SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    All Electric car produces less pollution?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

All Electric car produces less pollution? Login/Join 
posted
Assuming that the electric power plant in your city burns coal or oil to produce electricity, do electric cars produce less pollution?

An electric car has to be plugged in to an electric circuit at your house in order to get recharged. That electricity is produced at the plant miles away. A Petroleum product is burned to turn the generator and pollution is released into the air. Electricity travels down the wires and some power is lost through resistance. The process is not completely efficient.

Is the pollution generated to charge the elect car less than the car would generate if it were a gasoline powered car of equal power and range per tank/battery charge? I understand that there are many variables like mpg and distance from power plant etc.

If the difference is huge, mph won’t make a difference.

What I’m getting at is are we being fooled?

Anyone out there with any knowledge or insight?

I understand that power produced by wind solar, water, nukes won’t generate petroleum byproducts. I am referring to petroleum based fuel fired power plants,not including natural gas.

Comments?

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was just having the same conversation with my wife. Over 50% of the electricity on my grid is produced by burning fossil fuels. Another 22% is generated from nuclear. The balance from hydroelectric. Minute amount from wind and solar.

I am sure there are some electric car geeks here that can chime in and know exactly what is costs to charge their car vs. mileage vs. gasoline equivalent costs.

The bigger questions is - if 75% of the US converted to electric vehicles tomorrow - and the fossil fuel footprint was reduced to practically nothing - would anyone be able to drive anywhere at all?

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
All things equal, power plant generation will be more efficient and environmentally friendly.

A combustion engine uses little mini explosions to create pressure to move a crankshaft. Only a little bit of the fuel's stored energy is converted to gas pressure. Most of the energy is lost as heat being ejected out the exhaust and radiated out.

At a power plant, electricity generation is done by burning the fuel completely, and using the heat energy to turn a turbine. More of the fuel's stored energy is used, and combustion can be made cleaner through super high temperatures and scrubbers.

Also, there is increased efficiency due to scale.

If it was more efficient to generate power at the point of use wigh an internal combustion engine, we would all have generators attached to our houses and have piped natural gas as fuel.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Mining the needed metals and the ore refining generate their own kinds of pollution. As well, some of the metals come from countries that are in states of civil war or other instability, are hostile to the US, or both.

The real issue with electric cars is the watermelons (green for environmentalism on the outside, red for communism on the inside) trying to force us into them.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
https://www.prageru.com/video/...c-cars-really-green/

Related:

https://www.prageru.com/video/the-war-on-cars/

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38678 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Put me in the camp all this electrical vehicle/transportation crap is bullshit. Pure and simple.

Sure lets have the chicom's build more batteries. What a croc. All this environmental save the planet bullshit is all more propaganda for the school children.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19188 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some of you are missing a step in the process . Fossil fuels are burned to boil water , create steam ,which is then used to spin a turbine . AFTER WHICH , this steam is then condensed , the water is cooled and is recycled back through the process . There are a whole lot of fans , pumps , etc. which are themselves consuming electricity .

Posts: 4058 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
It’s not quite that easy but in some locations electric cars can actually increase the overall pollution.

I read a study that was published by ASME last year that looked at the impact of EV at various locations around the world. I will see if I can find it.

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
As for what I have come to understand is that the lifespan of an electric vehicle is 1/3 of a conventional one.

If the environmental impact were the primary objective, wouldn't we get tax subsidies for buying a used car?

Posts: 9155 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Something I'd like to see is the Carbon footprint of an EV vs. normal car. I can't believe it is any better with all the battery requirements with the EV.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5752 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Also, for many, an electric car has little to do with being greener. A Tesla Model 3 is supercar fast with a 0-60 of 3.2 seconds.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Don’t care about relative pollution. All the analysis above is too high level to know the real differences anyway. There are larger threats to quality of life than just ice vs ev pollution. I’ll be long gone.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It doesn’t really matter what we think that is where the entire industry is headed. I’ve read studies arguing both sides so I’m not sold on either being better for the environment. I personally think the push is that it will be way cheaper to manufacture an electric car than an ICE car in the near future and an electric car seems to be way easier to make autonomous which is also where we are headed whether we like it or not.

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And an autonomous car is easier to regulate, control and tax.

Recently the Tesla servers were down and people couldn't get into their cars since most don't use the keys.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13401 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:

Recently the Tesla servers were down and people couldn't get into their cars since most don't use the keys.

Which was a personal choice. Tesla gives you a card like key that you can easily keep in your wallet. If someone relied on their cell phone to unlock their car, and they didn't carry the physical card key, that's their bad. No different than relying on your phone as a payment method and not being able to pay for something because if a network outage or no service.

Saluki
posted Hide Post
My fallback position on this. If it were actually better I would know it without having to sit down with a slide rule and a thermodynamics expert. Every swinging dick in town would be driving one, sorta the same way I don’t see any horses at the store.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5151 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:

Seriously? I would consider this mission critical with multiple redundancies. Unless Tesla is saying don’t depend on it.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
quote:

Seriously? I would consider this mission critical with multiple redundancies. Unless Tesla is saying don’t depend on it.

Tesla provides a credit card shaped key.

The Tesla app that allows you to access and manage your car is a convenience feature.

No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
And an autonomous car is easier to regulate, control and tax. .

I understand California is considering a per mile excise for electric vehicles, as they don't pay gasoline taxes but do use the roads.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Thinking the push for electric vehicles is mostly having the manufacturers get the EPA off of their collective asses.

Posts: 9155 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post