SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How are you cooking your turkey?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How are you cooking your turkey? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I have been ‘grilling’ (essentially cooking it on the Weber) the turkey for the last two years with good results using ideas from these two recipes -

https://www.howsweeteats.com/2019/11/grilled-turkey/

https://tastesbetterfromscratc...thanksgiving-turkey/

It’s a great way to free up oven space and congestion in the kitchen, and I can also tend to a beer or three and a cigar out on the deck whilst ‘making sure’ that the turkey is doing o.k.

Posts: 3474 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cookster:
I can also tend to a beer or three and a cigar out on the deck whilst ‘making sure’ that the turkey is doing o.k.

A lot of people think you can just put stuff on the grill, or smoker, and it just magically gets done. They don’t realize the level of commitment it takes to monitor the cooking temperature, the food temperatures, and appearance of whatever’s cooking. I don’t know how I did it before I retired.

Posts: 3228 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Muddflap:
quote:
Originally posted by Cookster:
I can also tend to a beer or three and a cigar out on the deck whilst ‘making sure’ that the turkey is doing o.k.

A lot of people think you can just put stuff on the grill, or smoker, and it just magically gets done. They don’t realize the level of commitment it takes to monitor the cooking temperature, the food temperatures, and appearance of whatever’s cooking. I don’t know how I did it before I retired.

When grilling first became popular, or when I first noticed it was around 1960. I absolutely dreaded it when we went to a friend or relative's house for "barbecue" as it inevitably ended up cremated. Well done would've been a lot more rare than what they did.

So when I moved out on my own, I bought a Weber kettle and treated it much the way I treat an oven, time and temperature. I've had a lot of people tell me I'm one of the few they've seen who do it right.

Just got back from 2 weeks in a Condo in Hawaii and Mrs. Flash and I would sit on the lanai every night and watch people grilling. It was amazing. They'd lift the lid, flames would go up a foot or two, they'd flip whatever it was over and lower the lid with flames still coming way up.

People still don't know how to grill, I guess, but we got a few good laughs out of it. Mrs. Flash said I should go down and show them how it's done, but I told her that unwanted advise is a bad thing to try to give.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
My turkey is going to look, taste and smell like a pan-fried ribeye seasoned with Cavender's Greek seasoning.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Not off to a great start here.
Initial 500* done. Set to 350* for 2.5hr
Went to check after about an hour had elapsed. Oven was set to 170* Confused

Guess we're eating a bit later than expected.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15236 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Smoked with apple and spatchcocked. It is the only way I make them anymore.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7069 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I'm cooking my turkey by leaving it at the grocery store and smoking a tri-tip instead. Big Grin

Posts: 32477 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by UTsig:
We're doing traditional but we flip the bird during the baking. This has always resulted in rave reviews from guests.

I cooked a bird upside down once by mistake. There may or may not have been copious amounts of alcohol the night before. I had a heckuva of a time stuffing it and couldn’t figure out why. Then we took it out of the oven when it was done, and someone noticed it was upside down. Got a lot of compliments and it really was one of the best turkeys I had eaten.

Posts: 10896 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
^^^ My mom would flip the turkey half-way during cooking, starting with the bird upside down, and baste it every 90 mins.

She went all out on the holidays, getting up at 4:30 am to start slow cooking the turkey (prepped the night before w/stuffing) and prepare everything else req'd for the grand meal, which usually was at 2:30 pm.

This year my family & I are taking it easy. We picked up a smoked turkey breast from the Honey Baked Ham Co. I already snagged a slice and it's delicious!

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Not off to a great start here.
Initial 500* done. Set to 350* for 2.5hr
Went to check after about an hour had elapsed. Oven was set to 170* Confused

Guess we're eating a bit later than expected.

Turkey's out & partially carved. Mighty juicy & tastes great.

Posts: 15236 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
Smoked with apple and spatchcocked. It is the only way I make them anymore.

Next year I'm doing that. My poor Weber smoker doesn't get fired up often enough in the Winter.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Spatchcocked and well rubbed on our Yoder 640. Feeding 11.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4221 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
Planned on frying. Saw $50 tag on the peanut oil. Convection-roasted instead. Turned out delicious for the two of us.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the oven at 325.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.foodnetwork.com/re...urkey-recipe-1950271

Been using Alton Browns method for 12 or so years. Turns out great.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DennisM:
Planned on frying. Saw $50 tag on the peanut oil. Convection-roasted instead. Turned out delicious for the two of us.

Ended up frying ours and will save the oil and fry another for Christmas to maximize the oil. That said, the oil was more per lb than the turkey itself..

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2666 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
None of the above. I make spaghetti with ground turkey. Cooking now, about to drop the angel hair in the water and boil.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12607 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sasquatch28:
https://www.foodnetwork.com/re...urkey-recipe-1950271

Been using Alton Browns method for 12 or so years. Turns out great.

We used the same recipe. Omitted the ginger, apple & cinnamon though.
Brined for about 15hrs, not a dry bit of turkey to be had.
24lb bird, total about 3.5hrs in the oven.

posted Hide Post
We rotate holidays on my side of the family.
My uncle, then after he passed away, my cousin BBQ's the bird, as of the past few years there's been a few breasts in the smoker.
Never turned out bad! Crispy skin, juicy, tastes phenomenonal!

A few times on my wife's side, my wife and I will cook.
I don't know where she got the recipe, but daaammmmuuummmmm! Sage, apple cider, Apple cider vinegar and who knows what else. Cooked in the oven, so the house smells great! Fourth time, and another grand slam!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8331 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Roasted, dry-brined and spatchcocked the bird this year, everything else was going smoothly until I realized my sous vide circulator which was cooking the mashed potatoes was taking forever. No biggie, boiled-up a pot and tossed the sealed bags in, dinner was an hour later than we expected but, main bird was a hit as was the dressing. Now gonna have to look-up the warranty on this thing.

Posts: 14624 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post