SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    All Electric car produces less pollution?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

All Electric car produces less pollution? Login/Join 
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ugeesta:
Something I'd like to see is the Carbon footprint of an EV vs. normal car. I can't believe it is any better with all the battery requirements with the EV.

I have a friend in Silicon Valley, Ph.D. in electrical engineering, worked for an elite engineering firm, the electric grid was one of his specialties. His analysis was that electric cars, when considering manufacturing, operations, disposal, was a less efficient use of energy resources, and did more overall harm to the environment, than gasoline powered cars.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
And an autonomous car is easier to regulate, control and tax. .

I understand California is considering a per mile excise for electric vehicles, as they don't pay gasoline taxes but do use the roads.
It's not just California. Did you really think a politician was going to be happy sucking less money out of people by missing out on gasoline tax money.

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Think of a big city in the south with long hot summers, especially close to the coast where humidity is high.

Early in the AM before a million indoor workers arrive (office, restaurant, services etc), A/C units are cranked to bring temps to working daytime temps and to allow for body heat load. Elect power companies adjust their output to allow for this surge.

With conversion to elect cars, now there will be a similar surge when the commuters return home and a great many will have to plug in and recharge.

I guess one could evaluate the estimated additional pollution generated at the plant vs average per petrochem car pollution load vs number of area elect cars.

From what I’ve picked up here, the main emission load from elect cars is in their production.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I may be incorrect but isn't it all for nothing unless we get the Indians and Chinese to stop polluting? I thought this was a global problem and needs a global solution. So you can drive an EV assuming it's a net reduction in energy consumption and it's still just a drop in the bucket, maybe just a drop in the ocean.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxdog:
Think of a big city in the south with long hot summers, especially close to the coast where humidity is high.

Early in the AM before a million indoor workers arrive (office, restaurant, services etc), A/C units are cranked to bring temps to working daytime temps and to allow for body heat load. Elect power companies adjust their output to allow for this surge.

With conversion to elect cars, now there will be a similar surge when the commuters return home and a great many will have to plug in and recharge.

I guess one could evaluate the estimated additional pollution generated at the plant vs average per petrochem car pollution load vs number of area elect cars.

From what I’ve picked up here, the main emission load from elect cars is in their production.

I think one of the arguments for EVs is that most charging will occur overnight and utilize the grid during off-peak production. For places that produces wind/hydro power, this is a key benefit as there would not be any place to store that power otherwise.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxdog:

Early in the AM before a million indoor workers arrive (office, restaurant, services etc), A/C units are cranked to bring temps to working daytime temps and to allow for body heat load. Elect power companies adjust their output to allow for this surge. . . .

And in Southern/Central CA, there is a big hit in electricity demand in the afternoon as workers get home from work and turn on their home AC.

A few years ago CA had revolving black outs as they simply didn't have enough electricity to meet demand. CA appointed a couple of purchasers to buy electricity on the spot market, seems they paid premium spot prices (from CA taxpayer money) to firms in which they had equity positions. Hmmm.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ugeesta:
Something I'd like to see is the Carbon footprint of an EV vs. normal car. I can't believe it is any better with all the battery requirements with the EV.

Don't forget the carbon footprint created while making the batteries. That's significant.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^After they're beyond their useful life those batteries need to be disposed of too... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8888 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
^^^After they're beyond their useful life those batteries need to be disposed of too... Wink

Not a problem, dump them in the ocean. Smile

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
One would think it's possible to do a Total Pollution comparison between an EV and a conventional vehicle taking into account batteries, life cycle, oil used at the electric plant to charge the vehicles, etc.

I wouldn't be surprised being that it's still new technology that the EV is still more polluting.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19664 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
All this environmental save the planet bullshit is all more propaganda for the school children.
Currently, this country can't even determine who should use which bathroom, or if boys and girls are different, so forgive me for asserting this group of retards are far too stupid to ever have any appreciable impact on the planet. If the earth actually had a voice, it would be laughing hysterically at the little humans and their ridiculous arrogance.

As has been shared and discussed ad-nauseum in similar threads, until some major new development occurs in battery tech that substantially moves the needle in terms of storage and recharge times, or in renewables in general, all this talk of electric cars taking over is hysterically moronic (i.e. the subject of liberal circle jerks).

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
And an autonomous car is easier to regulate, control and tax. .

