SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If you alone could enact one law, what would it be?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you alone could enact one law, what would it be? Login/Join 
Picture of GarandGuy
posted
Purely hypothetical and supposing you had the power and authority to pass a law alone, what would that ONE law be?

I’ll go first.

My one law would be all elected politicians limited to two four year terms. That’s local, state and national. If it was good enough for General Washington then it’s good enough for every other man or woman.

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1074 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
That would solve a lot of problems in our country.

I’d propose no financial aid to foreign countries and no aid to those here who are unwilling to work.

Posts: 13117 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Valid voter ID / registration.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Ban drug advertisements. Cutesy bullshit contrived names, the laundry lists of side effects, some of which are worse than the ailment being treated, all of it.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
All new bills must be written in plain language and fit on one page, along with that all bills must be voted on individually

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11285 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
That would solve a lot of problems in our country.

I’d propose no financial aid to foreign countries and no aid to those here who are unwilling to work.

Great idea, and that should only be material and goods made in America, There should be a big US flag prominently printed on the goods so people have no doubt where it came from.

Here, they should create CCC type projects and actually work for that check. Preferably creating something of value to the public. Infrastructure improvements, OK but not just hand out cash.

https://www.history.com/topics...n-conservation-corps

Posts: 9516 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Make me Grand Emperor of the USA. After that I could fix anything I wanted Big Grin

It'd be wise to invest in trebuchet manufacturers because that is my solution for several problems. For example:
  • Fling a few Hollyweirdos into Canada, Mexico, and Cuba and I bet the rest shut their pieholes about hating this country.
  • Illegal border crossings would dry up after a few are flung back in general direction of where they came.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Age Quod Agis
    Picture of ArtieS
    posted Hide Post
    A 66% threshold for any law, state or federal.

If you can't convince 2/3 of the population that something is a good idea, maybe you should rethink your plans.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12780 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    safe & sound
    Picture of a1abdj
    posted Hide Post
    That for every new law enacted, multiple existing laws must be eliminated.

This would ensure that only the most important laws are passed while eliminating much of our current legal clutter.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15719 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    1) Elected officials would have to read and understand any bill they write, support or vote on.

2) They'd have to submit to a "Prime Minister's Question Time" like question and answer period (session) prior to any vote.

https://www.parliament.uk/busi...ministers-questions/

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13401 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Here is a dirty little secret that most people who are familiar with the issue know about. It would solve the Illegal alien problem almost over night. Require E-verify for all new hires. Increase oversight of employers to verify that they are all actually using it, with tough penalties for those employers who aren't using it. You don't pass, you don't get hired.

You could require E-verify for all employees who were hired without it, but that would be a very big task that I doubt would get the needed support. But it could be done for new hires.

Just an aside, if anyone tells you that this would result in people not getting hired who are in fact here lawfully (or even born here), I call bull shit. Worked with it for years. Some employers already use it. Problems are very rare, but if they occur, never had a problem resolving it in short order.

Posts: 1053 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    quarter MOA visionary
    Picture of smschulz
    posted Hide Post
    I'd add Conservatives to the endangered species list aka protected class.

Posts: 22910 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Jerry Pournelle recommended changes to greatly increase scientific research so the US could pull significantly ahead. I always liked that idea.

1) 10% of all federal and state taxes to be dedicated to scientific research.

Posts: 2368 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
    posted Hide Post
    All politicians are subject to the laws passed. If congress had to live under obummercare it would have never been passed.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
    -Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3852 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Three Generations
    of Service
    Picture of PHPaul
    posted Hide Post
    Well hell, all my ideas are already represented in one form or another.

Too bad we don't run the country.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15234 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Robo-calls attempted fraud will be a capital crime with international extradition.

Actually now that I look after my elderly mom's finances, it is shameful how many "organizations", "charities", and "sweepstakes" prey on the elderly to give up all the money they saved for their entire lives. Short of declaring them incompetent and putting them in a bubble with no phone or mail service, it is damn near impossible to protect them.

Just the other day she called from the bank because she was trying to get a money order for $18 to pay a hairdresser. I'm like WTF does a hairdresser need a money order? You get money orders at the post office, not the bank. Banks are for cashier's checks and they usually cost a decent sized fee. "To send in the proceeds because they can't take cash" Proceeds for what? Legal tender good for all debts public and private and so on...

I told her (again) she is not to go to the bank for any reason, she is to call me and I will take care of it, whatever it is. I have the checkbook, bankcard, and handle all the accounts as a trustee of her trust, and give her cash as she needs it. But since it is a social security trust, she is a trustee and theoretically she could still walk into the bank, drain the account for whatever reason, and they can't legally stop her. Only way to do that is declare incompetence which is a big hurdle and not a direction any lawyer wants to go with her as of now. We have set things up so it is clear that I am handling things (my name only on checks for example) and perhaps the branch would call me if something seemed wrong, but legally they cannot stop her.

The degree of elder abuse and fraud is truly mind boggling and those who engage in it should be shot.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Ammoholic
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by a1abdj:
    That for every new law enacted, multiple existing laws must be eliminated.

This would ensure that only the most important laws are passed while eliminating much of our current legal clutter.

This! Also, any law must be written in plain English understandable by anyone with an eighth grade education, and must be. *one* law, not some omnibus bucket of horse crud. If it isn’t good enough to stand on its own, we don’t need it. However, when counting laws to be removed, omnibus buckets of horse crud are counted as one law. Hey, they were passed as one law, they only count as one when removed.

On the other hand, does banning the BATFE and repealing the NFA (including all mods over the years) count as one law? That could be tempting...

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Cancel Cancel Culture. That would solve some major problems.

Posts: 7559 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Too old of a Cat,
    to be licked by a Kitten
    Picture of Klusk2
    posted Hide Post
    Term limits for all political offices, regardless of position.

The Working Police.....
    "We the willing, led by the unknown, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful."

Posts: 2514 | Location: "Mag"azine Mile | Registered: February 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    All good one’s so far!

My first choice would be terms limits and to eliminate congress-to-lobbyist career paths.

How about -

* No add-on PORK to spending bills

* National concealed carry reciprocity

Posts: 3480 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post