SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Amazon delivers threat to FedEx, UPS with surge in shipments
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amazon delivers threat to FedEx, UPS with surge in shipments Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
Anybody who supports a company that will put you out of business (or seriously hurt your business) is insane. All of these people looking at "what can we make today" are not thinking about "what they will loose in the future".

They should have told Amazon to pound sand from day one. Whoops.

Amazon fucked them,. USPS, UPS FedEx. Probably USPS worst. They all have negotiated cut rate deals with Amazon and planned for volume and small margins, without the volume and still on negotiated rates it is a recipe disaster.

As Amazon builds it's infrastructure up the shipments will slowly dwindle and other carriers will be left holding the bag for high capital expenditures and a large workforce they no longer need. All while taking the least profitable routes as Amazon builds it's infrastructure in the more cost effective higher density areas.

The really should have told them to pound sand. They've been used and will stick around keep Amazon's scraps because the alternative would be too painful.

Amazon for all it's benefits is a destructive force and will continue to eat the little guys (and the big ones too).

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21179 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett B:
I have substantially decreased my amazon purchases because of their drivers.

Same here. FedEx, UPS and USPS have always been relatively reliable for us. Amazon Logistics not so much.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
Almost every package from FedEx has been late this year and they just lost a few I was tracking from their system. I'm not sure what is going on, but they have been horrible.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Udo
posted Hide Post
Refuse to buy anything from Amazon. If they and their affiliates are the only source, I do without.I managed to do this without typing any of the bad words I would love to add.

Posts: 1762 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: January 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hate to bring up ancient history but this sounds like WalMart 25 years ago: everyone complaining about poor service, horrible working conditions, putting competitors out of business. WM added cheap Chinese products to the mix.

Unfortunately, the American public voted for all of the above and WM became a Goliath. Amazon is following the same theory and will probably have the same result. It sucks but it works.

Posts: 709 | Location: Rural W. MI | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live in Poe-Dunk NH and all my packages are being delivered by an Amazon truck/driver.

I watched this guy drive up and down my 1/2 mile dead-end road 4x one afternoon this week. When he pulled into my driveway - he was cursing Amazon Logistics and their routing system. I gave him a $15 Dunkins gift card and said "Merry Christmas". He had a blank stare on his face. I followed up with "I still have a lot of packages coming - don't forget this address" Big Grin

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I was on a flight late last year and the guy next to me worked for FedEx. He told me that Amazon was focused on not only being the prime retailer in the US, but also being the prime delivery service. They were focused on destroying UPS and FedEx. He was heading to a corporate meeting to discuss that topic.

He had finished a conversation just before the boarding door closed with a former college Frat brother who worked for UPS, he had just left a similar meeting discussing the same topic.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38293 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I suspect they will develop tiers of delivery. Some things they can deliver themselves cheaper while other items UPS and FedEx can Do it better and cheaper.

If they start shipping non-Amazon sales things will really get interesting.

Posts: 17944 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I heard about AMZN firing up it own delivery service a while ago. One of the main reasons given what that the other carriers didn't have the capacity to keep up with their growing volume, and the felt the need to have capacity of their own. That being the case, they're probably still moving a lot of volume through UPS, Fedex, USPS, etc..

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
I live in Poe-Dunk NH and all my packages are being delivered by an Amazon truck/driver.

Apparently I'm in an even more poe-dunky part of NH. Amazon is still burying our local post offices instead of expanding their delivery service up here to the woods.

ETA: Amazon just bought an old BJ's wholesale building in Hooksett. Don't know if its going to be delivered out of or not.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Blackmore,

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3645 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I buy about ZERO from Amazon. Don't care for the liberal owner so why support him?

I'd imagine as soon as he has all the other stores out of business he can then rise prices as high as he wishes, the same for delivery.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
I've seen regular looking vans delivering. Looked like the car services.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
We can't have it both ways. A free market will dictate who stays in business and who does not. Now, if you want the government to put it's nose into who wins and looses by passing laws that limit those companies that have the wherewithal to out spend, or out advertise their competitors than that's a whole different story. One that begs the liberal bias. If Amazon puts out a shitty product (service, they make very little product save Amazon Brands) it will lose. If the local guy can't figure out how to stay in business by being innovative it will lose.

