SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I hate hurricane spaghetti maps
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I hate hurricane spaghetti maps Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
My neighborhood is in the eta pending review

Same as with my dad's place. Mad

Q

Posts: 27695 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I'm not in hurricane country, I'm in tornado country. But FWIW:

I was just talking to a friend who just pulled out a propane refrigerator/freezer, propane water heater, propane furnace, propane stove/oven from an almost new totaled out RV.

Almost brand new, newbie RV owner/driver just didn't understand the sign that read "low bridge" and tore the top off of it. Instant total.

He got the right to pull out the above mentioned propane appliances. He's going to make a small well insulated comfortable area and make a sort of mini hotel room and have the advantages of the above-mentioned propane appliances.

In addition, he's into solar, and it turns out if you take a not very big place, more like a small bedroom, you can get a mini-split very efficient AC unit. He has some solar and will increase it with LiFePo batteries (Lithium Ion Phospate), and with enough solar panels and such, he will be able to run the mini-split AC unit during the day and even part or all of the night (depending) and be reasonably comfortable, well at least as comfortable as one can be in what amounts to a small bedroom place. TV, internet, sounds great to me.

This will be built onto the backyard pool house/cabana and will be very well insulated.

Costs a few bucks, but since his wife has to be on oxygen part of the time, he can run her oxygen concentrator to take care of her. Being a retired mechanical engineer/nerd and being bored, well here it is for him.

Win Win.

I run my very small ham radio shack on Solar Power, and also have the commercial electric power we all pay a monthly bill for. I am very interested and excited about solar power. Solar can't replace everything, but it can make a comfortable and safe place to hunker down in.

If you are not aware of propane powered refrigerator/freezers, they are of the LINK To Absorption Refrigerated Devices.
This is old school, the really old fashioned ones very reliable do not require electricityto control. Today's more modern ones often use a very small electrical amount to run fancy electronic controls. That's really a non-issue.

Just a FYI for thought and learning something new. If you have an RV or know someone who does, hit them up for a tour of their RV system, how it works and what it takes. It's really simple.

Posts: 12002 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Our eta was today
Then today the map updated to eta tomorrow 7/15
Got a text from cp that our neighborhood is energized, noting on my block yet.
Wife saw commentary on instatokbookface that it could possibly be longer than Tuesday Mad

0730 tomorrow it'll have been a full week with no power.
Longest outage, for me, since Ike. My apt didn't have power for a little over 2 weeks with Ike.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 16036 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cloudy with a chance of meatballs?

Help with my medical fundraiser at https://fundrazr.com/d2PmG0?ref=ab_8BFKzc.

Posts: 2149 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Still no power. We went down at 0730 on 7/8

Current estimate is by EOD today.

Got a text from CenterPoint last night that our grid is energized.
I can see that the strip malls on the I45 frontage have their lights on, but none in my neighborhood.
Got a follow-up that 'there is an outage affecting 22 homes' which I take to mean our transformer is still down.
Guessing they have to go through each one & engage.

Posts: 16036 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
It’s pretty exciting when the lights get closer to your house street by street. Hope you get yours back today.

This was my street just before power was restored:

There’s five bucket trucks plus three of four other trucks.

Posts: 11711 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Neighbor just reported that power is on!
We'll see if it holds, some coworkers had it drop once or twice after getting restored.

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Was surprised to see still 255K without power. Dang.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12741 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Was surprised to see still 255K without power. Dang.

Last check was 222k on CenterPoint. Not including the other utility companies around Houston.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Just got done changing the oil in the generator.
Neighbors across the street have power, we do not. Different transformers I think. Same thing happened last time, they got power a few hours ahead of us.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Just got done changing the oil in the generator.
Neighbors across the street have power, we do not. Different transformers I think. Same thing happened last time, they got power a few hours ahead of us.

Posts: 24395 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Mad

Someone [homeowner] cut down a tree & Busted a transformer, took the whole neighborhood down.

Back to square 0. Hopefully they can get that fixed & pick up where they left off.

If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I was talking with a co worker about the hurricane and he showed me pictures of his shipping container. It was turned on its side, about 6 feet from where it was located, all from this hurricane with "only" 100 mph winds.

If I did not know the guy I would think he was lying, but, I trust him and he had pictures of that and other damage. It's bizarre for a cat 1 storm. Some people had zero damage and others had major damage. Others in his area had metal buildings with roofs torn off and trees demolished. Some were massive oak trees. This storm did much more damage than I thought it would.

Posts: 4238 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
It really was much more than expected, which also likely added to the slow response afterward.

Here's hoping that's it for the year.