SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Amazon delivers threat to FedEx, UPS with surge in shipments
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amazon delivers threat to FedEx, UPS with surge in shipments Login/Join 
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
He's taking about other companies. A lot sell through Amazon, but if an affiliate does a lot of business through Amazon's platform, Amazon will know it, and will cut them out and sell whatever it is themselves.

I have to wonder if this works the same way on AWS. If AWS sees a site getting a lot of traffic, will Amazon look at the business the site it doing, clone it, and cut the original company out of the picture?

quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:
Everyone else should be wary..... don't drop your soap.

A lot of people are willing to drop that soap so long as they can buy it for less.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
He's taking about other companies. A lot sell through Amazon, but if an affiliate does a lot of business through Amazon's platform, Amazon will know it, and will cut them out and sell whatever it is themselves.

Walmart is no different in this regard. One of my sisters worked for a local attorney who owned a small company that manufactured emergency spill clean up kits. You'll see these in big box stores all over the place for the store to use should something liquid leak.

One of the items in that kit was a rubber "broom". At some point Walmart noticed these and thought they could sell them to the public. They contacted the attorney, worked out a deal, and he started making them for retail sale.

At some point Walmart demanded a much lower price, he refused, and they then sourced them through a Chinese manufacturer. He had a patent on them, and reminded Walmart that he was an attorney.

Walmart: "Ok. Sue us".

Well that's another benefit of consolidating all of this power into individual companies like these. You don't have the resources to combat them even when you're right. You'll take what they give you and thank them, otherwise you'll get nothing at all. They may even put you out of business as a going away present.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15877 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello folks!

I'm not talking about selling on Amazon, I'm talking about giving them access to ANYTHING you're involved in that produces capital.

Got an invention? Amazon representatives will try and buy it off you for pennies on the dollar - literally. Own a business? Amazon will try and get it away from you if it'll cut their costs or bring in income. What ticks me off is that they talk to you like you're a complete moron.

Personally, one of my hobbies is writing adaptive algorithms and crude neural nets for use in the financial markets. I (stupidly) talked to an Amazon employee I met casually about my hobby. They wanted IN and spoke to me like I was just supposed to GIVE it to them.

I'm sure they go after people who sell on their site but I'm talking about safeguarding ANYTHING you're doing that could potentially (or actually) produce capital.

Amazon is following a common business tactic for many start ups. You begin with something that will keep you afloat while you (feverishly) look for something else that will put you over the top.

Books> online retail> web services (big money maker)> .... outer space.

V.

Posts: 328 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: April 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amazon will run into the same problem all major carriers are having. It's hard to hire competent people to do jobs where they have to actually do physical labor.

Posts: 1186 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post