SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    In need of windshield wipers
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

In need of windshield wipers Login/Join 
posted
OK, the Tundra is in need of new wipers. I mistakenly asked a friend which brand or, makes he likes and predictably, he went into a long dissertation about beam construction versus basic constructed wipers... Roll Eyes

SO, taping into the wealth of knowledge, is there a difference amongst the various builds and brands? I've gotten expense Bosch blades in the past; Rain-X & Anco is all over the auto-parts stores..I just want no chatter and a clean sweep.

Posts: 14682 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Bosch Icons, good stuff.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6220 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
OK, the Tundra is in need of new wipers. I mistakenly asked a friend which brand or, makes he likes and predictably, he went into a long dissertation about beam construction versus basic constructed wipers... Roll Eyes

SO, taping into the wealth of knowledge, is there a difference amongst the various builds and brands?

Go cheap, replace often.

My opinion is that a fresh set of wipers once or even twice a year outperforms the more expensive wipers that get left on for 2 years at a time.

I typically just replace the insert for like $10 a pair.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I put on my VW. Was not impressed. Got grooved and streaky pretty quickly.

I bought what I though were POS Goodyears from Costco previously. They held up better.

quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
Bosch Icons, good stuff.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
^^ This is my experience too.
New blades are superior to better blades.

Posts: 9536 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bosch Icon or the Rain x upper priced ones are very good. I change mine out once a year. Also Rain x'ing the windshield helps tremendously for a clean swipe.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
Bosch Icons, good stuff.

Have these on our Flex, excellent in heavy rain.
Will likely do them on the F150 once I go through the freebies.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15365 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
I didn't have much luck with Bosch Icon wipers on my Tacoma, they chattered like the dickens. I have gotten good use out of the Rain-X wipers on my Camry. I thoroughly clean my windshield with Invisible Glass cleaner and it really seems to give me a clean swipe with no chatter. I've heard a clay bar helps maintain a smooth chatter free surface too but have not tried.

Posts: 2834 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Mid priced wiper blades work fine, I do prefer the blade type. I use the Rain-x treatment, the kind you put in the windshield washer reservoir.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rai...id-Additive/16889023

It keeps the windshield slick, don't even need wipers in a drizzle, it beads off

Posts: 5346 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bosch Icons work the best on my Audi, Gary. Smile

Posts: 493 | Location: wa | Registered: October 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Go cheap, replace often.

My opinion is that a fresh set of wipers once or even twice a year outperforms the more expensive wipers that get left on for 2 years at a time.

I typically just replace the insert for like $10 a pair.

I was leaning towards that philosophy, which goes against my 'buy once, cry once' / 'Buy good, invest better' leanings.

I had a set of the Rain-X blades on my Silverado years ago and they accumulated so much snow in the winter time during trips up Tahoe, that it was comical. The Bosch blades I liked but, I do remember after a year of use, if the rain wasn't heavy, just the West Coast marine layer drizzle, they'd chatter across.

Posts: 14682 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bosch is the best I've used.

Posts: 1081 | Location: Tidewater Virginia | Registered: January 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost Allman Brother
Picture of S600MBUSA
posted Hide Post
Bosch Icon work well for me

-Winston Churchill, writing of the Pashtun

Posts: 3989 | Location: Holly Springs/Canton, GA | Registered: November 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
On my pathfinder I use Bosch Icons, and replace every 6 months.

On my Chevy Express, the Icons don't work as well, so I use Walmart Hybrid blades, and replace every 3.

I drive quite a bit, and deal with salt spray in the winter, and heavy bugs in the summer, so I'm a bit hard on wipers.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3356 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Bosch Icons on all my vehicles.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I buy my wiper blades at Costco, made by Goodyear when they go on sale. A few times a year they will have a buy 1 and get 1 free. All 4 of our vehicles take 22" but 2 of the vehicles also take a 26". I'll buy what they allow and have my wife use her card and buy more if needed.
If you look at all the manufacturers, they all recommend you replace them every 6 months. Maybe some states that get a lot of UV might need this replacement every 6 months but I doubt it.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4016 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Bosch Icons with Rain-X

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cheap blades, 2 or 3 times a year.

Posts: 17147 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
orareyougladtoseeme
Picture of isthatasiginyourpocket
posted Hide Post
I usually get Icons but I couldn't find any for my truck so I went with the high end Rain-X blades. They work great with the Rain-X washer fluid.

Posts: 2547 | Location: MN | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bosch

Posts: 2560 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post