even if you don’t like the genre as a whole, the Captain America movies are good.

Posts: 13743 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I watch them with the kiddos, they aren't bad. Some of the earlier Ironman and Captain America movies were pretty darn good. My tax write offs can tell you how all of the movies are intertwined with their stories, my eyes glaze over

Posts: 5320 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Ha, Bathman and Bobbin

quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:

I think you went to the wrong theater. Big Grin

Posts: 5320 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Not obsessed, never was a big Comic Book Kid but did partake on occasion.
Now I will watch some of the movies and TV series.
There is a market for this content especially if you were or are in to Comics.
Like I said I wasn't big into the Comics but still will watch some of this on occasion.

Posts: 22909 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I think to get something out of them you have to be a youthful reader of the comic books they are based on. When I was a kid we had Superman, Batman, etc., but nowadays the kids have many more comic book idols to follow, and the movies reflect that. I find the movies ridiculous, based on shallow premises, one-dimensional characterizations, and artificial conflicts. I will admit that I am not adverse to seeing Margo Robbie playing Harley Quinn for her looks and sheer sexuality, but that is about it.

Posts: 6474 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Mom said we couldn't afford comic books when I was growing up, so I read a little bit of Spider Man and The Fantastic Four from friends' collections. I never really got into the movie genre hype, though. Watched the first and/or second Spider Man and FF movies, but that was about it. I CERTAINLY didn't see the need to camp out in a line for a week before the movie opened to assure I was the first one in the theater to see any of the movies...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Each to his own. I read Mad Magazine as a kid, never comic books. I had an active fantasy life without superheroes or comic books. I have no interest in the movies.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It's mindless. They've taken comic book fantasies intended for nine year olds and turned them into an entire industry, to serve adults who, apparently, are still mentally nine years old.

Look at these preposterous movies- Transformers and the like. My God! It's all computer-generated mayhem, and the edits come so fast, it's like staring at a strobe light. And with each of these movies, they have to ramp that crap up further, since there's no substance to these films.

And now, the PC crowd has gotten hold of this "universe" (ick) and it's all about nothing but abnormality. That is the core of this "universe" now.

So, "get into it"?? Are you joking? The world would be a slightly better place if every last one of these movies, every last comic book, e-zine, graphic novel or Disney live Star Wars extravaganza vanished right now and never returned. All of it- dump it. It's utterly mindless crap.

And for those of you this offends, well, you're just going to have to be offended.

Posts: 107596 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t get it either, but about the only superheroes I knew were TV Batman (never interested in the movies) and the only comic books I remember reading were Richie Rich and The Archies (did kind of get into the first couple of seasons of Riverside.) Never got into fantasy like The Hobbit series or Lord of the Rings or Sci-Fi.

Posts: 401 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: February 27, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read a lot of comic books as a kid . Mainly at the barber shop waiting for my turn to get a haircut . My favorite was Sgt. Rock . Big Grin
The movies nowdays don't interest me .

Posts: 4057 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
It’s a cash cow requiring little imagination to create a plot. Fear not, the SJWs have moved in an will destroy the genre with PC pontificating. Hollywood is a cowardly degenerate.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29701 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Not for me. I have been present when a couple of them were being watched by family - just not interested in the least, would typically either read my Kindle or surf the web if something like that is on.

Another one that I don't get into at all - Star Wars. Saw the original in theater when I was a kid but never understood the hype. Never seen any of the additional movies in the series that were so ultra hyped.

Different strokes and all...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Eh... it depends. My wife and I liked most of the Marvel Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. series. We liked the original Thor and The Avengers movies. Liked most of the recent Batman movies. Other superhero stuff was just kind of meh for us. Could've definitely taken a miss on Wonder Woman. We hated The Boys on Amazon Prime.

Yup, most of the genre is pretty mindless entertainment.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogB:
It's generational. Some are so moronic that it's hard to believe anyone over 14 actually watches them.
When you have adults not leaving home until they're nearly thirty, I'd say that's a good indication of how our mollycoddling society full of helicopter parents has subverted the normal pace of maturing. So, we get 45 year old men arguing over electro-dude or if The Roach knows that arch-enemy Bubble Boy is his son.

I wish my father was here to give us his opinion on the subject. It'd be a hoot.

Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
I can honestly say I've never watched one but enjoyed how the genre was sent up in The Boys Big Grin

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Books- There's so much good literature out there. There's Hemnigway, Steinbeck, Faulkner, Twain. There's Kurt Vonnegut and Flannery O'Connor. There are scores of extensively researched, well-written accounts of historical events, covering all of American history and world history. You could spend a lifetime reading things worth reading and still not get through all of the prime stuff. Do not waste your time on puerile fantasies in comic books.

Film and television- the same applies. There is a whole other world in cinema- what we refer to as foreign films. Hollywood does not have a lock on creativity. Hell, what they had, they lost about three decades back.
There are hundreds of excellent films made in the 20th Century. Seek them out, and discover something substantive to occupy your mind.

Picture of JoseyWales2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
When you have adults not leaving home until they're nearly thirty, I'd say that's a good indication of how our mollycoddling society full of helicopter parents has subverted the normal pace of maturing.

Yep this is a big part of it right there. Add in all the LARPing and Comicon stuff too. There are a lot of people who are physically adults but have the mentally of children.

It's all mindless drivel for the most part. There's very few original ideas in Hollywood these days, either on tv or the movies. It's all remakes, prequels, sequels, "reality" tv.... add in all the CGI and fast editing. I'll pass.

----------------------------------
"These things you say we will have, we already have."
"That's true. I ain't promising you nothing extra."

Posts: 579 | Location: Missouri | Registered: October 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post