SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Aldi grocery stores
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aldi grocery stores Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed a nearby Central Market before relocating to the northwest, heard all the Trader Joe's, yada, yada gushing, don't get the excitement for TJs and Aldi.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: springnr,

Posts: 441 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imadat:
quote:
No, Target is not French owned.

When you pronunce the store name the way it was intended to be pronounced, you may think differently. Of course, the "correct" store pronunciation is "Tarjey..." Smile

Insignificant details like world HQ in MN, are just inconsequential details that muck up a good story. Smile

Every so often I hear that bs about Target being French owned, not as a joke, either. I was at a health conference in MINNESOTA and a speaker made that comment to all present for her seminar (as a comparison to something else) and I had to pull my entire group the next day and take the thunder away from her presentation due to that very large inaccuracy.
Kind of makes you question everything else said when a known piece of information is so inaccurate.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5499 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aldi is setting up shop in my general location. Nearest one is quite a few miles away.

Excited and counting the months.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Something else I learned through experience at Aldi: I now always open the bag or package of fruit or vegetable. If the product is all good, I dump it into one of the plastic bags that they have for loose stuff and save the bar code for the cashier to scan when I check out. If items that were pre-packaged have mold or mildew, as the frequently do at Aldi, I hand it to an Aldi dude(tte) and try the next package.

I have found that their pre-packaged fruit and vegetables have a very high probability of mold or mildew on the inside pieces, where you can't see it unless you open the package. Moldy strawberries, oranges, onions, etc.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31385 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
We have one in my area, I've been in it a couple of times. I do not care for the layout. You also do not have much choice on products, i.e. if you want chips you have one brand only same goes for lots of other things. Also must pay a quarter for a buggy, you do get it back when you return it to the rack. I really just do not card for the store.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Aldi and now Lidl has very good selection of organic vegetables, since our child has been born my wife is all about organic.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3645 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks for the hints , tips and concerns may try them out.

and thats the last time I listen to a Harley rider about Target.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55177 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
Aldi is, I think, the 2nd largest grocer in the world. Lidl is coming and just as large. The pressure on already thin grocery margins will be very disruptive.

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigJacket:

We have a Trader Joe's and Aldi not too far apart, so if they carved up the world, they didn't do a great job.

SigJacket, I was just thinking basically the same thing. Then I saw you're in Roswell, too. Ha

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2161 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Ditto.

My wife (half-german) and I love the store. We don't get to the one next town up from us as often as we would like.

quote:
Originally posted by jehzsa:
Aldi is setting up shop in my general location. Nearest one is quite a few miles away.

Excited and counting the months.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
My wife and I live on a fixed income. By shopping at Aldi's we save more than a few $$$. Kroger is just up the street from us. Milk there runs $2.00 or so a gallon and tastes like water. Aldi's milk is $1.39-.49 and tastes like milk. Walmart's eggs were $1.39 a dozen; Aldi's were $.98 a dozen.
I find the extra 10-12 mile drive to Aldi's is worth it.
Only problem I have is our little village badly needs a grocery store and our local politicians are holding out for a name brand chain when an Aldi's would fill the bill.

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post