Member
| I wish them nothing but financial pain and failure, but the reality is that other than maybe a few shotguns and some ammo, they never really sold much of what is flying off the shelves now, which is primarily self-defense handguns and rifles. |
| | |
Freethinker

| I’m not defending Dick’s, but if anyone there could have predicted the future well enough to know what was going to happen with gun sales months before it happened, I believe that making money from them would have been among the least profitable things they could have done to capitalize on that knowledge. I actually made the right timing decision about a number of guns I have sold over the past several months, but only because of my concerns about what is still in the future, not what has transpired thus far.
“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” — Plato |
| | | Posts: 49972 | Location: 10,160 Feet Above Sea Level in Commirado | Registered: April 04, 2002 |  
IP
|
|
Member

| |
| | |
Character, above all else

| quote:
The details: In 2026 they closed 3 Dick's locations and 110 Foot Locker locations. They also opened 4 new Dick's and 27 Foot Lockers. (Foot Locker was acquired in 2025). Their stock did decline more than 30% on Aug 25th after posting weaker earnings results and lower outlook, mostly attributed to business challenges with Foot Locker. I still don't ever consider going to Dick's for anything. Why would I when I have numerous Academy locations in the area? I've now added Foot Locker to my "Avoid" list as well.
"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy." |
| | | Posts: 2684 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008 |  
IP
|
|
Member
| The local on is always empty, not sure how they stay in business
"Dyin ain't much of a livin...boy"
|
| | | Posts: 452 | Location: West (By GOD) Virginia | Registered: November 07, 2011 |  
IP
|
|
Member

| There is a local Dicks. Never been to it. And had no interest in even checking it out once they announced their attitudes. I still don't know what it looks like inside and what they sell.
"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy "A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book |
| | | Posts: 15150 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007 |  
IP
|
|
Member

| The only one I'm aware of is attached to the local mall. I think I've been in once, wasn't overly impressed. As Tailhook posted above, I'd rather go to Academy.
The Enemy's gate is down. |
| | |
Age Quod Agis

| I wish Dicks was a better store. Academy had good ammo prices, but is forever away from me, as is the Orlando Bass Pro. None of the local outlets that stock gun stuff have reasonable pricing on ammo, and the Florida Gun Show has gone to shit. Walmart used to be pretty good, but they have really let their gun business go to hell.
"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."
Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II. |
| | | Posts: 13701 | Location: Florida, Northwest of the Mouse | Registered: November 02, 2008 |  
IP
|
|
אַרְיֵה

| quote: Originally posted by ArtieS:
the Florida Gun Show has gone to shit.
No surprise there. Florida Gun Show was much better before Shoot Straight bought it.
הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים |
| | | Posts: 33816 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010 |  
IP
|
|
Member
| Not a surprise, Dicks has been stepping on themselves for the last decade now. By purging their firearms business after the Parkland and Sandy Hook school shootings, Dicks tried to rebrand their Field & Stream locations into an outdoor specialty store called Public Lands in an attempt to compete with REI...and to virtue signal everyone else.  Since then they've stubbed their toes with various acquisitions in an attempt to but their way into different markets and always with poor results. |
| | | Posts: 16238 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000 |  
IP
|
|
Member
| Nothing bad enough can happen to Dick's as far as I am concerned. I hope they go bankrupt and disappear. Soon. |
| | |
So let it be written, so let it be done...

| quote: Originally posted by Ronin101: Do they still sell regular guns. The one here quit selling all hunting itms.
True for all of them - they no longer sell anything firearm related - except perhaps clothing. They seem to have become a sports gear (volleyball's, cleats, Lacrosse sticks, etc) and clothing only store.
'veritas non verba magistri' |
| | | Posts: 4272 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007 |  
IP
|
|
Member
| They sell nothing gun related in my area. |
| | |
Money won is sweeter than money earned

| You could not pay me to step foot into a Dick's!!
_________________________
Einstein defines insanity as "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"
|
| | |
Member
| They put a Field and Stream in right next to a Dicks about 12 years ago. It only lasted about 6 years.
No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain
|
| | |