SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Amazon delivers threat to FedEx, UPS with surge in shipments
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amazon delivers threat to FedEx, UPS with surge in shipments Login/Join 
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted
I've seen a BUNCH of these Amazon delivery trucks around the last several weeks! Sounds like they're into the delivery business big-time now.

Amazon is taking a bite out of the U.S. package-delivery business long dominated by UPS and FedEx, companies so well-known that their brands became the industry's equivalent of "Googling" a topic on the internet.

As of August, the world’s largest online retailer was delivering 46 percent of U.S. packages bought on its online platform through Amazon Logistics, the company’s in-house shipping and delivery service, according to research by the investment bank Morgan Stanley.

The growth in Amazon Logistics "has been the most disruptive event within transportation in the last five years," Morgan Stanley said in the report. "The collateral impact of the disruption has been obvious, a sudden and significant loss of business at several parcel companies.”

The bank, which analyzed roughly 70,000 Amazon transactions from 300 U.S. shoppers over a nine-year period to measure the changes, noted that Logistics volume more than doubled from 20 percent of the company's shipments to 46 percent in past 12 months alone.

This exponential growth is driven by "Amazon's core e-commerce growth and the company moving a rising percentage of its business in-house," Morgan Stanley said.

Amazon Logistics now ships more than 2.5 billion packages a year in the U.S., while FedEx ships 3 billion and UPS delivers 4.7 billion, Morgan Stanley estimated. Amazon's deliveries will probably swell to 6.5 billion by 2022, for a cost of $10 a package, the analysts said. That represents a loss of $65 billion in revenue for UPS, FedEx and the U.S. Postal Service from Amazon's business, less if the company gets a discount.

Rival firms could lose as much as $35 billion more with the potential launch of Amazon's third-party service fulfilling orders from independent web companies that pay Amazon to handle time-consuming deliveries, Morgan Stanley said.

Overall, bank analysts predict Amazon Logistics will ship more U.S. packages than FedEx in 2020 and more than UPS in 2022.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/ma...fedex-ups-deliveries

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
... waiting until after the Christmas crush for delivery, expectations and commitments are done with.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Funny all the Amazon trucks disappeared from the FL Panhandle after they completely failed to deliver.

USPS and UPS took back over everything for them for the time being.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Anybody who supports a company that will put you out of business (or seriously hurt your business) is insane. All of these people looking at "what can we make today" are not thinking about "what they will loose in the future".

They should have told Amazon to pound sand from day one. Whoops.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15722 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amazon is getting third-tier drivers at best. I'd say they've got a long way to go.

UPS, FedEx and DHL know that their drivers are pivotal to their brand as they are not only the face of the brand but, the foundation to their operation. Uniform standards, cleanliness of the vehicles, timely and professional deliveries, all those elements built over decades resulting in handsome compensation and pensions. Amazon is throwing a lot of money to build their own system, all of the driver's they've hired I've seen are rejects from other brands, sloppy and shady appearances, questionable vehicles, poor parking and driving practices, then there's how they handle your order Roll Eyes

Posts: 14658 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Amazon is getting third-tier drivers at best. I'd say they've got a long way to go.

UPS, FedEx and DHL know that their drivers are pivotal to their brand as they are not only the face of the brand but, the foundation to their operation. Uniform standards, cleanliness of the vehicles, timely and professional deliveries, all those elements built over decades resulting in handsome compensation and pensions. Amazon is throwing a lot of money to build their own system, all of the driver's they've hired I've seen are rejects from other brands, sloppy and shady appearances, questionable vehicles, poor parking and driving practices, then there's how they handle your order Roll Eyes
Thats true and those 20,000 Sprinter vans purchased by Amazon were bought to resale to small fleet owners who already deliver for Amazon. Those drivers aren't exactly getting wealthy and the number of parcels they must deliver per day is a real ball buster. I would consider it cheap labor employment and a daunting days work each day.

Posts: 17903 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
then there's how they handle your order

Which is completely fine because the majority are only interested in the lowest price possible.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15722 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Amazon has a different model than UPS and FedEx in that Amazon doesn't pick packages up and can skip a few sorting stages.

Posts: 10972 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just an ACARS message
with feelings
Picture of qxsoup
posted Hide Post
Couple of things here...
Amazon only hauls their own stuff. UPS and FDX are in the BUSINESS of delivering packages, not Amazon. FDX has the MASSIVE USPS contract as well. UPS is going to be the real loser in this entire game for sure. DHL is mostly an international carrier of stuff. The US market for them is actually pretty small.

As far as the drivers go, I personally have had almost 100% of my Amazon orders delivered by there people and it has been top notch. The original drivers- the ones using their own vehicles like Uber were the problem.

Amazon has had tremendous growing pains getting their delivery network up and running, but it is paying off. Just wait a couple of more years when the air hub is finally up and running. NEXT DAY nationwide delivery anyone?

