SIGforum
In need of windshield wipers

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/5150097024

March 10, 2017, 12:24 PM
corsair
In need of windshield wipers
OK, the Tundra is in need of new wipers. I mistakenly asked a friend which brand or, makes he likes and predictably, he went into a long dissertation about beam construction versus basic constructed wipers... Roll Eyes

SO, taping into the wealth of knowledge, is there a difference amongst the various builds and brands? I've gotten expense Bosch blades in the past; Rain-X & Anco is all over the auto-parts stores..I just want no chatter and a clean sweep.
March 10, 2017, 12:25 PM
stoic-one
Bosch Icons, good stuff.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/
March 10, 2017, 12:27 PM
Aeteocles
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
OK, the Tundra is in need of new wipers. I mistakenly asked a friend which brand or, makes he likes and predictably, he went into a long dissertation about beam construction versus basic constructed wipers... Roll Eyes

SO, taping into the wealth of knowledge, is there a difference amongst the various builds and brands?

Go cheap, replace often.

My opinion is that a fresh set of wipers once or even twice a year outperforms the more expensive wipers that get left on for 2 years at a time.

I typically just replace the insert for like $10 a pair.
March 10, 2017, 12:30 PM
BBMW
I put on my VW. Was not impressed. Got grooved and streaky pretty quickly.

I bought what I though were POS Goodyears from Costco previously. They held up better.

quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
Bosch Icons, good stuff.

March 10, 2017, 12:31 PM
220-9er
^^ This is my experience too.
New blades are superior to better blades.

March 10, 2017, 12:38 PM
jimmy123x
Bosch Icon or the Rain x upper priced ones are very good. I change mine out once a year. Also Rain x'ing the windshield helps tremendously for a clean swipe.
March 10, 2017, 12:40 PM
P250UA5
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
Bosch Icons, good stuff.

Have these on our Flex, excellent in heavy rain.
Will likely do them on the F150 once I go through the freebies.

The Enemy's gate is down.
March 10, 2017, 12:45 PM
mutedblade
I didn't have much luck with Bosch Icon wipers on my Tacoma, they chattered like the dickens. I have gotten good use out of the Rain-X wipers on my Camry. I thoroughly clean my windshield with Invisible Glass cleaner and it really seems to give me a clean swipe with no chatter. I've heard a clay bar helps maintain a smooth chatter free surface too but have not tried.

March 10, 2017, 12:46 PM
BigSwede
Mid priced wiper blades work fine, I do prefer the blade type. I use the Rain-x treatment, the kind you put in the windshield washer reservoir.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rai...id-Additive/16889023

It keeps the windshield slick, don't even need wipers in a drizzle, it beads off

March 10, 2017, 12:48 PM
gt52842
Bosch Icons work the best on my Audi, Gary. Smile
March 10, 2017, 12:50 PM
corsair
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Go cheap, replace often.

My opinion is that a fresh set of wipers once or even twice a year outperforms the more expensive wipers that get left on for 2 years at a time.

I typically just replace the insert for like $10 a pair.

I was leaning towards that philosophy, which goes against my 'buy once, cry once' / 'Buy good, invest better' leanings.

I had a set of the Rain-X blades on my Silverado years ago and they accumulated so much snow in the winter time during trips up Tahoe, that it was comical. The Bosch blades I liked but, I do remember after a year of use, if the rain wasn't heavy, just the West Coast marine layer drizzle, they'd chatter across.
March 10, 2017, 12:54 PM
uptime
Bosch is the best I've used.
March 10, 2017, 01:38 PM
S600MBUSA
Bosch Icon work well for me

-Winston Churchill, writing of the Pashtun
March 10, 2017, 01:49 PM
Gibb
On my pathfinder I use Bosch Icons, and replace every 6 months.

On my Chevy Express, the Icons don't work as well, so I use Walmart Hybrid blades, and replace every 3.

I drive quite a bit, and deal with salt spray in the winter, and heavy bugs in the summer, so I'm a bit hard on wipers.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.
March 10, 2017, 02:08 PM
bigdeal
Bosch Icons on all my vehicles.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter
March 10, 2017, 03:07 PM
rtquig
I buy my wiper blades at Costco, made by Goodyear when they go on sale. A few times a year they will have a buy 1 and get 1 free. All 4 of our vehicles take 22" but 2 of the vehicles also take a 26". I'll buy what they allow and have my wife use her card and buy more if needed.
If you look at all the manufacturers, they all recommend you replace them every 6 months. Maybe some states that get a lot of UV might need this replacement every 6 months but I doubt it.

Living the Dream
March 10, 2017, 03:43 PM
LS1 GTO
Bosch Icons with Rain-X

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

March 10, 2017, 03:45 PM
Fredward
Cheap blades, 2 or 3 times a year.
March 10, 2017, 04:04 PM
isthatasiginyourpocket
I usually get Icons but I couldn't find any for my truck so I went with the high end Rain-X blades. They work great with the Rain-X washer fluid.
March 10, 2017, 05:01 PM
NK402
Bosch