SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Lawyers - Tell me about prenups.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lawyers - Tell me about prenups. Login/Join 
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
+1 for JHE, also, then "your lawyer" gets to be the cynical a-hole who's dreamed up the mother of all pre-nups, post-nups, and perhaps a will. Tell her it came up when you saw him about keeping her "protected"... OK, so lying might not be a good idea, but lawyers are used to taking the blame...

Posts: 5930 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Low Country, SC. | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
I guess she doesn’t peruse SF, hopefully? Big Grin

Best wishes for a long, happy marriage. 35 years for us.

Edited to add: no pre-nup. We shared each other’s inheritances.

Posts: 12950 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
I guess she doesn’t peruse SF, hopefully? Big Grin

Best wishes for a long, happy marriage. 35 years for us.

Edited to add: no pre-nup. We shared each other’s inheritances.

Ditto here. 38 years and we've shared everything, good and bad from day one. Wouldn't have it any other way.

I wish only the best for you and your fiancé Skins. I've got nothing regarding a prenup. I'm just glad it was unnecessary in our case.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I did a pre-nup prior to getting married. My wife absolutely couldn't care less. She had no interest in really even reading it, just said "where do I sign?" I made her read it though and understand what it means.

Basically, my wife had zero assets when we married. I brought everything into the relationship, including my condo which was only a few years away from being paid off. However, not only did I bring in all the assets, I also brought in all the debt. My wife had no debt whatsoever. The prenup reflected that as well.

So it was good for both of us. My lawyer did make me change or modify a few of my "demands" since those things may not have been deemed "reasonable" or "fair" by a judge which could cause the whole thing to be invalidated later. A good lawyer will guide you through that stuff though.

My prenup was pretty basic though. I think it cost me about $1,000 or a little more.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30954 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
This whole conversation reminded me of a friend who was a lawyer back in the 80's in Houston when oil money was flowing around like leaves in Autum.

When introducing his wife he would say " I'd like to introduce you to my future ex wife _____"

Also, the only sound advise here was given by the only attorney to have commented (the others must be rolling their eyes!)

GET A LAWYER!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6482 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife and I were both dirt poor when we got married. We were both in debt. My mother offered to pay for a prenup before our wedding in the event that one of us was stuck with the others debts. We both declined and spoke to a lawyer together that drafted a contract between us that neither was obligated to the others previous debts. Cost me $100 and got my mother off my back.
My wife and I are happy with 3 kids and I’m almost debt free and once I am I will start paying hers off.
We are a team I work my ass off so she can raise the kids until they enter school. Then she goes back to work.
Money is a stressful thing. You need to discuss and disclose all of it to your fiancé. Honesty is the path to a successful marriage. Dishonesty will lead to misery.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: March 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post