SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If you alone could enact one law, what would it be?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you alone could enact one law, what would it be? Login/Join 
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by STS:
No more withholding, everybody writes a check to the IRS in April.

LOL, that's how the tax system started out. Exemptions were high enough most people didn't have to file. Yet folks never seemed to find the money for taxes.

So, are you really saying no income tax at all?

quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
If your check bounces, off to prison you go.

We'll need to build a lot of prisons.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I'm sure I could think of something more important, but one on the list would be --- Cars would be required to use actual winter treads in the snow belt. And all season tires would be required to be labeled Many-Temperature tires with a warning, "not to be used for good traction in the snow".

Posts: 11389 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cookster:
All good one’s so far!

My first choice would be terms limits and to eliminate congress-to-lobbyist career paths.

How about -

* No add-on PORK to spending bills

* National concealed carry reciprocity

Yes this. You must title your bill and if there's anything in it that doesn't fit the title (purpose) then it never gets to the floor. Covid relief okay, but no line items sending cash to other pet causes. Put in separate bills for that foolishness and let's see how they walk.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I would repeal the NFA and force states like California and its many wannabe clones to allow their residents to fully and freely exercise their right to keep and bear arms without ANY OF THEIR silly and stupid state restrictions.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21109 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cookster:

* National concealed carry reciprocity

Right here.

If it's good enough for retired cops who haven't fired a weapon in 10 years, it's good enough for you and me.

Make it so or repeal LEOSA.

And...group texting should be a felony, punishable by life imprisonment or public flogging. Either way is good.

Posts: 20108 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
If your net tax burden is less than $1000, you aren’t allowed to vote. Only exception is retirees that paid in their whole lives.

Posts: 13743 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
term limits for everyone.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:

No mail in ballots except for Military serving overseas.
How about people with health / medical problems?

Non-military working on temporary projects out of the country?

There are actually a lot of good reasons for mail-in ballots, but the abuse needs to be brought under control.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Repeal the Westfall Act , which carves out immunities for government officials when it comes to “libel, slander, misrepresentation” as well as “deceit.” Congress needs to enact a judicial remedy for any person defamed by an official of the federal government speaking or writing to the public. Just imagine that..

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxdog:

as my wife says that I am pretty much impaired both mentally and physically by age.

Ignore her, they all say that.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I would require a special license for driving a high-performance vehicle. You'd need to take a special class, then pass a skill and safety test, and of course "high-performance vehicle" needs to be defined.

The point is there's too many self-described speed racers out there with more torque than brains. I know this from personal experience.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16357 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
All lawmakers and Congress in particular WILL abide by any and all laws they pass with penalties doubled for them if they disobey them.

That right there will straighten things out right now!

No insider trading, no long drawn out tax puzzles, and just about anything else they hold sway over.

Secondary wish -

The Constitution and all it entails WILL be enforced, as written with NO "interpretations".

Get a Webster's Dictionary if you are unclear on any subtleties within it, that's why Webster wrote the damn thing!

Posts: 2832 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
All shopping carts MUST be returned to the cart corral or to the store.

Offenders will get ONE warning when caught, after that your ass is going to Gitmo.

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Was that you
or the dog?
Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
posted Hide Post
No legal representation may be based on a contingency. Legal fees for litigation must bill at an established minimum that starts with the first hour.

If you initiate a legal proceeding and lose you must make the other party whole.

Posts: 1634 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
That for every new law enacted, multiple existing laws must be eliminated.

This would ensure that only the most important laws are passed while eliminating much of our current legal clutter.
Wow I love that one. Our government is already way too massive.

I would get rid of lobbyists of any kind.

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
The best ones have been mentioned but I'd make a flat tax and the return would fit on one side of a postcard.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any tax paying, law abiding citizen that could currently pass a NICS check can own anything Uncle Sam could. Automatics, grenade launchers, claymores, Abrams M1A2 SEP...if you have the money and find a lawful seller, go for it.

Evaluating volume of fire vs. shot placement effectiveness.

Posts: 669 | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
English is THE official language of the U.S.A. Of course, provided classes and online course, and very limited accomodations for those here legally until they do, but that's it.

Posts: 3537 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congress must pass a budget before it is allowed to do anything else. No other laws, no recess. If you can’t perform your most basic function you don’t get to do more advanced stuff.

Posts: 995 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
It will be illegal to put ketchup on a hot dog.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post