SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Quality Made in USA jumper cables
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quality Made in USA jumper cables Login/Join 
posted
I have my family on a AAA membership plan.

Often, I'm asked to help jump someone else. Guess they think "It's a Jeep thing " to be helpful and prepared.
Currently, have two vehicles, but one jumper cable set.

Looking to buy another set. Must be of good quality and made in USA. What do you use or recommend?

I came across this company. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Spartan Power Heavy Duty Jumper Cables
https://spartanpower.com/product/jumper-cables/

--Tom
The right of self preservation, in turn, was understood as the right to defend oneself against attacks by lawless individuals, or, if absolutely necessary, to resist and throw off a tyrannical government.

Posts: 1513 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buy a Lipo jump box instead. You don’t have to try and position a second car in what could be a tight or dangerous position and the new ones are so small that they take up less room than jumpers/cables.

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Those Spartan look nice and reasonably priced but the ones shown are 10Ft. which seems a little on the short range.
There is a dropdown menu to select different lengths.
You will need to decide the gauge and length based on what type of vehicle or use you anticipate.

Posts: 9520 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I need a set myself. I had a set made from welding cable, but they got stiff in cold weather. The LiFePo4 jump boxes are interesting, but the ones sized for my vehicle cost as much as I paid for my last pair of AGM batteries.

Posts: 10953 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
We had a thread like this years ago. It seemed to me that the consensus was to make your own.
I do recall most people wanting to make 20 footers because of battery and car placement.
I dont remember the cable gauge though and I guess the clips would be a preference.
One thing for me would be to get the cable with rubber not vinyl/plastic.
Since I have a diesel I carry two with me.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3866 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Morgan:
We had a thread like this years ago. It seemed to me that the consensus was to make your own.
I do recall most people wanting to make 20 footers because of battery and car placement.
I dont remember the cable gauge though and I guess the clips would be a preference.
One thing for me would be to get the cable with rubber not vinyl/plastic.
Since I have a diesel I carry two with me.

I worked part time for a bit at Advance auto. We had bulk battery cable, cut to length, I forget the gauge too. The clamps were there too, probably could find a better set of clamps elsewhere though. Don't know if the cable is US

Posts: 5325 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DEKA East Penn manufacturing, still makes some high quality USA made jumper cables. They also have some cheaper chinese stuff to avoid.

Posts: 423 | Location: Kansas | Registered: August 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
Buy a Lipo jump box instead. You don’t have to try and position a second car in what could be a tight or dangerous position and the new ones are so small that they take up less room than jumpers/cables.

There can be an issue with a jump box. Some cars (like the Acura TL that I had) have an access point at the battery for the positive lead but want the negative lead grounded at a different point. The cable on my jump box is way to short to reach any place that would serve as a ground. Also, the jump box I have (don't remember the brand, but was highly rated when I purchased it) worked fine on cars but would never jump my suburban - manufacturer of the jump box recommend I spend more money and get some sort of heavy duty lead. Thus, I continue to carry my trusty jumper cables (even if I have the jump box with me).

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was thinking of a 15 ft length, same as my current set. More than that seems too long.

I'm impressed that the jump boxes work. I just prefer cables since I know that they will last decades. My other cables are over 20yrs old, very heavy, and still work great. All markings are wiped off now. So I have no idea who made them. I do recall that they were pricey.

Posts: 1513 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Can't help with recommendations but will second the suggestion to get a portable jump setup. They are, of course, useless if not charged. I have a calendar reminder set to recharge mine every six months.

Also wish my dad was still around so I could thank him. I have a set of his that while short at ~8-10', were what he carried to jump off concrete trucks back in the day. These things are HUGE, and have clamps that would pinch off a finger. Of course the clamps are exposed metal, so you can have some arcing fun too if you aren't careful!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12421 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Calif Phil:
DEKA East Penn manufacturing, still makes some high quality USA made jumper cables. They also have some cheaper chinese stuff to avoid.

Trio
I see you're in the area....call the Deka factory store and drive over for a long heavy-duty set of cables. US made and much lower cost

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4580 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Wander into your local welding supply store. They will make you whatever you want. Ask for the cold weather super flexible cables. This will last you a lifetime.

I got one of those little jump boxes earlier this year when a member posted a really good deal on Woot.

Don’t buy any cables from Harbor Freight. I bought 3 sets and none could carry enough current to start a 4 cylinder Camry.

Posts: 11848 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:

And you won’t have to worry about jump starting somebody causing damage to your Jeep.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arfmel,

Posts: 26912 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I have no experience with that brand. When we were farming something always needed jump starting. I was sick of cheap cables breaking or disintegrating or being too short and finally broke down and bought a set of 25ft 1 gauge professional cables at the John Deere dealer. I think they were about $90-$100 but more than 15 years later they are still like new. I keep them in the truck box. Hot or cold temps they remain flexible, but handling those thick cables is still like wrestling a python. I also have a portable battery booster but it would not start a big diesel on a cold day.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:

I carry both. I had an instance where the microsensors in the lipo box wouldn't allow a boost. Too much resistance, not enough resistance, faulty ground, who knows, but the computer wouldn't give me an all clear to jump. I just stood there looking like an idiot with my fancy battery jump box for a few minutes. Out came my cables and we got the car started.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did have an experience where we came upon a truck trying to jump a car for several minutes. I noticed the cables were very thin. I offered to them my cables and car started within seconds. When we removed the thin ones, they were very warm, almost too hot to touch. So I definitely understand the need to have copper instead of copper clad aluminum.

I will have to check out Deka. Thanks for the suggestion.

--Tom
The right of self preservation, in turn, was understood as the right to defend oneself against attacks by lawless individuals, or, if absolutely necessary, to resist and throw off a tyrannical government.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
quote:

And you won’t have to worry about helping jump start somebody causing damage to your Jeep.
Totally agree. I keep one in each car and have never had a problem and you don’t have to rely on someone else. I have lent it out at work many times and when you first hand it to someone they are very skeptical only to come walking back in to give it back with a big smile on their face. Most people end up buying their own. The newest ones will start 20 something cars with dead batteries and I think it was 5-8 diesel trucks.

Where I work everyone parks in a garage and more often than not you don’t have good access to the front of the car.

Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRIO:
I have my family on a AAA membership plan.

Often, I'm asked to help jump someone else. Guess they think "It's a Jeep thing " to be helpful and prepared.
Currently, have two vehicles, but one jumper cable set.

Looking to buy another set. Must be of good quality and made in USA. What do you use or recommend?

I came across this company. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Spartan Power Heavy Duty Jumper Cables
https://spartanpower.com/product/jumper-cables/

From looking at their web site the only thing that indicates these are made in the USA is the Made in USA logo on their home page. Their contact page shows a location in Reno identified as the Reno office. Legit made in USA manufacturers usually will show more info on their web site promoting that they are really made in the USA. Snap shots of their manufacturing facility, or saying proudly made in (insert Anytown USA here). I see nothing like this on their web site. I'd email and ask them where their manufacturing facility is located and ask if they use American sourced materials. Sadly there are a lot of these places that will try to take advantage of you're patriotic buying saying they are made in USA when all they have is a small office located here.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^

On the linked page:

All heavy duty jumper cables are Made in the USA using UL listed cable with seamless tinned copper ring terminals and adhesive lined heat shrink which is resistant to water, fungus, and UV light.

MADE IN THE USA, BUY AMERICAN!

Posts: 8961 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If anyone wants a deal I just got this Rural King ad in the mail.