Not fair you say? I shudder at the alternative.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SOTAR
posted Hide Post
quote:
the issue of there not being enough terminals to properly service regions. For the San Francisco Bay Area, Amazon has one terminal,

Amazon could take over Alameda and turn it into a large shipping and receiving hub. Heck, they could even directly import cargo from oversees by putting in their own port facility there.

Posts: 1039 | Location: portland, OR | Registered: October 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Haveme1or2:
I've seen regular looking vans delivering. Looked like the car services.

I have a kindle. It being an Amazon product, it lets me know when packages are 4 to 10 stops away if I happen to be using it.
I'll go into the driveway when I know any delivery is near.
So I get a message "6 stops away" and I go out after a bit to the road and it's a young lady in car w/ her dog delivering my package and I take it right from her window. Ok then. Whatever it takes.

Posts: 7500 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Haven't seen this in my area, only USPS, UPS and FedEx---all extremely professional.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by qxsoup:
Couple of things here...
Amazon only hauls their own stuff. UPS and FDX are in the BUSINESS of delivering packages, not Amazon. FDX has the MASSIVE USPS contract as well. UPS is going to be the real loser in this entire game for sure. DHL is mostly an international carrier of stuff. The US market for them is actually pretty small.

As far as the drivers go, I personally have had almost 100% of my Amazon orders delivered by there people and it has been top notch. The original drivers- the ones using their own vehicles like Uber were the problem.

Amazon has had tremendous growing pains getting their delivery network up and running, but it is paying off. Just wait a couple of more years when the air hub is finally up and running. NEXT DAY nationwide delivery anyone?

I’m with you. Here in Charlotte Amazon delivery has been spot on. They haven’t missed a single package and I get about 3-5 a week. There’s a distribution center off of 485. Lots of packages are coming next day as well. We also have prime now here that usually delivers stuff in 2 hours or so. Not a huge selection but still nice

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Its hit or miss but fairly regional.

In TX I had good luck w the Amazon logistics delivery

Moved to NC (served by Durham NC hub, and no coincidence that Durham is a shithole of liberal douchebaggery) and the wheels fell off. Problems w every third Amazon Logistics delivery.

Biggest example...was at work waiting for a package delivery around 5:15 PM...get an email "sorry we tried to deliver your package but no one was at the business"

Total BS. myself and two other people were still there, they didnt ring the doorbell and to top it off I had put instructions on the delivery info section "leave it on the shipping dock stairs" that were clearly ignored.

Called and reamed out their CS rep and their CS manager for 15 minutes as this was the fourth time in a month something like this happened. Told them not to EVER use Amazon deliver people on my account, UPS or USPS only.

quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Funny all the Amazon trucks disappeared from the FL Panhandle after they completely failed to deliver.

USPS and UPS took back over everything for them for the time being.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not many stores in my new locale. The choice seems to be Amazon or the foul, stinking zombies shuffling thru Wal-Mart (the customers are even worse.)

Posts: 17266 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SOTAR:
quote:
the issue of there not being enough terminals to properly service regions. For the San Francisco Bay Area, Amazon has one terminal,

Amazon could take over Alameda and turn it into a large shipping and receiving hub. Heck, they could even directly import cargo from oversees by putting in their own port facility there.

The area that used to be Alameda NAS could be converted to fulfill that need, there's a handful of piers that are leased to the USN's MSC ships and USS Hornet Museum. The hang-up would be trucking traffic and routing. Long Beach Naval Shipyard, after it was closed, was scrapped-off the face of the earth, and was absorbed into the existing Port of Long Beach container terminal. Zero evidence that there was ever dry-docks, large cranes or, any other industrial facilities. Endless stretches of concrete. Amazon has a warehouse behind the San Leandro Costco, I don't believe it's for home deliveries though, maybe a fulfillment center.

Posts: 15109 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post