SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Aldi grocery stores
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aldi grocery stores Login/Join 
posted
does the fact that they are owned by a German company ( according to the local news caster)
make any difference at all ?

Same with target and the french owners.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55177 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have an opinion about Aldi, but Target is based in Minneapolis. I wasn't aware of foreign ownership.

Posts: 9023 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does ownership really matter? I've never been in an Aldi, but really who cares who owns it if you like the prices and the store.....wellllllll, maybe I'd boycott a Middle Eastern owned store/chain.....but other than that no.

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
does the fact that they are owned by a German company ( according to the local news caster)

Fun fact: Trader Joe's and Aldi's are owned by the same company - the Aldi family trust in Germany.

They were founded by two German brothers who carved up Europe and the rest of the world into territories where each chain could operate...

Posts: 2346 | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enjoy Aldi. They don't have everything I always need, but I'll gladly shop there.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
Aldi is a great store. I work for Germans and find I prefer them in many ways. Good, no bullshit people for the most part.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
Aldi, is an excellent store. I think the fact they are a German owned company has some bearing, but they are a very good company to work for in our area. They pay better than the other stores. The quality of their stores, and product is the reason I shop there. They also are more efficient, and I feel that is one reason their prices are good.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9088 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yeah, they frequently have specials on German food. Various kinds of wurst, red cabbage, lots of good stuff.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31385 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
Oh and I lived on their 2.7 euro bourbon when I was in Germany.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MattW:
They don't have everything I always need
You win the prize for Understatement Of The Month.

I check out at the register, the cashier asks "Did you find everything you were looking for?"

This is a joke, right? I NEVER find everything I'm looking for, at Aldi. It seems like half the time, the items I went there for are out of stock. "Oh, the warehouse didn't send us any of that today."

matter of fact, last week I was thinking about starting a rant about this. I didn't though, because my vision was blurry. Razz

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31385 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
Aldi, low prices, store brand items are good quality.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't give up Budweiser when InBev bought bought them or Miller and Coors when Molson purchased them.

Posts: 185 | Location: Deep Creek Lake, MD, Stuart, FL.  | Registered: December 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reloader-1:
quote:

Fun fact: Trader Joe's and Aldi's are owned by the same company - the Aldi family trust in Germany.

They were founded by two German brothers who carved up Europe and the rest of the world into territories where each chain could operate...

No, Target is not French owned.

We have a Trader Joe's and Aldi not too far apart, so if they carved up the world, they didn't do a great job.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2390 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Personally, I think it's a good thing. They carry German stuff I like that I can't find elsewhere around here, like Spaetzl and Stollen.

quote:
Originally posted by SigJacket:
We have a Trader Joe's and Aldi not too far apart, so if they carved up the world, they didn't do a great job.

There's no "carving up" involved. They're two different types of grocery stores, targeting two very different populations. Higher-end vs. value-priced. (Think Whole Foods vs. Dollar General.)

Posts: 33038 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10 November, 1775
Picture of MarinetoRN
posted Hide Post
We have one opening somewhere around here. I'm going to give them a try. Don't really care who owns them unless they start sticking me in the eye with a sharp stick. Much like Starbucks recently.

SiGArm'd

P220ST X2, 1911 Revolution, P245, P229 RTTEQ/ST .40 X2, P226ST, Mosquito
Other weaponry not SIG

Glocks are ugly.
I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders.

Posts: 2471 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: August 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
I shop at Aldi as my regular grocery store. We also have another German grocery store, "Lidl", opening soon that I want to check out.

Posts: 1634 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I shop there from time to time depending on what is on sale.

They had Stollen fruit cake at Christmas time for half price,

Posts: 11892 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gmcc:
I didn't give up Budweiser when InBev bought bought them or Miller and Coors when Molson purchased them.

Yeah, you should have given up on Coors long before.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53238 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MarinetoRN:
We have one opening somewhere around here. I'm going to give them a try. Don't really care who owns them unless they start sticking me in the eye with a sharp stick. Much like Starbucks recently.
They're building one about 50 miles from me. I think it'll be ready about Labor Day. From what I've read here over the years, I'm looking forward to it opening. I'll have a chance to get foods I probably haven't seen outside the BX, years ago.

Posts: 5784 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have an Aldi's close to us, and the quality of the food is good as well as the prices. The produce is hit or miss, but surprisingly very good quality vacuum packed meats / steaks. They carry German chocolates as well which is always a nice treat.

Posts: 3578 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post