220/229/228/226/P6/225/XO/SP2022/239

Posts: 3063 | Location: The Queen City (the one in Ohio) | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Amazon only hauls their own stuff. UPS and FDX are in the BUSINESS of delivering packages, not Amazon.

You're thinking like the guys at UPS.

Amazon only sells stuff and has us deliver it. Until they see the upside of doing it themselves, and have now made enough money to do so.

Amazon only delivers their own product. Until they see the upside of expanding into other areas, and have now made enough money and infrastructure to do so.

Just watch.

www.zykansafe.com

Just an ACARS message
with feelings
Picture of qxsoup
posted Hide Post
TRUST ME... Amazon does NOT have the capacity to take on anything else.
Maybe a few years from now but not anytime soon.

quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:
Amazon only hauls their own stuff. UPS and FDX are in the BUSINESS of delivering packages, not Amazon.

You're thinking like the guys at UPS.

Amazon only sells stuff and has us deliver it. Until they see the upside of doing it themselves, and have now made enough money to do so.

Amazon only delivers their own product. Until they see the upside of expanding into other areas, and have now made enough money and infrastructure to do so.

Just watch.

220/229/228/226/P6/225/XO/SP2022/239

Posts: 3063 | Location: The Queen City (the one in Ohio) | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
My UPS and Fedex drivers have been great, the Amazon drivers here are terrible. Packages that just never show up. Drivers speeding down my residential street in oil leaking jalopies while blaring rap music.

Last week took the cake though. The amazon driver intentionally drove straight through my yard leaving deep ruts, knocking over a retaining wall, and driving over a 16” diameter stone boulder. This wasn’t just a tire barely off the pavement, this was the entire van driving off road. I have it all on video and just filed a property damage claim with Amazon logistics.

I have substantially decreased my amazon purchases because of their drivers. If you have problems with amazon drivers call and report it, if they have enough complaints they will use other carriers.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Things will get real interesting when Amazon gets the air side figured out. They've already broken into the segment with "Amazon Air", but of course they're not doing that themselves it's being outsourced to existing freight carriers. Problem is these carriers are lower tier companies with less than stellar employee relations, particularly in the pilot(s) department. Right now they don't have the capacity to expand due to a lack of crews, and won't until there are new union contracts that are able to attract and retain pilots. So far that doesn't look to be happening any time soon.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Besides the quality of their drivers, there's also the issue of there not being enough terminals to properly service regions. For the San Francisco Bay Area, Amazon has one terminal, which is located in Hayward. From that terminal, drivers get dispatched to areas that are literally hours away. The driver who provides service in my mother's area lives in Richmond, which is almost 30 miles north of Hayward. From there, he gets to drive 80 miles north again to Santa Rosa. Then he has to do all that in reverse at the end of the day.

No wonder why their drivers aren't all that conscientious about the way they deliver.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18025 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Amazon is all ate up right now, but give them 5 years and USPS / UPS will be REEELING...

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Besides the quality of their drivers, there's also the issue of there not being enough terminals to properly service regions. For the San Francisco Bay Area, Amazon has one terminal, which is located in Hayward. From that terminal, drivers get dispatched to areas that are literally hours away. The driver who provides service in my mother's area lives in Richmond, which is almost 30 miles north of Hayward. From there, he gets to drive 80 miles north again to Santa Rosa. Then he has to do all that in reverse at the end of the day.

No wonder why their drivers aren't all that conscientious about the way they deliver.

Confused sure? just one warehouse for the ENTIRE Bay Area...a region where half the population stares at a screen and brags about using the latest app?

I could've sworn there was a distro locations in SF, Brisbane (Peninsula), Richmond (East Bay & Marin) and Sunnyvale (South Bay).

Posts: 14658 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've seen good and bad from all of them. I deal with all of them daily. Amazon moving their own stuff with their own people is probably smart given the losses they take from using outside vendors like Ontrac on the west coast.

Posts: 4282 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I see a lot of bad reviews of Amazon drivers but I've had only good experiences. They knock and wait when it's raining so the package doesn't sit in the weather. They are friendly and professional. On the other hand, I watched a UPS driver throw a computer I ordered down the steps of the brown truck. FedEx have been good but in this area Amazon drivers are tops.

Posts: 45381 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, when does the Sherman Anti-Trust Act wake up?

I know Bezos has plenty of grease for the politicians to delay if not prevent this, from his grease machine, so when?

AWS, gives Amazon Retail a huge advantage over other retailers in terms of costs. Now add Amazon Delivery?

-.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.-
It only stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master.

Ayn Rand

"He gains votes ever and anew by taking money from everybody and giving it to a few, while explaining that every penny was extracted from the few to be giving to the many."

Ogden Nash from his poem - The Politician

Posts: 1687 | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Creepy trucks... and they're everywhere!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24137 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post