SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Lawyers - Tell me about prenups.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lawyers - Tell me about prenups. Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted
Getting married in a month. I want to get a prenup written up that says any inheritance received by either party is solely theirs unless used to buy marital assets. How easy and legal is this to do? Can I add things in like after 5 years spouse is entitled to x percentage, after 10 years y percentage, etc.?

Also, not mentioned this to the fiancée at all. I am guessing most times this ends up in A) hurt feelings or B) a fight. She's pretty damn reasonable and knows I've been fucked by every ex I have ever had.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21150 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Find a lawyer who specializes in this and DO IT.

I wouldn't add a percentage clause either.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do it.

No need for a percentage clause, you can always be generous later. I’d also add in clauses agreeing to equal custody and shared parenting of any kids along with no spousal support.

Posts: 347 | Location: Ohio | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Not an attorney, but my wife and I executed one at her request.
We were both rational adults and we both recognized that it’s impossible to predict the future. Had the situation been reversed and she had objected, that would have been an obvious warning that I should have seriously evaluated my decision to spend the rest of my life with someone like that.

6.4/93.6
“Cet animal est très méchant, quand on l’attaque il se défend.”

Posts: 47720 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:She's pretty damn reasonable and knows I've been fucked by every ex I have ever had.

You've been divorced multiple times and want to try again? Hmmmmmm

Posts: 9030 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Laws vary by jurisdiction.

In my jurisdiction, you can't spring a prenup on someone. You'll want them to actually retain separate counsel and have them review it, even if you have to pay for it, to get the strongest protection.

Also, check the laws regarding inheritances in your jurisdiction. In my jurisdiction, inheritances are separate property. No point in bringing up a prenup if the default rules are already in your favor.

Posts: 13064 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by absolut18:
Do it.

No need for a percentage clause, you can always be generous later. I’d also add in clauses agreeing to equal custody and shared parenting of any kids along with no spousal support.

Why? What if she is batshit crazy down the road and you wouldn't want her to have custody at all? What if you end up with custody and now she doesn't want to contribute to child support? What if you end up being the stay at home dad, putting your career aside while she advances hers, and now you need support to get back to a job that can support you and kids?

Posts: 13064 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Are there certain states / jurisdictions where Prenups are considered strongest / most likely to hold? And if so, I take it someone has to live in said jurisdiction for that to matter, or?

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:She's pretty damn reasonable and knows I've been fucked by every ex I have ever had.

You've been divorced multiple times and want to try again? Hmmmmmm

Divorced only once, married college sweetheart. She tried to fuck me, but failed because her lawyer sucked. She ended up with one of my classic cars (not worth that much) and nothing else. The car was only to spite me because she couldn't get any $$$.

Ex-girlfriend #1got a free place to stay, free food and entertainment for a few years. Nothing serious, bailed her out a couple times <$500.

Ex-girlfriend #2 same deal as above but higher dollar amounts. Took care of her/kid for years and bailed her out a couple times <$2000. And one biggie of $10k.

Future wife never asked for one penny. I do buy 90% of food and pay larger amount of living expenses, but it's my house. She splits all other expenses - animal care, trips, home improvements, etc. She's got more in savings than me and has her head screwed on right.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21150 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
In my jurisdiction, you can't spring a prenup on someone. You'll want them to actually retain separate counsel and have them review it, even if you have to pay for it, to get the strongest protection.

Not a lawyer but I'm familiar with someone in litigation over a pre-nup right now. The issue in this case is that one party either intentionally or unintentionally mis-stated or failed to report the value on some of their assets in their disclosures up front.

The other party is using that fact to have the pre-nup invalidated, stating that they agreed to it based on bad information. The party with the assets is very likely about to lose a significant part of their assets. So, be sure that the other party is represented and that you fully disclose everything if you do it.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a lawyer either, but I am on the other side of the equation.

I took the initiative to get the pre-nup prior to moving in. I wanted to be clear it wasn’t about the money. If someone can’t put that in writing, I’d be concerned.

Cathy

Posts: 302 | Registered: August 10, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Laws vary by jurisdiction.

Also, check the laws regarding inheritances in your jurisdiction. In my jurisdiction, inheritances are separate property. No point in bringing up a prenup if the default rules are already in your favor.

Just did a Google Search. Apparently VA is a state where inheritances are separate property. Even if I/we use a portion to buy a house there are calculations to split out non-marital and marital assets.

Can any VA lawyers or those with experience confirm I read that correctly? It may not matter in bit if I read correctly.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
20 years, same woman, not married.

Marriage is the leading cause of divorce.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15864 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IANAL, but if you don't have the prenup done and signed more than one month before your wedding date, then it won't hold up in court because it will be considered a last minute ultimatum and the other party didn't have a fair shake at reviewing it.

Posts: 551 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: July 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dean of Law
Picture of heavyd
posted Hide Post
You won’t be getting married in a month if you ask for a prenup.

H. Dean Phillips
$99 Gun Trusts
https://nfalawyers.com

Posts: 6616 | Location: Georgia | Registered: December 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Less than a month from the wedding and now you bring this up?

Unless you got engaged last week I hope that you are of the frame of mind that she may be a little pissed/hurt.

Seems to me this is the type of conversation you have over time, not while she is doing dress-fittings and has already told her girlfriends, "no" when they inquired as to whether or not you had asked for one.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12407 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also, not mentioned this to the fiancée at all.

Getting prenups and not mentioning at all to fiancee? Man, this is a disaster, my friend.

Q

Posts: 27628 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Poor judgement waiting to bring this up a month before getting married unless you just received an unexpected windfall.

Posts: 4011 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 13128 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

Also, not mentioned this to the fiancée at all.

You should have done it shortly after you got engaged. At this point, you're risking she will feel cornered between signing a prenup that you didn't give her a heads up on or not getting married to you.

Bring up the subject now so that you guys can talk about it. Everybody hates having something being sprung on them and feeling like they don't have any say so.

I don't know how she feels about it but you best know soon enough.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20080 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post