SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If you alone could enact one law, what would it be?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you alone could enact one law, what would it be? Login/Join 
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GarandGuy:
Purely hypothetical and supposing you had the power and authority to pass a law alone, what would that ONE law be?

I’ll go first.

My one law would be all elected politicians limited to two four year terms. That’s local, state and national. If it was good enough for General Washington then it’s good enough for every other man or woman.

Your plan is almost identical to mine. My law would be no more than 2 6 year senate terms, nor more than 4 2 year house terms, nor more than 2 4 year Presidential terms. And if one has served any amount of time in the senate or house than their allotted number of terms in the other house would be cut in half, so for example if a house member got elected to the senate then they would only get one 6 year term instead of 2. I truly believe that term limits are one of the only ways that we will save our country.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5578 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Foreign Aid, membership in the UN and WHO is now illegal.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16094 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
I agree. A law should fit on one page.

I suspect the reason these bills are so long are all the loopholes they have to include. If your law needs loopholes to get passed, it'a probably not a very good law.

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Raise the voting age to 40 with required ID.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Your total of public assistance is limited to the total of income taxes you've paid in. Lifetime.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Joking (sort of): Mandatory sterilization, with an IQ test, parenting classes, credit check, employment verification, and psych evaluation to receive the antidote.

Serious, but already mentioned: All laws/bills/acts must be brief, must address only one issue, and must be written in plain language. No unrelated riders/fluff/pork, unexpected additions buried on page 937, etc.

Serious, but not already mentioned: Mandatory public service to receive full citizenship. One must complete a several year period of military service/civil works/community service/etc. before being eligible to vote, run for office, or the like.

Posts: 32512 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Balanced budget amendment to the Constitution. Perhaps with an emergency clause for a Congressional declaration of war etc.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Voter ID. No mail in ballots except for Military serving overseas. ALL ballots numbered.

Term limits for all Politicians in America.

Foreign aid to only their people, not to some "Strong man", "General for life" or other Bullshit Dictator to line his pockets.

Mandatory work programs for those on welfare who are able to work. Picking up trash is a good start.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No more withholding, everybody writes a check to the IRS in April.

Posts: 594 | Registered: November 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by STS:
If your check bounces, off to prison you go.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steyn
posted Hide Post
Voting age raised to 30 years old.

Posts: 389 | Registered: October 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by STS:

Since I retired, I do that each year. I pay a small penalty for not giving IRS quarterly payments, but IRS gets their money when I send it.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Require that all commercials on TV and radio volume be reduced by 50% then cut it in half again...

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Roadside courts for tailgaters. Conviction results in summary execution.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would create a law that provides mandatory penalties for politicians that violate the Constitution either thru their actions or policy making.
For example, if a politician submits a bill that is contrary to the Constitution, he loses his office and pension and can never be re-elected.

Posts: 114 | Registered: August 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GarandGuy
posted Hide Post
Lots of good stuff in here I like what I'm reading.

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1074 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I would eliminate most government agencies and strip the remainder of rule making authority.

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth.
You murder someone, and it’s proven without a doubt, goodbye immediately.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Either one of these:

Politicians would have to put their money into an investment trust and not allowed control of any funds. They could be prosecuted for any insider trading and lose their entire holdings and office for a violation.

Anyone driving under the speed limit in the passing lane or on a two lane road shall be penalized. Assuming the violator is not impaired by age, infirmity or substance, they shall be declared a dangerous antisocial narcissist and hung from the nearest lamp post on the roadside.

Those who are impaired shall be subject to current laws.

Notice that I left a possible loophole for those that are impaired by age or infirmity as my wife says that I am pretty much impaired both mentally and physically by age.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
Every elected official must prepare their own tax return. No hiring CPAs or other advisors.

Tax simplification will happen overnight.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post