I understand California is considering a per mile excise for electric vehicles, as they don't pay gasoline taxes but do use the roads.
And just how do they propose to get the real information about miles driven? The gas tax is paid at the pump--no getting around it. To be sure that drivers weren't cheating they'd have to put electronics in each vehicle to broadcast mileage to some central taxing authority, and I suspect it would not be difficult to disable those.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Manufacturers of EVs need to be responsible for developing a solution to deal with the lithium toxic goo in the used batteries that shifts the costs to EV owners, otherwise, I guarantee it will fall on taxpayers.

The power grid does not have anything close to the capacity necessary to handle the demand created by a significant shift to EV adoption. There are significant environmental costs to expanding this capacity especially given we are not expanding nuclear power.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
And just how do they propose to get the real information about miles driven? The gas tax is paid at the pump--no getting around it. To be sure that drivers weren't cheating they'd have to put electronics in each vehicle to broadcast mileage to some central taxing authority, and I suspect it would not be difficult to disable those.

flashguy[/QUOTE] That's a simple fix. You will be required to get it checked and reported. Just like states with emissions test requirements. When you are there for that required test they also write your mileage down. Don't worry if there is a way to get their hand in your pocket they can always figure that out.

quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
all this talk of electric cars taking over is hysterically moronic (i.e. the subject of liberal circle jerks).

Except the pesky fact that the government is mandating it.

bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think one of the arguments for EVs is that most charging will occur overnight and utilize the grid during off-peak production.

If everyone has an EV or two, will there really be off-peak times if every household is charging cars?

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9160 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
quote:
I think one of the arguments for EVs is that most charging will occur overnight and utilize the grid during off-peak production.

If everyone has an EV or two, will there really be off-peak times if every household is charging cars?

That's the point. Currently, there's a peak demand and then demand drops off into the night. Power plants can't store excess power, so there's a bunch of production capacity that's wasted.

A bunch of EVs out in the wild act as battery packs to store this production capacity.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There’s a fuckton of rationalization going on. The primary driver of EV is the perception of “green” clean usage. Say that here and you guys are all quick to say, nope not me I just like fast cars and tech. Well which is it? Fast cars and cool tech aren’t really good reasons to turn out infrastructure upside down to the tune of billions if not into the big T’s.

Let’s be intellectually honest. Why the move to EV? If it’s saving the planet then the math should be real easy. The math is anything but at this point. If it’s not saving the planet then why sink a fortune into infrastructure that isn’t saving the earth but makes for fast cool tech cars which is neat but isn’t a reason to make taxpayers subsidize your rocket starts from a red light.

Posts: 7498 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I'm firmly in the camp that environmental benefits are not one of my purchase considerations.

The question raised by the OP is whether an EV produces less pollution. I'm contributing to the discussion, even if such concerns do not affect me.

posted Hide Post
At this point the answer would be NO. The pollution derived from creating the batteries and building the cars exceeds any pollution that "may" be saved by using electricity instead of gasoline. The technology is not far enough along as far as batteries go.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
There’s a fuckton of rationalization going on. The primary driver of EV is the perception of “green” clean usage. Say that here and you guys are all quick to say, nope not me I just like fast cars and tech. Well which is it? Fast cars and cool tech aren’t really good reasons to turn out infrastructure upside down to the tune of billions if not into the big T’s.

Let’s be intellectually honest. Why the move to EV? If it’s saving the planet then the math should be real easy. The math is anything but at this point. If it’s not saving the planet then why sink a fortune into infrastructure that isn’t saving the earth but makes for fast cool tech cars which is neat but isn’t a reason to make taxpayers subsidize your rocket starts from a red light.
It's actually still quite a ways off considering it's almost 20 years away that the real heavy mandates start to hit. We tend to focus on the U.S. because that's where we live but we are NOT going to be the worlds leading early adopters. The U.S. is really spread out so infrastructure is much more problematic here which will make us a little slower to change over the entire fleet. Countries like China and India will be way ahead of us.

It's inevitable but full implementation is still quite a long ways off for the U.S. Very few people who have owned an EV ever want to go back to ICE unless they have a specific need that electric won't meet. Those specific needs will become less and less as the EV capabilities become greater and greater. That means over time EV will naturally be more and more prevalent. Combine that with the manufacturers wanting this to happen focusing the vast majority of development dollars being poured into electric and you can see what the obvious outcome will be.