SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    8 Alabama death row inmates ask to be executed by nitrogen gas
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

8 Alabama death row inmates ask to be executed by nitrogen gas Login/Join 
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
How 'bout skipping the execution and just burying them?
I think that could be a deterrent also.

Posts: 7355 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
How about killing them the same way they killed their victims?

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
They're just proposing that because it's another delaying tactic.
I agree it's a cheap easy and reliable method and don't know why it's not the specified method everywhere. They could add CO2 to the list while they're at it. The only issue I can think of is that there's no medical grade I've heard of, not that should matter but would because it's another way to delay.
A few years ago I remember a restaurant having a leak at the cO2 cylinder and two employees in the storage room and one person in an adjoining restroom passed away quickly and quietly so it sounds like it would work.

Posts: 9508 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
<snip>
They could add CO2 to the list while they're at it. The only issue I can think of is that there's no medical grade I've heard of, not that should matter but would because it's another way to delay.
<snip>

CO2 wouldn’t survive the “cruel and unusual punishments” striction.

When a person is suffocated, it’s not the lack of oxygen that causes agony. It’s the build up of CO2.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8951 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
quote:
Originally posted by mark60:
Death penalty should be by the least expensive means possible.

I just bought some .22lr for 1.5 cents a round. I'd donate 3 rounds per for the 8 condemned... What is that .36 cents? SOLD!

A bullet or a rope. Don't care which one.

Rope.
Reusable, reliable and readily available.
Not too hard finding a tall tree or building gallows.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8342 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark60:
Death penalty should be by the least expensive means possible.

I’ll buy the rope.
If you use hemp, it’s natural and recyclable.
Oil it,
Flip it end for end every use and it will never wear out.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11278 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Inmate to be first executed with nitrogen. Finally, common sense prevails.

“A murderer who killed a preacher's wife in 1988 is set to become the first death row inmate in America to be executed with nitrogen. 

Alabama officials want to put Kenneth Eugene Smith, 58, to death by nitrogen hypoxia - forcing him to breathe only nitrogen, depriving them of oxygen and causing them to die.

Several states have authorized the method, which is said to be painless, but it has still never been used.

Critics have said authorities would be 'experimenting with a never before used method - but even Smith has said he would prefer death by nitrogen to a lethal injection.

The Alabama attorney general's office on Friday asked the state Supreme Court to set an execution date for Smith. The court filing indicated Alabama plans to put him to death by nitrogen hypoxia.

Nitrogen makes up 78% of the air inhaled by humans and is harmless when inhaled with oxygen. Proponents of the new method have theorized it would be painless.

Alabama authorized the method in 2018 amid a shortage of drugs used to carry out lethal injections, but the state has not attempted to use it until now to carry out a death sentence.

Oklahoma and Mississippi have also authorized nitrogen hypoxia, but have not used it. …”

DailyMail article:
https://mol.im/a/12448121

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8951 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Switch to liquid nitrogen and shatter 'em like the movie Terminator.
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
"At least for the prisoners who elected nitrogen gas over lethal injection, there will be no executions until Alabama has an approved nitrogen-gas protocol in place. It will take time for that to happen and, because the gas protocol will also be untried, it will face its own set of legal challenges," Dunham said.

And thus, we have the reason for the eight "volunteers".

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wasn't there one company in the US that makes that lethal cocktail? I bet that equipment isn't cheap, either. Compare that cost to a scuba tank with nitrogen and a mask. Follow the money.

Posts: 2366 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Put the lucky fellas in a pool.

Throw dry ice in the pool.

They'll float when they are done.

Simples.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Give 'em helium instead and they can all go out sounding like Alvin's chipmunks.

Helium is also very effective. I've seen helium suicides.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Give 'em helium instead and they can all go out sounding like Alvin's chipmunks.

Slow down deep pockets - helium supply is tight and expensive - worth way more than some thugs life.
Just tarp the whole death row like for fumigation, run a hose and nitro away.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4577 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
“A murderer who killed a preacher's wife in 1988

This is why the death penalty is not a deterrent. 35 years? Killing him now is pointless.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
A tad messy but quite effective. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16210 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a plan, but I can't help but opine that some folks are better off being executed by boiling. Ask any father whose daughter has been taken away, mass-raped and then butchered.

Posts: 11322 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Switch to liquid nitrogen and shatter 'em like the movie Terminator.

Ooooo neat never thought of that. Ha

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para

Posts: 7903 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nitrogen is cheap . Sounds like a good idea if they could keep from complicating the process .

Posts: 4056 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post