SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Quality Made in USA jumper cables
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quality Made in USA jumper cables Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Years ago when I still turned a wrench, the Snap-On dealer made a deal by throwing in a set of Snap-On jumper cables.

I assume they are US made, are at least 16 feet long, flexible when below zero, and have started many vehicles that other cables and jump boxes failed on. They are heavy, big, and I keep them in a crappy large briefcase.

Posts: 278 | Registered: October 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not so sure that copper clad aluminum is that great. Fine strand heavy gauge pure copper would probably be better.

quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
If anyone wants a deal I just got this Rural King ad in the mail.

Posts: 278 | Registered: October 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10953 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for a jump box, instead of cables.

https://www.amazon.com/GOOLOO-...table/dp/B0748D8KT6#

I'am told that owners of newer vehicles should consult their owners manuals , prior to using anything,
either cables or boxes.

Automotive computers are pretty expensive and some have specific procedures to follow.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54648 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dynorat:
... They are heavy, big, and I keep them in a crappy large briefcase.

That is a clever storage solution. I keep mine in a milk crate.

Posts: 1513 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRIO:
quote:
Originally posted by dynorat:
... They are heavy, big, and I keep them in a crappy large briefcase.

That is a clever storage solution. I keep mine in a milk crate.

That’s what I use. Have no idea where I got the milk crate from.

Posts: 796 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Having worked in the Dairy industry, you can't do that. Legally, at least. Frown I did that until I needed the milk case for other stuff. They also make good seats until you need to put the cables away.

Having not done so myself, I'm in the make them yourself camp. Doesn't take a whole lot of mechanical ability. The welding cable can be bought used. The clamps are better bought new.

The cables I've been using for the last 35 or so years came from a Jeep parts swap meet. Some fool was selling them. I have no idea how long they are, but long enough. Regardless of how the vehicles are parked, long is better. Guess I need to go find them for a check up, 35 years is long enough. No need for new cables. Copper is good, and you can often get your purchase price back. Maybe 50 years we'll try.

The cable is just wire. Thicker is better. Much thicker is much better. Imagine the longest distance you think you'll need, then add maybe 10 feet (x2). Used cable will work as well as high dollar new stuff. If you paid scrap price for it, it'll still bring scrap price tomorrow. If some idiot runs over the clamps, they can be replaced, too. Just look for the small ones as seen on telephone wire, or commercial "booster" cables. Make your own, no complicated electronics involved.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't advise long term "borrowing" from a milk supplier. I bought a milk crate from Home Depot for about $6.

Posts: 1513 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
Polar wire

I believe these are made in Alaska

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2539 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was forced to take off work today or lose vacation days. This allowed me to have a road trip. Went to Deka factory sales. Prices were not as good as online, but I figured difference was small enough to go ahead with the purchase. Bought their 1/0 20' cable set (04424). Makes my older decent set seem like junk in comparison.

I was considering the Polar brand item, or even making my own as suggested. I figured I would support my local industry buying from Deka.

These look durable enough to pass on after my demise.

--Tom
The right of self preservation, in turn, was understood as the right to defend oneself against attacks by lawless individuals, or, if absolutely necessary, to resist and throw off a tyrannical government.

Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Amazon Prime with free returns has the...

15 Foot 1/0 AWG 0 Gauge Heavy Duty Jumper Cables Booster Set by Spartan Power - 1/0 AWG, 15 Foot Made in the USA.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
I do have two jump boxes, one old school big box with built in air compressor (very handy) and one of the new style, an Audew 2000 amp.

I also have a couple sets of long fairly heavy gauge cables that both have clamps that have bit the dust. I used to use the oldest set as my loaner set but both sets are now useless.

Before I just throw them away I thought I might replace the clamps if it makes sense economically. Any recommendations for good replacement clamps?

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:

I also have a couple sets of long fairly heavy gauge cables that both have clamps that have bit the dust. I used to use the oldest set as my loaner set but both sets are now useless.

Before I just throw them away I thought I might replace the clamps if it makes sense economically. Any recommendations for good replacement clamps?

Yes, your local welding supply store. In fact, they will put them on your cables. They have a press especially designed for that. Professional they are.

Posts: 11847 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:

Yes, your local welding supply store. In fact, they will put them on your cables. They have a press especially designed for that. Professional they are.

Interesting tip. I didn't know that they would do that task.

--Tom
The right of self preservation, in turn, was understood as the right to defend oneself against attacks by lawless individuals, or, if absolutely necessary, to resist and throw off a tyrannical government.

posted Hide Post
quote:

If I didn't have Deka local to me, these were on my short list to consider. That is a decent price.

--Tom

posted Hide Post
Ok, took another look at the cables that I bought from Deka.

A few things to note. There are two cables, one black and one red, not joined together at all. The cables are marked as welding cables and made in USA.
The clamp is of an unusual design. It has a protusion for gripping side post batteries. Also, one jaw and protusion are copper sheet metal, and remainder of clamp is copper plated steel metal.

Just thought I'd mentioned details of the Deka set in case others are considering these.

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I carry a set of 15ft Spartan #2 AWG in my truck. Excellent Made in USA quality. $100 at Amazon. The Spartan 15ft #1 AWG are $148 at Amazon.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10787 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post