SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone Else Here Just Can’t Get Into These Numerous Comic Book Superhero Movies?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone Else Here Just Can’t Get Into These Numerous Comic Book Superhero Movies? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
A caveat here: I never read superhero comic books growing up, so maybe that has a lot to do with it.

Anyone else here find that they just cannot get into all these comic book superhero movies they keep pumping out?

My wife and I decided to start watching the first Avengers movie, and it really does nothing for me. They seem to spend more time fighting each other than fighting bad guys and it’s annoying.

I know these movies are hugely popular, but I find most of them silly and just not worth it.

I did like the original Batman movie back in 1989, and we both enjoyed the two Ant Man movies but they didn’t seem to take themselves too seriously like most of these movies do which is why I think I actually liked them.

Please tell me I’m not the only one?

Posts: 33810 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
To me, the only Batman is Adam West.

I can't get into any of this superhero stuff either either.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
I go see most of them but have always been disappointed by their portrayal of my favorite childhood characters.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
The Avengers movies are kind of a bad place to start. I would watch a few of the stand alone Marvel Cinematic Universe Movies first, so that they can introduce the individual characters to you before they appear in an ensemble movie like the Avengers.

Personally, I would watch them in production order starting with Iron Man. If you followed the production order, the Avengers wouldn't be up until the 4th or 5th movie depending if you skipped the 2008 Hulk.

If you like the light heartedness of Ant Man, you could skip ahead to the Guardians of the Galaxy.

If you like something dark and gritty, you can try out the Christian Bale Batmans starting with Batman Begins.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I've been a father since 1995. My youngest is currently 11 years old right now so I've been watching all the Marvel stuff since Iron Man as it's mostly fun family entertainment for me. It's something I can watch with my kid. Really, it't this generation's version of the old kung fu, ninja, and musclebound action movies of the 80's. Ninjas, Chuck Norris, Van Damme, Arnold and Sly are out and have been replaced by the superhero CGI genre.

When I'm by myself, then it's time for the gory guy movies.

If you want to understand the Marvel movies, I suggest watching them in timeline order (not release date) starting with Captain America and ending with Endgame. I just did this with the wife and it took us months to do this.

Marvel's phase 1, 2, and 3 were a mixed bag with some great movies and some graoners from time to time. For the most part, it was enjoyable, but they did it to capture the long time comic book audience and create a following that would be hard pressed to walk away when they went woke. Now that they have an established following, they're slipping in the woke stuff knowing we'll at least watch it in hopes that we see more of the early style of films.

I thoroughly enjoyed the legacy character movies all the way through endgame. Give Guardians of the Galaxy a watch. That movie is hilariously funny and enjoyable. It surprised me a lot. Captain America was also a very enjoyable movie in the series.

I have no good expectations for anything new coming out of Marvel.

As for DC, I have a hard time getting into those movies. They're darker than Marvel and can be a little depressing. I enjoyed the first two Christian Bale Batman movies, but the rest of the BM movies suck. The newest BM with the twilight dude is supposed to be the suckiest of them all. I highly doubt the movie will even break even.

Movies fall in and out of favor. For a while, we had a zombie craze and it has died out for the most part. People will eventually grow tired of superhero movies and something else will take it's place.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5398 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Eh, mostly mindless diversions. Usually only watch any of them in streaming form, but I don't go out of my way in doing so. Funny...I DID read comic books as a kid, and most of it was Marvel. But at an early age I discovered other diversional publications. And yeah some of them were of THAT genre......guns. Wink

-MG

Posts: 1993 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will watch a couple of the Batman flicks but the rest dont interest me at all.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16091 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
They are today what westerns once were…

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I find them enjoyable for the most part.

The culmination of ENDGAME has kind of left me feeling like I'm starting a new book and not as excited as before but still looking forward to new installments.

I don't wait outside in line for tickets, but I'll enjoy them when they come out.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I can’t get into them. I don’t really know why but I tried to watch a few. I liked the old Superman movies but all the new stuff annoys me and I really don’t know why.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12437 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I'm with you, I never got into comic books and I cannot get into any of these super here movies. Of course, I cannot get into the whole Star Wars or Star Trek thing either.

Posts: 4110 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
The whole Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU, its a thing) is beyond me. I like big stupid action movies (The Expendables, RED, Die Hard, Boondock Saints, etc) and some of the super hero stuff but the MCU thing is over the top.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 717 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup, same way, can’t get into them. The non-stop action gets tiresome.

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5160 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only one I enjoyed was the Punisher. No special powers, just dark and gritty violence.

Posts: 341 | Location: Bardstown, Ky | Registered: December 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Hollywood can’t write a script or stage a scene anymore that’s why you get so much of this comic book cgi garbage.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
Deadpool. I find it comical. That is it as comic's and movies go. Never read comic's as a kid. John.

Posts: 2876 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Marvel makes good, fun movies. There are a few stinkers in there (Black Panther and the Hulk stand-alones) but for the most part they're good entertainment. However, I've only seen one DC movie that wasn't completely horrible (Joker). The rest are trash, Batman included. I've given up on giving them another chance.

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Watched a few, but dumped them when they became silly, and the "wokeness" of them left a bad taste.

Posts: 17145 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
It's generational. Some are so moronic that it's hard to believe anyone over 14 actually watches them.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
If you liked the Antman movies, you'll like the Thor movies as well. Thor movies don't take themselves too seriously and there are a lot of good jokes in the series.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post