SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Christmas fruit cake
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Christmas fruit cake Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
Every year my brother and SiL send me a Collin Street Bakery fruit cake. I received it yesterday.

http://collinstreet.com/regula...YEAQYASABEgLKS_D_BwE

Some folks disparage fruit cake, but the Texas-baked Collin Street version is darned tasty IMO. Especially when moistened with good bourbon!

I have to watch my weight closely and never eat sweet deserts – except while this once-a-year treat lasts.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8958 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Those are nice cakes. Enjoy it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just picked up a Christmas Fruitcake from Collin Street Bakery at Safeway this morning. Browsing the other Christmas Food Thread peaked my interest and I was going to order one. It was the same price and no shipping.

This other thread "Recommend holiday treat or specialty food" has helped round out my shopping list.
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/7000082774

This message has been edited. Last edited by: braillediver,

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13401 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back in the '70s my dad would order a Collins Street Bakery fruitcake every year at Christmas. I recall them being very tasty. When we were preparing for an auction at the farm house this past summer, after Dad was gone and Mom was in the nursing home, we found well over a dozen of the empty tin containers, so evidently he had continued to buy them for many years.

I typically travel to Waco, TX on business 4 or 5 times a year, and they have a Collins Street outlet. I have never stopped, but may have to do so on the next trip, if we ever get past the travel restrictions.

Posts: 312 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We just ordered two of the Collin Street Bakery fruit cakes early this week and they arrived Fedex yesterday. We've had them for many years and they are always great.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
Check out Alton Browns fruitcake recipe. It is fantastic.

Not cheap to make by any means and you needed to start about 6 weeks ago to be ready for Christmas. I like to age mine for about 4 weeks and it takes a week or 2 to get some of the ingredients

Properly made fruit cake is a great short term survival food...

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Love me some fruit cake. In 1969 while stationed in Korea my mother sent a Christmas fruit cake but got lost in mail and did not arrive till after the end of January. Yep it was dry and almost stale but one of the best that I ever had. And yes we all shared when the care packages came from home..Even the very stale popcorn used for packing material.. How many of you have heard the stories of fruit cakes that have been passed around families for generations ?? ................. drill sgt.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: drill sgt,

Posts: 2008 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Fruitcake is good as long as it doesn't have those little green mint chunks.... Smile

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29702 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a life long fruit cake connoisseur and have tried almost every fruit cake known to man. My favorite is from The Abbey of Gethsemani in Kentucky https://www.gethsemanifarms.org/fruitcake.aspx Add some bourbon and you have heaven. It is not as good as my grandmother's but it is the next best thing.

Posts: 992 | Location: Nashville | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Had them while in TX, tasty!

Glad they made it through the $17MM embezzlement by these shitheads!

Link

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12418 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MrToad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Those are nice cakes. Enjoy it.
Collin Street Bakery changed my mind about most fruit cakes and for years we've ordered them for my wife's family who love them.

Myself I'm a real sucker for Christmas puddings and have made my own in the past. My kids try to get me to only make hard sauce for them.

If you like religion, laws or sausage, then you shouldn't watch them being made.

Posts: 3342 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Never heard of this.

Apparently there is a movie w Will Ferrell being made about the embezzlement.

Its called "Fruitcake"

Who knew...

https://www.kltv.com/2020/02/1...ollin-street-bakery/

quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Had them while in TX, tasty!

Glad they made it through the $17MM embezzlement by these shitheads!

Link

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
The CSFC will last a year in a cold refrigerator. I just finished the CSFC that my mother gifted last year. Mrs. kablammo is a strict supervisor of portion control. I found that the sweetness is well balanced with a side serving of cheese such as havarti, gouda, and manchego. A CSFC fondue would probably be delicious.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I like Stollen, which is a German style of fruitcake typically eaten around Christmas.

Aldi carries it around the holidays.

Posts: 32512 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not a fruitcake expert by any means. But I got one at Costco that I thought was very good.

Posts: 621 | Location: northern VA. | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Apparently there is a movie w Will Ferrell being made about the embezzlement.

Its called "Fruitcake"

This was an interesting and memorable story when published, as a CPA. Making that story into a movie seems a stretch but hey, with Will it should be funny!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12418 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, at least this dispels the rumor, that there exists only one fruitcake in the world and people are re-gifting it.

Posts: 2560 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironworker:
I am not a fruitcake expert by any means. But I got one at Costco that I thought was very good.

The Kirkland Costco fruitcake is very good too - went to get one and they already sold out! The Costco baker told me that in her 24 years of working there, they had never sold out before Thanksgiving before. Eek
I'm going to try a collinstreet one for sure!

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3925 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post